More threads by sunset

sunset

... right before seeing my therapist? I have known him for years, so he is not a stranger. It's kind of like an anxiety attack and I cant understand why. It dosent happen every time, so thats even
more confusing to me.? My heart starts pounding and sometimes my thoughts are all jumbled up and I dont even know what to talk about, even though I had things to talk about.
Anyone else experience this?

ThatLady

Re: Why do I sometimes get really

I often felt the same when it was time to see my therapist. Once I analyzed it, I found that I was most anxious when I had something in my craw that I really didn't want to talk about. I knew I HAD to talk about it, but I didn't wanna do it. Could that be what's happening with you?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I think that's probably not uncommon, sunset. After all, you are going to a session where the object is to address issues which are often troubling or distressing. And in addition, you often may not be certain what direction the approaching session will take.

I have clients who tell me similar things. I usually try to reassure them that they do have control over what and when we address their issues (this is the foundation of client-centered therapy).

I would recommend that you discuss this with your therapist.

sunset

I replied but it didnt appear so I will reply again...

Thatlady... That could be the case with me. Some weeks I am feeling a lot, and other weeks its like a social almost. Guess I need to pay more attention to what I am feeling at the time it happens.

Dr Baxter...I am seeing him this thursday and I know its not going to be an easy session. Too many reasons to list why right now...
If I get that way, I will bring it up to him and see what he says.
Thank You!

ThatLady

Probably a good idea to try to focus on what's been going on in your life, or what you've got on your mind when these times occur. Also, it really is important to discuss these feelings with your therapist, whether you're having them at the time, or not. :)

Rosa

Re: Why do I sometimes get really nervous...

I'm thinking the same as the others have responded, Good luck on Thursday.
Rosa

sunset

Well, Thursday is here and after almost a month of not "seeing" my Dr, we have a lovely snowstorm on the way, so I may not get to see him after all. I normally drive in the snow and never have been bothered by it before, but a few weeks ago during another storm, my car spun out, so now I am rethinking this. I dont really want to have an accident...

I am torn, because if I dont take a chance to see him, it will be another couple of weeks.. He is in this state for a week, then in another state for a week or so. This is his schedule, so I either "see" him on the few days he is here, or I end up talking with him on the phone, which is not always a good thing for me.
Then part of me is angry at him because he yelled at me the last time on the phone. He has said I am a "tough customer" so I know he gets frustrated with me sometimes.
Oh heck, I am rambling on and dont know if I am making any sense.
I am down, anxious, doing a slow burn, etc....

Halo

Hi Sunset,

I have read your recent posts and I can relate completely with what you feel before seeing your Dr. I had the same feelings and what I found that helped was to write things down before I got to her office and that way when I did see her and my brain was all jumbled I would have a list of what I wanted to talk about. It helped for me.

As for the weather today and your situation, I would say that if you are going to be very anxious and panicky about the car ride especially if it is snowing then I would reconsider going. Even if you did go you might be so worried about the weather during your appointment that you will not be able to focus on the issues at hand.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Nancy

ThatLady

If you could get a friend or relative to drive you to your appointment, that would be ideal. However, if that isn't possible you really have to evaluate whether or not you'll be able to drive safely if your anxiety level is high.

As to your doctor yelling at you on the phone, I can understand why that would upset you, but it might be that he was just trying to get a point across and raised his voice in an effort to do so. We're all human, and sometimes we don't realize that talking louder doesn't equate to saying things more clearly. ;)

Whatever you decide to do, hon, we're here for you. I hope you get to see the doc and that the weather holds off enough for you to do so safely.

Peanut

My heart starts pounding and sometimes my thoughts are all jumbled up and I dont even know what to talk about, even though I had things to talk about.
Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I experience this.? It seems for me like it's partly because of all the anticipation that leads up to the actual session.? It's like the appointment gets all built up in your mind and then you want something meaningful, or at least interesting, to happen and it's hard to force it...it feels a lot of pressure

sunset

Thank you for your posts!! Let me give you an update. I had called my Dr and told him I didnt think I could make it to the office, (sleeting and snow) and he said not to chance it. He himself, got hurt that day and just got back from the hospital. He said he would call me later on.
Thatlady... On the topic of him yelling at me, agree with you now that I have had some time to think about things. He was trying to get a point across and I can be very stubborn, so I understand him yelling. Its just, at that time, I was not in the mood to be yelled at.(Although I dont think anyone is ever in the mood for that, but I think you know what i mean)

Anyway, he calls me last night and of course I have a scrambled mind and cant talk about things, especially over the phone. I told him I have been writing things down online, and he said to email it to him and we can discuss. Well, I email it to him, but he didnt get it for some reason. (Why should I expect anything to be easy??) Now I am totally frustrated and I start to shut down and not want to talk at all. Of course he is flying out of town again tomorrow so next week is a phone session, and he has no email to see what I have logged. By the time he gets back the following week, I have no idea if I will even want to talk about stuff that happened a few weeks ago,or if I will view it as "stupid", and this cycle just keeps building.
I feel letdown, alone and totally frustrated with circumstances and myself. There is ALWAYS something getting in the way. Toeless... I think what you wrote does happen to me a lot!
I also feel like my help is slipping away.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Sometimes email does get lost in spam filters (AOL especially).

Try emailing it again from your "Sent" folder, perhaps from a different email account if you have more than one.

sunset

Thanks for the suggestion Dr Baxter. I sent it again from my send folder and I am hoping he gets it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.