More threads by arboria

arboria

I adopted a kitten two years ago that was taken too early from her mother. (Her name is Tali.) Because of this, Tali tried to nurse our other non-lactating kitten (Mia) for over a year, even though she had never gotten a drop. I was concerned at first, but Mia handled the imposition quite well.

I am a believer in dry cat food as it aids in good oral hygiene for cats. Tali never ate much, so I initially thought that she was a picky eater. As time went by, I realized that because she was not properly nourished as an infant kitten, she might have digestive problems now. I tried canned cat food, and hallelujah, she ate like it was her last meal. She gets a third of a can every day now, but also eats dry food in between.

For some reason, I recently made the connection between Tali's insistence on nursing Mia even though she wasn't getting milk and my own desperation to meet some need with food. Just as it took time for me to find a solution for Tali's undernourishment, it will take time for me to find what I'm missing and learn to acquire it in a healthy way that does not involve overeating.

Over the last three years, I've had a major altercation with a family member back home, moved to Canada from the States, cut myself off from my in-laws over abusive behavior, adjusted to living with my husband when I hadn't before, worked in a corporate environment with only profit in sight at the expense of the health of its employees, my mother died, and my husband was laid off from his job. Now I think my sister is getting manic as well. I have lost a lot of emotional ground that I had gained in therapy over the previous ten years, and I have gained 35 pounds.

I wonder if the biggest trigger for my binging might be anxiety. I know that I tend to overeat when I'm tired also. I don't have energy to do anything, but I'm not ready for bed either. So I eat for energy even though I could go for a walk or practice yoga to get my blood pumping.

In order to decrease my anxiety:

I am going to have only one cup of coffee in the morning and drink caffeine-free tea instead when I need something flavorful, besides water.

I will pay attention to the thoughts that make me feel anxious and cognitively challenge them.

Exercise and progressive relaxation need to be part of my day also.

Lana

Re: sister in arms

Hi Aboria;

That is a very good insight that you've gained. Like you, when I'm upset or depressed, I tend to look for food. Comfort food. Which translates into sugars, carbs, fats, you know...all the stuff that tastes good.

I like the suggestions you've made and as I was reading them, I thought of another one: What if you (and I) were to write down how we're feeling when the urge to eat kicks in? I wonder if that would offer some distraction from food, and serve as a further insight.

amastie

I relate :(
Keeping such a record has been known to help a lot.
Good luch with that!
I admit it didn't work as well for me, but I know it has helped others very well.

arboria

Thank you, Lana and amastie. I like the idea of writing about the feelings that would spur on a binge.

I had a therapist years ago who told me that when I found myself ruminating about things to the point of affecting my productivity that I should write down my thoughts in a notebook and leave them there, so to speak. Allow myself the time to write and think, but put it away afterward. I've also heard this called the God Box, for those who might be religious. You write down what troubles you and put it into a box for god.

I think that lately my perception doesn't go much farther than 3 feet in front of me or 15 minutes ahead. I need to see the positive things around me and imagine the future that will be free of my current maladaptive behaviors and thoughts. I read a quote by Marie Curie, paraphrased "Be less interested in people and more interested in ideas." For me, this means to focus on my own thing (right now, school, house hunting) rather than my default mode of trying to help everyone but myself.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.