More threads by Jazzey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzey

Account Closed
1) Jason Marz - We sing. We Dance. We steal. ( a little "Jazzey" - get it?:));

2) I've become addicted to "In the Key of Charles" (on CBC classic - Sunday mornings - CBC Radio 2 - In the Key of Charles

It's a thematic approach to music - every week, Gregory Charles picks a theme and goes back through history, from classical to more contemporary, to elicit that particular theme. It reminds me of Beaudelaire's "Fleurs du Mal" in that it's a journey (escapism) through music...through these various themes. What I like is that G.C. also plays on his piano and sings - he interprets the songs of the weekly theme.

3) I've recently discovered Eva Cassidy.

...Misspelt - Jason Mraz.

Last edited:

ladylore

Account Closed
I have Eve Cassidy's last recording before she passed on. She does a beautiful version of "Over The Rainbow"

Sparrow

I think this is a neat topic. It may rhyme with mood too.

But current to me is "Talkin John Birch Paranoid Blues" by Bob Dylan.
It still makes me laugh and cheers me up,
especially his harmonica.

Last edited:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Sparrow,

I agree - I do believe that your current choice of music is reflective of your mood. Kind of reminds me about what Lana said to me yesterday about our choice in phrasing and our choice of words - also reveals our current mood.

I like Bob Dylan too. Although I'm still a little bit resentful about having gone to see him at a concert where he showed up under the influence. His performance was horrible....I think I'll stick to buying CDs...:)

Sparrow

I saw him a few weeks ago and he was in pretty good form. But the noise took away too much. I'd rather like to hear him just recite his spoken word.

Funny thing with me around every X-mas time though. I listen to too many largo's, dirge's, and lament's for some reason :sob: , and that's not very :dance: 'ing or prancing at all.

Jazzey

Account Closed
:support: I think that's because of the sentiments that surround Xmas Sparrow...Around Xmas - I have to listen to Ave Maria, sung by Jessye Norman several times a week - my addiction. It makes me cry / gives me shivers every time....

I'm happy you had a better experience with Bod Dylan - some friends of mine went to see him this year too (I bailed on that experience) and said the same thing.

Im listening to David Bowies Cygnet Comittee which sums up totally how I feel at the moment, also Radioheads No Surprises another which says how Im feeling, Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb and also a Lou Reed LP called Magic and loss. Bob Dylan is brillant, I saw him in concert many years ago and will never forget it, I like the song Desolation Row!

Jazzey

Account Closed
...love all of your music selections Sister-ray. When I read this, I wanted to go and listen to all of them...thanks for sharing!

...does this mean that I'm getting your mood through osmosis?

Retired

As an enthusiastic collector of recorded music, and always on the lookout for artists I've not heard, thank you for introducing me to Eva Cassidy.

Another songbird lost all too soon!

Now added to my collection are her versions "Over The Rainbow", "At Last" (not quite as haunting as that of Etta James, but still very good) and "Fever" from her live performance with Chuck Brown.

Jazzey

Account Closed
...Wohoo! Love converting people! ;) I often go to you-tube to play all of the above!
===============
...Who's converting whom....I just went to listen to Etta James again (couldn't remember)...you're right. Thanks TSOW! :)

...As my name meant to suggest (although I think I may have misspelt) I love the old Jazz. So - "it's all good" :)
===============
....You take my breath away - Eva Cassidy.

Last edited:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Steve - I like the 40's, 50's stuff - Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Billy Holliday and the like. I also really enjoy the big bands - again, all of the old stuff. I'm not really a fan of 'smooth jazz' - I fall in love with lyrics.

What about you?

ladylore

Account Closed
Thanks to one of the apps on Facebook I have rediscovered some music too. I use to sing in a chorus many moons ago, and I have a thing for show tunes. Not all, but the one I have recently rediscovered is "Seasons of Love" from the play Rent.

Retired

Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Billy Holliday and the like

My kind of music! If you like that style, if you have not already discovered her, then check out the music of Madeleine Peyroux. She's very young, but sings like the ladies you listed.

The album that best exemplifies her style is "Careless Love" with the song of the same name as well as "Dance Me To The End Of Love".

I enjoy clever lyrics, where the composer has shown some creativity.

Ladylore, I have to say I don't know very much about showtunes, which along with rap (coincidentally) :red: is conspicuously absent from my music library.

When I'm feeling nostalgic, I listen to the music from old Nintendo 64 games. :D :eek: Especially Super Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party and Banjo Kazooie. :)
... and my brother does too - he even plays the songs on piano! :p

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thanks Steve, I will do a bit of listening to Madeleine Peyroux. The name sounds vaguely familiar.

I'm going to find a middle ground between the both of you: here's one of my favorite songs....

YouTube - Sous le Ciel de Paris - Yves Montand - Edith Piaf

And rap, and country does not surface in my collection. Classical and opera do though.
===============
Hey Gooblax - I can appreciate the Nintendo64 music....

Hope you're having a good night.
===============
Steve and ITL - the Edith Piaf version is my favorite one.
===============
...sorry, Ladylore - typed too quickly! :)

Last edited:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Can appreciate Sparrow - have a CD that I listen to frequently.
===============
Yeal Naim is a singer that I've recently discovered:

New Soul (I think this is the song that made her famous - famous commercial in the US):
YouTube - Yael Naim with lyrics

You are not alone:
YouTube - yael naim - lonely

"Je t'aime":
YouTube - Live! (silly dancing)- Yael Naim (great quality)

Her biography:
http://www.ynet.co.il/english/articles/0,7340,L-3517130,00.html

She sings in Hebrew, French and English.
===============
Steve - I hope she's new to you too?;)
===============
I'll add one more - because I like it, and then I'll stop - promise! ;)

YouTube - Yael Naim @ La Boule Noire

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.