More threads by pocono

pocono

It has been years since I have posted here. This site has been important to me in my 10+ year journey towards health whenever me and my therapist came to an impasse. In the early days, that was with some frequency. Our task, it would seem, was to work through all the difficult times -- the suicide attempt, the subsequent multiple hospitalizations, the rage, the tears, the grief -- oh the grief.... and to try to grow closer, not farther apart (as was our initial pattern.)

He died last August. A combination of lung cancer and another lung disease. It happened fairly quickly. I was, of course, devastated.

I'm just coming up for air.

But I'm ok. Shaken but not toppled!

I've started with a new therapist. A woman this time -- strange for me to be with a woman; I've always had a challenge making friends and having women mentors even though I, myself, am a mentor to many other women.

It is going slow, but ok. Ok.

I'd like to do some research and writing about people in long term therapy as I have been with one therapist.

I'd like to talk with others who have been with one therapist for over 10 years -- 1 x a week (or more; mine was 2x a week!)

Pocono

Retired

Thank you for re-joining the Forum. Sorry to hear about your loss. I too was deeply saddened by the passing of my therapist several years ago.

We had been friends long before he became my therapist, so the loss was felt at several levels.

He made a difference in my life, both as a friend and as my therapist, helping me through some challenging times as well as through some dark times.

I saw him as friend, first and foremost, who happened to also be my therapist.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I'm so sorry for your loss, Pocono.

Wishing you peaceful times, and also good things with your new therapist.

Hope you will talk here anytime that you wish to.

pocono

Thank you for re-joining the Forum. Sorry to hear about your loss. I too was deeply saddened by the passing of my therapist several years ago.

We had been friends long before he became my therapist, so the loss was felt at several levels.

He made a difference in my life, both as a friend and as my therapist, helping me through some challenging times as well as through some dark times.

I saw him as friend, first and foremost, who happened to also be my therapist.

Thanks Steve.

I hadn't remembered that I actually posted a year ago right after my therapist died. You were the first to respond to that post as well. I appreciate your deep understanding. Thank you.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.