More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Catholics E-Mail Prayers and Candles to Lourdes
Thu Aug 12, 2004

LOURDES, France (Reuters) - Roman Catholics who can't make it to France for Pope John Paul (news - web sites)'s pilgrimage to Lourdes this weekend can now say a prayer and light candles there thanks to a new Internet service.

The Web site Croire.com -- "croire" is the French verb for "believe" -- is offering to add prayers it receives by e-mail to the intentions to be prayed for during the annual Lourdes pilgrimage the pope will attend on Saturday and Sunday.

For a five euro ($6.13) fee, it will light a candle at the grotto where Saint Bernadette Soubirous saw visions of Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ, in 1858.

Thierry Lamboley, editor of the site, said the prayer service had already brought in over 2,000 messages in several languages, some from as far away as India and Venezuela.

While this is an innovation for Europe's most popular Christian pilgrimage site, it is not the first time the Internet has offered long-distance prayers.

Jews have been able to e-mail prayers to Jerusalem's Western or Wailing Wall since 1996.

sammy

I'm a bit shocked they are charging for it....
We post prayer requests and pray for one another daily on the forum I began, (free :)) as with many Christian forums... connecting people who are believers in many distant parts of the world.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Well my first thought was that's kinda wierd, but on further reflection I realize it's more another example of helping people to reach out to one another across great distances.

I am one of 12 children and by now, including nieces and nephews and granchildren, we are spread out all over -- Canada, the US, England, Scotland, Australia, until recently Malaysia, and soon Costa Rica -- email and instant messenging as well as a family forum helps us all to keep in touch and keep up with each other's lives.

I know people worry about "virtual reality versus reality" issues but I think the 'net does more to bring people together than to isolate them...

sammy

I know people worry about "virtual reality versus reality" issues but I think the 'net does more to bring people together than to isolate them

I totally agree with that... :)
On the forum that I began, which I think I told you is by invite only, there is a 'safe'environment and 'atmosphere,' but one or two struggle with trusting (understandably because of their backgrounds...)

But some have 'conquered' incredible things, surviving abuse and awful things... I feel so priviledged to know some of them...especially one lady- whose life story I have read online today.... another of our forum members put it online for her, as she is still picking up some I.T. stuff...

I had tears in my eyes many times at the positive changes that have happened in this lady's life after the truly awful life that she had..
I am so close to her... we are planning to meet each other along with our 2 husband's...

Sorry- am rambling, :) but the point I wanted to make is.. a major problem is not the safety of the Internet, (I have explored it quite a bit), but trust... interpersonal trust, which can get damaged deeply, especially in early years...and it takes a lot to repair that...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
sammy said:
the point I wanted to make is.. a major problem is not the safety of the Internet, (I have explored it quite a bit), but trust... interpersonal trust, which can get damaged deeply, especially in early years...and it takes a lot to repair that...
Indeed it does... time, courage, and someone to come along who is worthy of the effort to trust again...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.