• Quote of the Day
    "There is no better exercise for your heart than reaching down and helping to lift someone up."
    Bernard Meltzer, posted by HBas

David Baxter

Administrator
This is one of the most baffling trends I've seen in my lifetime — rejection of science which has clearly demonstrated results in favor of fads which have nothing but a catchy name, the promise of an easy cure, and grifters touting its benefits without an ounce of evidence.

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
This is one of the most baffling trends I've seen in my lifetime — rejection of science which has clearly demonstrated results in favor of fads which have nothing but a catchy name, the promise of an easy cure, and grifters touting its benefits without an ounce of evidence.

"America was created by true believers and passionate dreamers, and by hucksters and their suckers, which made America successful—but also by a people uniquely susceptible to fantasy, as epitomized by everything from Salem’s hunting witches to Joseph Smith’s creating Mormonism, from P. T. Barnum to speaking in tongues, from Hollywood to Scientology to conspiracy theories, from Walt Disney to Billy Graham to Ronald Reagan to Oprah Winfrey to Trump. In other words: Mix epic individualism with extreme religion; mix show business with everything else; let all that ferment for a few centuries; then run it through the anything-goes ’60s and the internet age. The result is the America we inhabit today, with reality and fantasy weirdly and dangerously blurred and commingled."

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
“Self-realization means that we have been consciously connected with our source of being.”

— Swami Paramananda

"The opposite of this authentic self is everyday and inauthentic Dasein, the forfeiture of one's individual meaning, destiny and lifespan, in favour of an (escapist) immersion in the public everyday world."

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
“We yearn for tomorrow and the progress that it represents. But yesterday was once tomorrow, and where was progress in it? Or we yearn for yesterday, for what was or what might have been. But as we are yearning, the present is becoming the past, so the past is nothing but our yearning for second chances.”

― Dean Koontz, Brother Odd

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Words of wisdom from academia :)

"Fear of society, mediated through the superego, renders the subject passive and blind to the schematization of experience that society performs on its behalf. This, in turn, leads to a compulsive flattening of the field of experience, where the subject's contribution to the processing of experience is to insistently (due to unconscious fear of the superego) incorporate the new and novel into what already is the case."

~ Todd Hedrick

Last edited:

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
“Activity and rest are two vital aspects of life. To find a balance in them is a skill in itself. Wisdom is knowing when to have rest, when to have activity, and how much of each to have. Finding them in each other - activity in rest and rest in activity - is the ultimate freedom.”

"Dissolving the name is awareness. Dissolving the form is meditation. The world is name and form. Bliss transcends name and form."

― Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Celebrating Silence

Last edited:

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
“A human mind is a wandering mind, and a wandering mind is an unhappy mind. The ability to think about what is not happening is a cognitive achievement that comes at an emotional cost.”

~ Killingsworth and Gilbert (2010) :acrobat:

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
“When you’re constantly tuned into Stress FM you are not actually consciously aware and available in the present moment to experience life as it is. You miss out on countless potential feelings of joy, gratitude, connection and creativity because of your relentless focus on what could go wrong, or what has gone wrong.”

― Nick Trenton, Stop Overthinking

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
"I’m not sure how much meditation would have helped me concentrate in my early Microsoft days, because I was monomaniacally focused without it. But now that I’m married, have three children, and have a broader set of professional and personal interests, it’s a great tool for improving my focus. It’s also helped me step back and get some ease with whatever thoughts or emotions are present. I like what I’m getting from my 10 minutes every few days."

~ Bill Gates (2018)

Latest posts

Top Bottom