More threads by BluMac81

BluMac81

I'm just wondering if this is just an isolated incident or there are others like me who experiened this.

Before my main problem was anxiety/panic disorder. Yes nearly every single time I had anxiety or panic attacks, the depression would run parallel right along with it.

Now after moving and new docs (VA), I am perscribed Xanax to take 3 times daily and once at night for sleep. I actually am already developing a tolerance to it and usually tend to take 3mg (3 pills) xanax before social events, but when I do I am essentially cured of all social anxiety and I feel like a normal person. But that's just when I'm out....

When I'm home... struggling to accomplish all the things on my to-do list, thats when depression hits. Doesn't even need a trigger anymore, it is getting worse and worse since I started on the Xanax. Now keep in mind Xanax, a benzodiazapine is a short-acting anti-anxiety drug, shouldnt have long-term effects. But still. My depression is worsening from like 1 episode a month to twice or more per week, usually paralyzing me in a crying fit until i self-harm or take a good pill cocktail prior to sleep (4mg xanax, 15mg temazapam, 20mg ambien).

And yes I'm trying to combat the depression the right way. When I feel depressed I immediately try something cardio-wise to do, tennis, basketball, biking, jogging, etc. Exercise DOES help, but only momentarily, depression comes right back. I am currently seeing a VA psychiatrist (he does nothing but throw pills at me, gave me 360 1mg pills of xanax for god sakes), and I am TRYING to see the VA psycologist, but she keeps cancelling on me and after she cancels its another 1 month wait to see her. Another forgotten veteran am I? Luckily, though I think of suicide on a daily basis (just knowing this life will end at some point is a relief), I will NEVER do it because it would hurt the few people in my life who I love so much (my two sisters and my mother mostly).

Kinda funny, today taking my MAT106 Intermediate Algebra class, had a homework assignment that gave a formula for life expectancy of a man. Says my life expenacy according to that formula is 70. Which means 44 more years in this god-forsaken life for me. :(

ANYWAY sorry to ramble on (as I usually do), I mainly wanted to know if the excessive use of xanax (alprazolam) can lead to great bouts of depression.
Now don't get me wrong, I (sort of) use it as perscribed. He says take 3 during the day and 1 at night. I only do the 3 (or 4) xanax pill pop when I'm about to go out and do something really social. Otherwise, if i'm sitting at home and pop some xanax, it'll just make me really really sleepy, and even more depressed, so I avoid that.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The use of any tranquilizer may increase or intensify any symptoms of depression.

If it's working well for anxiety and panic, you might want to talk to your doctor about adding in an antipdressant.

braveheart

And, sometimes, looking from another perspective, when you take any anxiety reducing medication - I found this with a beta blocker - it can repress the anxiety and so make someone more prone to depression because the feeling's not faced. It's a sort of delicate balancing act, to tweak the worst of the anxiety to make living more tolerable, and to limit emotional repression and depression.
Is there any other agency you can approach for emotional support?

I can relate. My main symptom was anxiety and I found that when I got that under control depression really hit hard. I know you said you feel like pills are just being thrown at you, but you might want to at least consider taking an antidepressant. I'm on two actually and it's helped a lot with the depression and suicidal ideation.

I'm sorry you're struggling.

BluMac81

Thanks for the comments everyone...
I really appreciate it:

David Baxter:
"If it's working well for anxiety and panic, you might want to talk to your doctor about adding in an antipdressant."

Well I guess I can give antidepressants another try. When I talked to my psychiatrist about it, basically I told him I have been on about 10 different SSRI antidepressants and none have done a thing for me (for anxiety or depression). So his response was: "Well, we'll just stay away from anti-depressants than since they don't work for you, and you've tried the newest and best versions out there (i.e. Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, etc.)" Are there any anti-depressants that could be better suited for me? Maybe a non-SSRI one? I know the old-school MAOI's are out there but I hear about how they have some nasty side effects and drug interactions and still for most no better than any SSRI.

Braveheart:
"And, sometimes, looking from another perspective, when you take any anxiety reducing medication - I found this with a beta blocker - it can repress the anxiety and so make someone more prone to depression because the feeling's not faced. It's a sort of delicate balancing act, to tweak the worst of the anxiety to make living more tolerable, and to limit emotional repression and depression.
Is there any other agency you can approach for emotional support?"

Unfrotunately no, since I'm a poor college student / veteran, VA coverage is the best I can get. I am actually applying for service-connected disability though because as some doctors pointed out these issues all seemed to came about during or after my time in the service. Maybe that'll help. I know what you mean about the tweaking.... it makes me wonder if the feelings of anxiety were simply masking the underlying depression, and now with the anxiety gone there is the depression. But there is a reason for the depression and maybe that is what makes me anxious, and that's what you pointed out. The trick is finding what 'feeling needs to be faced'. Hopefully the psycotherapist can help with that down the road. Thanks again for your comment.

Janet:
"I can relate. My main symptom was anxiety and I found that when I got that under control depression really hit hard. I know you said you feel like pills are just being thrown at you, but you might want to at least consider taking an antidepressant. I'm on two actually and it's helped a lot with the depression and suicidal ideation.
I'm sorry you're struggling."

Yep exactly, looks like I'm not alone in experiencing greater levels of depression after anxiety issues are removed. Like I said earlier I'm open to trying other anti-depressant meds but I have totally lost faith in SSRI's after 10 different types of SSRI's and no results. There must be some other type of anti-depressant fitted for me. Thanks for your comforting words

And thanks everyone for your support on this forum, it means a lot to me. A few things I'd like to add is that maybe this 'focusing on the depression' or 'having the "belief" that I have depression' in and of itself causes me to be depressed? Kind of a chicken before the egg thing? Hundreds of years ago nobody knew about depression, I wonder how many actually experienced depression having not known of its existence. This kind of makes itself known too with self-injury. Like I first self-injured 2 years ago simply because I had been told by other depressed people (who SI) that it relieves your symptoms for a while, almost like "bleeding out the psycological pain". For me though I find I self-injure when I am severely depressed inside but cannot cry for some reason, so the bleeding "lets it out". Also sometimes I do SI as a punishment for making mistakes or not getting things done (which I know is silly... I don't engage in that "puritist" way much anymore).

Oh and by the way I did end up calling the VA suicide hotline last night, mostly to sample what they can help me with. Apparently my psychiatrist got word of it and called me first thing today. Glad to know he does care.

But wow, you know, the field of psycotherapy and psychiatry still has a lot of work to do in treating these ailments. Much more complex than simple physical medical work. I'm sure Doctor Baxter would agree :)

lallieth

Hi Mac

My mother has tried alot of the newer anti-depressants with no success,and remembered one she was on a long time ago called Tofranil..she asked the dr for it and within 3 weeks it had made a world of diff to her

She said the side effects were easy to deal with,compared to the acute depression she felt everyday

Tofranil is a tricyclic antidepressant or MAOI maybe the way to go for you

BluMac81

Hi Mac

My mother has tried alot of the newer anti-depressants with no success,and remembered one she was on a long time ago called Tofranil..she asked the dr for it and within 3 weeks it had made a world of diff to her

She said the side effects were easy to deal with,compared to the acute depression she felt everyday

Tofranil is a tricyclic antidepressant or MAOI maybe the way to go for you

Thanks! I was actually just leaving a message with my psychiatrist when i saw your message here and mentioned the Tofranil to him. Maybe I'll give it a shot :)

BluMac, I didn't realize you'd already been on anti-depressants. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. And I'm sorry none of them have worked for you. I actually take two antidepressants along with an anti-psychotic. Sometimes the combinations can work for treatment resistant depression. Some of them are Risperdal, Geodon, Abilify. You might want to ask your doctor about that as well.

Best wishes to you. Depression just sucks.

BluMac81

Cipralex, Wellbutrin, and Remeron are some of the newer ones you might look into.
Thanks David, isn't Remeron a sleep aid? I remember taking that at some point. And I did the wellburtin (I think anyway) sample before, though I probably could of waited longer for it to take effect. Never heard of Cipralex before, I'll ask my doc about it, thanks.

braveheart

Remeron is a sedative anti-depressant, that can also help with anxiety. I've been taking it nearly 3 years now, and it really helps.

lallieth

Good luck Mac....I lucked out with the first medication I tried and it worked well and still seems to work well..I took ativan for a few weeks before I tried an anti-depressant but didn't like the sedative effects of it..

I am on a low dose of celexa and it works for me.Since we all metabolize medications differently,it takes times to find the one that is right for you.Don't give up..:)

BluMac81

Good luck Mac....I lucked out with the first medication I tried and it worked well and still seems to work well..I took ativan for a few weeks before I tried an anti-depressant but didn't like the sedative effects of it..

I am on a low dose of celexa and it works for me.Since we all metabolize medications differently,it takes times to find the one that is right for you.Don't give up..:)
Ahh I see :) Ativan is pretty much like Xanax, short-acting, good for panic attacks and sleep, but bad for long term use.
And hey Celexa was the best SSRI I was on and on the longest too. But funnily enough 'best' was only because it and no negative side effect for me. Didnt help any mental condition though at all.

BluMac81

Why do you say that, BluMac?

Well I have been told by numerous doctors that Xanax (or other benzodiazapenes like Clonazapam and Ativan) are extremely addictive, and like all other psychtropic medications, cause dependency and withdrawl issues when you stop taking it.

Puts me in an odd condition because Xanax has been the ONLY drug that has pratically cured me of all anxiety/panic issues. But at the same time I wonder if it itensifies underlying depression issues (admit it, most people with anxiety also have depression, and probably also have some form of OCD, it's brain wiring all in all).

I was also told at some point that Xanax falls along the same line of drugs as opium and heroin.

That being said, it's still a much safer alternative than say, drinking alchohol to avoid anxiety. Heh... I wonder if you did a 3mg dose of xanax and got pulled over by a cop for some traffic violation and he did a sobriety test on you, would you pass? Hmm... you probably would, for me xanax creates a state of 'mindfulness' if you will and helps me to focus on individual tasks rather than being overwhelmed with numerous anxious thoughts.

Still I remember seeing this show (I think it's called Jailhouse) where they dragged this teenage kid in who was barely coherent and wasnt able to even speak because his speech was so impaired, apparently he had taken a great deal of xanax. Definitely has a potential for abuse. Though in reality, we find that anything (drug or otherwise) that makes you feel good has a potential for abuse or dependency. I guess thats why the supervision of a doctor while using these drugs is definitely needed.

Also, I wonder if anyone knows of any elder or someone who lived a full life while taking xanax (or ativan/clonazopam) their entire adult life. Maybe what I've heard is false?

Maybe a doctor's opinion on this would be helpful ;)

Retired

BluMac,

You have raised some very good points, worthy of discussion.

I guess thats why the supervision of a doctor while using these drugs is definitely needed.

Yes, always and without exception.

There is considerable misunderstanding and misinformation about benzodiazepines, which is confirmed by a routine search of the internet on this topic.

The short-term use of any benzodiazepine (BZD) ? if closely monitored ? typically doesn't lead to significant physical dependence or addiction. However, stopping such a medication after taking it for longer than a few months or so usually requires tapering off the medication to minimize withdrawal symptoms particularly among the short acting (short half life) BZD . Prescribed BZD use must be tailored for the individual.

It is important to keep in mind that just because your body develops a physical dependence (habituation) on a drug doesn't mean that you are addicted to it.

Addiction is marked by impaired control over the use of the drug, preoccupation with its use, and continued use despite adverse consequences, with or without physical dependence.

An individual with a history of addiction or who feels vulnerable to addiction, is best advised to work with their doctor to select a medication that is less likely to be associated with dependence and addiction and that won't interact with other medications being taken.

Medication is one treatment option for people with panic disorder. But another effective and often overlooked treatment option is cognitive behavior therapy. For panic disorder, it is important to work with a psychiatrist who specializes in anxiety disorders and has experience in managing the use of benzodiazepine medications.

A distinction should be made between prescribed use of a BZD and its abuse on the street.

When used in a way which is managed by a physician specialized in treating psychiatric and mood disorders, the concerns are minimal.

That is to say an informed decision is being made on the benefits vs risks of using BZD's.

The literature expresses concerns about individuals who are genetically pre-disposed to addictions, and for whom BZD's may not be appropriate.

The key to long term use of BZD's is to taper the dosage when discontinuation is required, to minimize or preclude withdrawl symptoms.

Sources: Mayo Clinic.com, RedfernClnic.com

BluMac81

Yeah great post Steve!
And I'm doing exactly what you reccomend.... going to CBT therapy with a psycologist while using the medication in the meantime.
I guess in the hope that someday I can live my life naturally without any medications.
Still have to wonder what made me "so messed up" in the head. Brain wiring set that way since birth? The fact that my father was an alchoholic? My time in the middle east while in the military? Maybe all of 'em.

based on the things you've told us about i would definitely say all of those combined have led to the anxiety and depression you are suffering from now. without all of those things happening to you you might never have had these illnesses, who knows. but the events you have had to deal are a factor.

Have you been diagnosed bipolar? The lows can be helped with lithium. Also, have you been taking these antidepressants for at least 4 weeks?They need time to kick in!

BluMac81

Have you been diagnosed bipolar? The lows can be helped with lithium. Also, have you been taking these antidepressants for at least 4 weeks?They need time to kick in!

Well first on the bipolar... I was actually just thinking about that today because I notice I tend to have these super hyper energetic states during the day followed by some lows, then back up. But they are pretty quick and my old psychiatrist and me talked about the possibility of me being bipolar but the swings really come 'too fast' (like typically 3-5 swings per day) to be bipolar, which apparently is classified as having agitated highs for several days/weeks then depressive lows for several days/weeks. I do believe that there is something else called dystemia? Or something like that, my old psychiatrist mentioned it as a type of fast-paced bipolar disorder. Anyone have any info on that?

And as far as the antidepressants go, yes I will admit that probably 8 out of the 10 I tried, I quit after about 1 day - 1 week of use because the side effects were too harsh to deal with. The ones I stuck with for a while were Paxil and Celexa. Paxil had only minimal side-effects so I stuck with it, plus my doc had me combine it with Trazodone since I have sleeping issues too, she said apparently they work together. I noticed no effect. The other was Celexa which had no noticable side effects, and I was on that for several years, then tapered off. It didn't help at all while taking it (like the others) but luckily I experienced no withdrawl symptoms after tapering off it. After 2 years on that I figured all the other SSRI's that I "didn't give a chance" work in the same way pretty much so there is no use in trying those any more.

The SSRI's that I "didn't give a chance" due to the harsh side effects (if my memory serves me right) were:
-Zoloft
-Remeron
-Cymbalta
-Lexapro (actually I think I tried that for a good 2 months, my sister is on that one and she says it has pretty much cured her anxiety issues)
-Wellbutrin
*note that I never tried or wanted to try prozac, because from what I heard it has a tendancy to cause insomnia, which is something I already struggle with to begin with*
And I seriously cant remember the rest.

Oh and back on the subject of bipolar disorder, my old psychiatrist (she was a great doc by the way) said that the only way to tell if you are bipolar is to try a anti-psychotic for a while and see if it helps. So she gave me Zyprexa and I tried it for about 2 months with no noticable positive or negative effects.

Well, I will grant you this, I was told many times (especially by people here) that there is a specific antidepressant for each individual that will work for them, finding that one (out of many) is the trick. So perhaps I will be more patient in the future with antidepressants (SSRI's in particular).... not sure of this but the initial negative side-effects of antidepressants are most harsh when you first start taking the pill? Can anyone confirm that?

On a scientific note, I wonder if the psychiatric researchers in the lab are coming up with ways to match a persons brain configuration with an antidepressant, that sure would be helpful. What is hindering medical science here? Is it the lack of abilities or resources to map or 'probe' the human brain? Surely at some level even psychotherapists could do a research study and find that THIS type of antidepressant works with THESE types of reported symptoms simply from experience (and experimental research). Psychiatry needs help people, its way too hit or miss!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.