More threads by Cat Dancer

I'm jumping in here but hair is such an interesting thing...I've always been one to grow it long only to cut it very short....dye it every color of the rainbow (before I started my professional career at the bank)...I don't know how others will feel about this comment but but it was almost part of my rebellion/mutilation...make me different...that's what I was saying when I would try and cut it short and dye it crazy colors....it's weird that something that everyone has and everyone has to manage in a different way can define us so differently...hugs!

Banned

Banned
Even if it doesn't theres nothing stopping him from growing one (except maybe the respect of others).

all I know is I'm not impressed that I have to wait an extra month to go back to my blue hair :mad:.

I wonder if cutting off all your hair in a sort of violent manner or getting the same "release" as self-harm would be like when prisoners are shaved and undressed/dressed down... The holocaust came to mind as soon as I started re-adding this thread. They were shaved, made to wear the basest of clothing and it was just another tactic to bring down their sense of self and humanity.

I think it's a form of self-punishment if you do it that way, because it's taking away your identity, taking away something you have, making you just down to your bare bones kind of thing.

On the other hand, if it's just done for change, that's not as bad. And I have long hair, but occasionally had it cut short short short because my curls and hair were just nasty some times. I would be ashamed because I didn't know how to care for it properly, and the kids in my school were trying to braid it, brush it, or whatever. It probably resembled bramble. I had to learn how to use a curling iron myself. I don't think I had one until my teens. I was never good with makeup or other "tools" to "pretty" myself. I've always been a bit of a tom-boy. Easy care... Now at least I know how to braid, style, etc... It's a bit tougher when you aren't taught or don't have a role model you can compare to...

GDPR

GDPR
Well I don't actually HAVE a mullet.

Well,you could. That would be kinda cool,business in the front,party in the back. And as long as you never got out of your chair during business hours,never turned your head or anything,you could braid the back, if it was long enough, and nobody would even know.

Just kidding of course.Mullets went out of style for a reason.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
hahaha!

NO.... I want to log in one day and suddenly see absurd curls on the shoulders of that familiar friendly, professional-looking avatar....

...Which I guess would have to be done with a curling iron....

WORTH IT.

I wonder what, like, impression is given, by a psychologist or psychiatrist with a mullet.

GDPR

GDPR
If you already know you'll regret it,then just try to fight the urge.

Sometimes it helps if I go buy an expensive shampoo,or give myself a hot oil treatment,or even change the color.As long as I'm doing something to my hair,I can fight the urge.Well,not always,and I do regret it afterwards.

I was having that urge last week,and I was so close to whacking it all off,but then I made the decision to wait and do it Friday.By the time Friday rolled around the urge was gone.I'm so glad I didn't do it. Mark a date on the calendar to do it,and hopefully when that day comes you will change your mind.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I was having that urge last week,and I was so close to whacking it all off,but then I made the decision to wait and do it Friday.By the time Friday rolled around the urge was gone.I'm so glad I didn't do it. Mark a date on the calendar to do it,and hopefully when that day comes you will change your mind.

That's an excellent strategy for dealing with any compulsive urge or even cravings (e.g., for a cigarette, or a drink). Tell yourself to delay a day. Or an hour. Or half an hour. And then when you reach that goal, extend it for another period of the same length. Urges and cravings always diminish in intensity sooner or later so the strategy allows you to ride it out.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.