More threads by stargazer

Peanut

Maybe Toeless's Mom knows these answers.

Hey stargazer!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON THE JOB!!!! That is great news!!!!

I ran your posts by my mom and here is what she said:
As far as she knows (she says she is almost positive) that the length of time since you?ve worked does not affect disability determination. She doesn?t think a two week job would hurt your disability application because it is a brief job and it does not show that you are able to sustain long term work. She also said that she thinks that you should take a shot at the long term job and try to gain benefits through that because she said that people are usually happier if they can go that route. She also mentioned that if you take a shot at it, if you get it you win, and if you find out that you can't work, then you'll know.

I think I saw that you're in Cali? Small world, we are originally from there too, actually my mom started out working in the state offices there. Anyhow, I don't know if this will be of any help, hopefully a little. If you think of any questions feel free to ask me and I will see if she knows. She is always helping people with this stuff because it is such a confusing process...it's almost like a hobby of hers :)

Congrats on the job again!!!!! Personally I think any job would be really really lucky to have you!

stargazer

David Baxter said:
[is she a speed reader?

Uh, er, yeah. My posts can be kind of long. :( I can't help it. I type 120wpm, and it takes me way more time to edit them down to size than it does to just leave them that way. Sometimes, after editing & editing for hours on a lengthy post it only took me a minute or two to compose, I simply burn out on the whole idea and wind up deleting everything. Then I feel as though I've wasted all those hours.

It's a neurosis, I admit it. Anyway, thanks Toeless for running them posts by yer mom....oh I get it! You meant, speed reader, like as in running, speed, etc. OK. Don't mind me.

Thanks.

stargazer

Yeah, I got it later. I misinterpreted it at first.

This might be because I inwardly think my posts are sometimes too long, so I'm unconsciously on the lookout for somebody to call me on them. Not just here, but in other places as well. Some people have also alerted me to that my e-mails are often longer than they need to be.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have honestly never reacted that way to any of your posts, stargazer. I will admit that with some longer posts from members here or on other forums I do sometimes skim them, but I can't say I've ever felt a need to do that with yours.

stargazer

Oh, OK. I might have been projected what others have said elsewhere. I have certain friends especially who complain about the length of my e-mails. Then again, some people send e-mails that seem too terse or succinct, and I wonder why they're being unusually brief.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What I would suggest, though, is that if you have an opportunity to work and are able to work, go for it. You'll gain much more in self-esteem and satisfaction and it pays a whole lot better than disability.

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that most applications for Social Security Disability take 1 year or more to get approved. This is because most applications are initially denied and then approved at the appeals stage.

stargazer

Daniel said:
Most applications for Social Security Disability take 1 year or more to get approved.This is because most applications are initially denied and then approved at the appeals stage.

That's occurred to me, too. What if they don't even approve my application? Sometimes I feel that all the energy applied toward trying to get SSI and SSDI ought to be directed *exclusively* toward working. But it still seems to me I ought to keep all my options open. I agree, though, that there is much greater satisfaction and self-esteem in working, if I can find a job that I can hang with and not freak out on.

Peanut

I type 120wpm
WOW I AM JEALOUS!!! I always thought there was a point where people would plateau with their typing. I am stuck at like 80 wpm and I didn't think my fingers can move any faster!! You are an inspiration and I will keep pushing myself now that I know it's possible!!!

I have that same problem about being long winded though. But, like you said you do, I just type things out and then go through and delete all of the things that are extraneous and redundant which is usually like 3/4s of the post! Just kidding I'm not quite that bad but hey, it's better to have extra than not enough, right? Or is it less is more... :confused:

And yes I realize that joke was about me!! LOL :D

stargazer

Actually, I know one other guy who says his speed is 120wpm, and you should see that guy type!! He doesn't seem to have a problem sending e-mails that are overly lengthy, though. I've wondered, however, if he himself might be slightly manic. I've noticed that everyone likes him, though. Hmmm.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I am stuck at like 80 wpm and I didn't think my fingers can move any faster!!

I think the key is to slow down your feet and legs a bit and divert all that energy to your fingers. Sort of like what they do in karate and kung fu.

stargazer

Yes, that must be the key. I do find when I'm typing fast like that, all consciousness of other parts of the body comes to a halt. You sort of become one with the computer keyboard. It's kind of a Zen thing.

Peanut

LOLOLOLOL!!! I see what you mean--channel all of my energy into one task..hmmmm...hmmmmm....NO I DON'T THINK I CAN DO THAT!!!
I've wondered, however, if he himself might be slightly manic.
LOL--I've kind of wondered that about myself before....but you can't just be stuck in exclusively mania forever, can you??

And by the way Dr. B thanks for quoting the one sentence of mine that had a grammatical error in it!! I could just die!!!! can=could!!!!

Well that was only my highest score
Always go by your highest score!! Always!!! ;)

stargazer

Well, there have been a couple of new developments. It's actually a very interesting process, although it can be frustrating at times.

I met with someone at Mental Health yesterday whose function it is to make sure that I again qualify for the $37/yr. complete-package-program (therapy, psychiatry & medication) that is awarded in this County to those who have fallen through certain cracks in the system. Unusually, although I was just granted approval for this program for the first year, the date that the first year begins was July of 2005. This is because that's when my first application for MediCal was denied. A prerequisite for qualifying is to be denied MediCal.

So, on July 1st, I have to prove to County Mental Health that I have again applied for MediCal. That way, whether I have been denied yet is immaterial, as long as I can prove that I have not yet been accepted.

This is great news, because it means that I'll have another year of therpay, psychiatry, and medication, starting July 1st, for only $37. It's also a relief, because I've not yet received any therapy, psychiatry, or medication from the first year, which theoretically started on July 1st of 2005, even though I only learned about it a month or two ago. Since my psychiatric evaluation is scheduled for next Friday, I will probably get my first diagnosis and meds just in time for the second year to begin. So the $37 I shelled out this year/month will not have been in vain.

Talk about bereaucracy! But it's all good. On the down side, I learned at the same meeting that my having applied for SSI/SSDI is going to slow down the rate at which I might have received MediCal, because now that the MediCal people know I've applied for SSI and SSDI, my MediCal application is going to sit in their office until they find out whether I'm approved for SSI/SSDI or not.

A man my age can't get MediCal without having a disability, but evidently there are ways to prove you have a disability without getting SSI or SSDI. I wasn't aware of that when I applied.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's good news, SG. It's a sad and almost ludicrous commentary on the state of government bureaucracies but it's good news that you were able to find someone who knows how to work the system so that it does what it is supposed to do in spite of itself.

stargazer

Yes. I think that, in my case, getting the therapy and treatment will be the first step, and so it's wonderful that I qualify at such a low cost. Also, the Mental Health Center is less than a mile away from my apartment, and I can easily ride there on my bicycle free of stress.

Later, if MediCal is approved (which I understand it may not be) I would have overall health insurance finally, after having lost my Kaiser in April of 2004. So, I'll be able to get my prostate check, and colonoscopy if called for, and cholesterol check, and take care of everything else that ought to be addressed at my age. And even if MediCal is denied, those services are available under some kind of plan at the County Hospital, but it's a long and arduous trek down there on the local bus system, and a zoo when you get there.

Still, better than nothing. And of course, if MediCal is denied, I'll continue to qualify for the $37/yr. program--so at least I can take care of my head.

just mary

I just wanted to add that I think it's good news also. I'm happy to hear that you're on your way. But I sympathize with all the bureacracy, it sounds daunting. Good luck Stargazer and take care! :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.