More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
I've heard and read different things about transference and I have a question. Some therapists immediately refer people on where there is a transference issue, and others work their client through it. What are the determining factors as to whether they refer out or work with their client?

GDPR

GDPR
I'm not sure what the determining factor is.

I have been having issues with transference and my therapist and I talk about it and try to work through it. As a matter of fact, we discussed this very thing this past week.

Banned

Banned
I know its a very common issue. I've dealt with it in the past by ignoring it and hoping it would go away. It kind of worked but I think there is probably a healthier way to deal with it. I'm going to bring it up tho too.

GDPR

GDPR
Yea, it's not an easy thing to talk about. I tried ignoring it too, but it didn't go away.I had a hard time bringing it up, but was glad that I did.

Banned

Banned
I think that was really brave of you. I'm not looking forward to it, but I definitely need to. I've already mentioned it so now I just have to address it.

I have read that working through transference issues (and counter-transference for that matter) are crucial to successful therapy no matter what the discipline. Seems to me that referring out defeats the purpose because the issue will come up with the second therapist. You cannot keep referring out every time transference rears its head.

To me, transference raises issues of:

boundaries
differentiation
family drama
authority
assertiveness
anger
fear

... and of primary importance, learning how past events contaminate interpretations of the here and now and figuring out how to listen to other with the ears and not the mind.

Banned

Banned
Thanks Darkside. We haven't had to talk about it yet but I'm pretty confident that if it becomes an issue, and we do talk about it, I'll be ok.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.