More threads by Vinton

Vinton

I've heard of this new treatment called eTMR. This clinic is situated at the Royal Ottawa but is it private.
The treatment is magnetic at the total cost is around $6,000.00

Anyone heard about it?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
This is still in the testing phase. Although the technology has been around for a few years, the efficacy has not yet been fully demonstrated. There are some short-term side-effects but the long-term effects have not yet been determined.

There are a few other threads here at Psychlinks discussing rTMS.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The treatment is magnetic at the total cost is around $6,000.00

There may be research studies that are still taking participants. I certainly wouldn't want to pay $6,000 since there's a significant if not likely chance one would feel the same after the treatments. The last time I checked, the research still favored ECT as being at least slightly more effective:

ECT more effective than rTMS for severe depression - Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum

However, ECT doesn't always help people, either, which is one reason it is used as a last resort:

Google

rTMS is also being studied for MS and Tourette's.

Vinton

I've bought a RHUMART yeas ago. This was design by Dr. Roland Drolet. It has helped many people.

David could you look up Rhumart and Dr. Drolet on the net. I would like your opinion.

I reember using the pads when I was depressed and it worked but was afraid in the long term.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Why not get a personal trainer to improve your aerobic output? Is it because of health issues? If so, maybe physical therapy, hydrotherapy, or massage therapy would be helpful.

At least for most people with depression, even severe depression, I would argue that 30+ minutes of aerobic exercise a day would more effective than psychosurgery like rTMS or ECT. I certainly didn't get any benefit from 8 sessions of ECT when I was a suicidal college kid.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I've bought a RHUMART yeas ago. This was design by Dr. Roland Drolet. It has helped many people.

David could you look up Rhumart and Dr. Drolet on the net. I would like your opinion.

I reember using the pads when I was depressed and it worked but was afraid in the long term.

Rhumart was a device developed for arthritis, not depression. I do know that certain types of electrical stimulation of muscles are used in physiotherapy but that's really not the same thing as rTMS at all.

I'd also note that with a quick search the only research I found on the efficacy of the use of the Rhumart device was by Drolet himself. That's not usually a good sign. Generally, if a new treatment is effective, one can find research by others on its use.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.