More threads by Cat Dancer

GDPR

GDPR
Re: What Are You Feeling Today?

I'm sure you will regret cutting your hair off CD. I always feel the urge to shave my head when I am feeling awful,but I don't do it.

You don't need to punish yourself.Get busy doing something to distract yourself.

GDPR

GDPR

I don't know why we get them. The urges are very strong for me sometimes,and I have a hard time fighting them.

I do cut my hair off sometimes though.Not all of it,just cut it off way shorter than I normally would want it to be.It feels like a release of some sort,almost like self harm feels.I always regret it later.

It is a very strong urge. I have cut a little bit of my hair before, but too afraid to just cut it all off.

GDPR

GDPR

I have even shaved my eyebrows off before. That's been humiliating. But the wanting to shave my head urge freaks me out. I'm afraid I will actually do it someday.

Banned

Banned
I moved these posts to their own thread because it might turn into a lengthy conversation.

i too get strong urges to shave my head sometimes. I don't know where they come from either but I almost did it a few weeks ago. I didn't because I had just paid a lot of money to get a perm and if I get a new job I applied for I want to go back to my blue hair.

i couldn't shave my eyebrows but I think often about shaving my head. I guess it's a rather harmless behaviour. I mean, iit's i just hair. It'll grow back, right?

GDPR

GDPR
it's just hair. It'll grow back, right?

Yes,it's just hair and it will grow back,but I can't imagine how awful I would feel if I actually did it. Would you be ok with it if you did it?

Do you just think about doing it or do you feel almost compelled to do it? I feel compelled most of the time,like it's something I have to do.

Banned

Banned
Sometimes I feel compelled, and I know I can go buy a wig, or just go bald for a while. I've never done it, and once I get my blue hair back I won't because I love my blue hair, but I've had that feeling so many times so I get it.

GDPR

GDPR
I am a 'hair' person. I never go anywhere without spending quite a bit of time fixing mine.I always get compliments on it,and it's pretty long,so I would not be ok with shaving it off.

The urges actually kind of scare me.

I didn't know other people thought this. I feel very compelled to do it too at times. But there is also fear of what if I did do it?

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I had a skin head for a long time in my teens as a direct result of taunting from my horrible gran mother about my hair being greasy

Which as a teenager it is

SO right up until I had my first child I had no hair... most practical hair cut I ever had...however

Once I became a mother I thought it was not a good look and grew it back in and then did not go to a hair
dresser for 8 years

When I did go I got it cut short again and found it practical because the kids where still young
Since meeting my partner I have grown it more out of lazyness than anything but the urge to cut it off still remains

He makes me promise not to do it as he says I have nice hair and I have been to the hair dresser once in say 5 years purely because I worry if I go I will "chop it all off"

Fundamentally I hate hair I have since I was a small child... I was a tomboy as a child and our mum used to use our hair as experiments... put rollers in them over night that dug into your head etc and you'd end up looking like shirley temple the next day pfft!

Hair takes care like brushing your teeth, plucking your eyebrows, shaving your legs and I think it is also deeply connected in some ways to others perceptions of yourself and all of these reasons are why I want to cut my own hair off on a regular basis...plus you save a lot of money on shampoo.

Coincidentally my daughter has just cut hers off in support of her brother who is having chemo just now and really misses hers... she stares longingly at the hair-care aisle every time we go to the super market but now she dyes it a different color every few days to alleviate this.

Hair is hair it grows back but I think it means a lot more than people give it credit for... it is the frame to our whole face and more.

The saddest thing for me is when my son is in hospital and I see the young girls who's hair has all fallen out looking at their pictures on facebook of how they used to look and nearly all of them had long hair I think hair means more to us than we give it credit for a lot of the time.

The human equivalent to peacock feathers.

GDPR

GDPR
For me,it's more than just wanting a haircut or thinking about shaving my head.It's more like an automatic reaction when I am really upset.It's like I want to purposely make myself look awful.

My hair is always chopped up because I take scissors and chop pieces off.I always regret it and then have to wait for those chunks to grow back.I have to pretend that's how I want it to look,because I don't really know what else to do about it. I have been doing this since I was really young.But I learned it from my mother.She would do the same thing when she was upset.Actually,she still does it.

Once,not too many years ago actually,I had some major drama going on and I drove to a barber shop,went in and demanded the barber cut my hair off.He didn't want to do it,but I demanded. And I really regretted it afterwards.My mother made fun of me for it and laughed about me to everyone.She told everyone that I did it because I felt so bad about what was going on that I wanted to make myself feel better.

It DID make me feel better,but I don't understand why it did.Maybe because it felt like punishment or something.

For me it would definitly be a punishment. I use my hair to hide and if I didn't have any i would feel so exposed and vulnerable.

Banned

Banned
I always say you can tell my mood by how I do my hair. If its down and in my face I'm usually depressed, insecure, etc. If its up I'm probably feeling confident and happy.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.