More threads by foghlaim

foghlaim

not sure if this shou be in "do they really care thread" . i suppose it can be moved to there if it belongs there.

a few times during my apts ( not just last one) my psych has suggested that i transfer to another psych,, (citing my difficutly in travel, distance etc)? i have told him quite adamantly that i will not attend anywhere else.? even so he keeps bringing it up.? I even asked him if he wanted to "bale out" and he said no.. that he was thinking of me.
on 3rd apt he said he wants his boss to see me.. (that's next week) I know he explained why.(each time he brought it up). but can't remember what he said. i think my mind went into overdrive.. now i'm thinking maybe seeing as how he couldn't get me to transfer that his boss will insist. there are other reasons why i'm writing this but i can't put them here.
some relate to the thread that was moved.? ?(okay i'm losng my train of thought again.)

I found it so bloody hard to actually go and see this dr in the 1st place that i cannot go thru that again with somebody else.. even if as dr says other person will have all the notes.? just as i'm begining to feel\think that dr is getting better at understanding me...? ?i can't start all over again. I won't start all over again.

maybe my dr is in over his head.. with me.. i know i'm not the easiest patient...? ?i really don't know what to think or even if i will turn up at next apt.

this is going round and round my head since last apt.. along with so much other stuff.. think i'm gonna lose it again.
i'm scared... feel so much like crying all the time and i can't even do that!!

sorrry.. better stop here.

Re: worried in case my psych drops me

ugh. i'm really sorry about all that. :(

on 3rd apt he said he wants his boss to see me.. (that's next week) I know he explained why.. but can't remember what he said. i think my mind went into overdrive.

could you maybe call and clarify why? maybe that could ease your mind.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
NSA, it is quite possible that he just doesn't feel he is the best person to help you - perhaps because he doesn't have the depth of experience in the iossues he feels need to be addressed, or perhaps because he feels you need more frequent appointments than he can give you, or for other reasons. That is not uncommon - I get referrals like that on a regular basis and I also refer to others when I think the client will get better advice and assistance with someone else.

foghlaim

thanks for the replies. janet and david.

i know on a logical level (somewhere!!) that this could be why he is saying what he is.. and i have given him some reasons why i can't\wont transfer to the other place. i know the place well. 1 reason i can't\ transfer is it's location.. too near to where i live. and i don't want to be seen coming and going from there. i know this shouldn't matter.. but it does for all sorts of reasons.

this is only one element of my anxiety over next apt...

ThatLady

Perhaps your current therapist feels that his "boss" might be able to better help you, hon. Or, perhaps, he feels his boss can help him to better help you. :)

foghlaim

Or, perhaps, he feels his boss can help him to better help you.
i think that was one of the things he said to me... sounds about right.. but also it's his insistance that i transfer that gets me..
guess i'll just have to wait ans see......

thanks TL.

Lana

Hi NSA;
It seems like your "reasons" are just a way to avoid therapy. I know it's hard to go see someone and open yourself up to them. I know it's painful to go through details while trying to establish a theraputic relationship. And I know how difficult it must be to learn that you need to do this all over again. BUT! I fear that if you don't do as your therapist asks, it'll cause you more harm then good. He is obviously not in a position to help you, but is being profesional and courteous in referring you to someone that is more suited. His service to you, the only one he can provide, was and is to find you that one person that will make the difference. Why not explore it? Why would you want to keep seeing someone that is not able to help you? That would be a big disservice from you, to you. What have you got to loose? Nothing...but you have so much to gain. Please consider his offer.

Eunoia

I think in the end things like distance, location, even $ can all be overcome or worked around, even though they may make it more difficult to be in therapy, but what should matter the most if whether your current therapist is the best person to help you or if there is someone else out there more suitable to do so, ie. in terms of experience, expertise etc.. and the location may be a bonus in your therapis's eyes even if you don't think so (but I do understand your worries w/ it being so close to your home). At least consider another therapist, you could meet him/her and see what you think and then go from there... it is very difficult to have to keep on opening up to people but I think one of the reasons why it takes many people to find a good match is b/c they have to go through a few to know what they need, want, and what they can get... and then go for it. good luck!!

foghlaim

another "reason" if I may.. i had on one other occasion (Yrs &yrs ago) to meet the head psych at this other location, took him less than five mns to say,, cut out the coffee, tke these and come back in two weeks.. (diff circumstances than where i'm at now) .. but his attitude was way off . needless to say i never went back.

not to worry i'll figure something out.
thanks u guys.. *s*

Lana

notsureanymore said:
another "reason" if I may.. i had on one other occasion (Yrs &yrs ago) to meet the head psych at this other location, took him less than five mns to say,, cut out the coffee, tke these and come back in two weeks.. (diff circumstances than where i'm at now) .. but his attitude was way off . needless to say i never went back.

This is a great reason why it would be a good idea to see the recommended therapist....so you don't have to collect such reasons. This is NOT a reason NOT to see someone else.

foghlaim

I won't start all over again.
i have been staring at this screen for ages trying to think... sort out my head abit if u like... and that quote of mine is so bloody childish... guess i lost it a bit when i was writing that this a.m.

yes the thoughts of starting over again is difficult to get my head around.. but i also do know that if this is the only option left open to me.. i have no choice . (other than choose not to attend.) definately not a wise thing to do at the min.

this a.m and prior to this.. i was only seeing things from my own perspective.. guess in this instance.. what i want and what i need are two diff things...

something came to mind this evening..(after reading the above replies..thinking about them) .. in the few times i have been to his office.. i have had to pass a sign that said.. dept of Liason psychiatry... i realise now!! that his job is prob to find that right person for me.. am i dense or what.. i passed that sign on the way and on the way out how many times.!! Liason = go between.. yes??? now i feel even more stupid than i felt today after posting..

thanks to each of ye for replying and waking me up to what i was doing. and apologies for "acting" like a kid.

I think a phone call is in order on the moro.

david: this could solve the other prob i have as well.. or am i being hasty??

foghlaim

Thank you Janet.. I made the call.

while i won't go into all the details of the conversation.. (no need i think)
end result of it is.
1. i'm not being referred on (yet,, maybe down the road)
2. i'm attending the right person\ in the right place (for now)
3. Dr.'s boss is the Consultant on my "case". This consultant is the only person ( in my region) who has the expertise\and more experience of ppl with a conversion disorder. (apparantly there are only one or two psychiatrist in the whole country, with such experience\expertise).
4. my dr. is not in over his head. ( i asked him)

David: the other prob i reffered to.. is gonna be checked out by my Dr. and he will get back to me before next apt.

think i just had a mini session on the phone. *s*

i'm a bit more relaxed (mentally) now...
thanks again to everyone who helped me on this.

Halo

Hi NSA,

I am glad that you gathered the courage to make the call and you can now ease your mind. I know that it is difficult to see someone new (I am in the same boat right now) but I have to continue to think that if it is going to help me than it is better than where I am at now.

Pat yourself on the back for making that call. I am proud of you. :) :)

Nancy

foghlaim

thanks Nancy.. *s*
i am glad i called.. prob wouldn't have before posting the above and reading the replies..
so I'm glad i did both.. even if i think i was being childish posting in the first place. it did help a lot.

okay.. coffee time.. lol.

Lana

notsureanymore said:
Thank you Janet.. I made the call.

while i won't go into all the details of the conversation.. (no need i think)
end result of it is.
1. i'm not being referred on (yet,, maybe down the road)
2. i'm attending the right person\ in the right place (for now)
3. Dr.'s boss is the Consultant on my "case". This consultant is the only person ( in my region) who has the expertise\and more experience of ppl with a conversion disorder. (apparantly there are only one or two psychiatrist in the whole country, with such experience\expertise).
4. my dr. is not in over his head. ( i asked him)

David: the other prob i reffered to.. is gonna be checked out by my Dr. and he will get back to me before next apt.

think i just had a mini session on the phone. *s*

i'm a bit more relaxed (mentally) now...
thanks again to everyone who helped me on this.

Well done, NSA! I, for one, am proud of you.
Yay! :funky:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.