More threads by SS8282

SS8282

You got it, Nancy. Almost anything to keep the peace. And also keep my sanity. I won't have to hear it from bro about why I didn't remind him, and from mom for how 'thoughtless' my bro is.

Have to figure out when to take my parents out for their anniversary dinner. It has to be before January, because she'll be on a 'diet' to get ready for a second round of radiation.

Curious

I have always been high strung because of the moment. I like takiing my pills for it and seem calm from being high strung. I now understand the words high strung and wonder why I get so emotional over what seems to be a misunderstanding of the moment. Something had to bring it on, the question is what? In my case it has to be my wifes Lymphedema. I wonder if it possible to love someone to much? There is nothing I can do to help her or her doctors, except get upset because of there slowness of something that might work. There that underlined sentence again. high strung

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
In my case it has to be my wifes Lymphedem

That could be a large part of it, but it's probably not the only factor if you have an anxiety disorder. In any case:

It takes a great deal of mental strength to handle not only caring for the patient (who may be someone you care about,) but also dealing with their own emotional struggles. It's only human for that to cause a great deal of stress....

Spend Time With Friends: One of the issues many caregivers have is they are so mentally tired after caregiving that they cut themselves off from others. Unfortunately that is one of the worst things you can do. Social support you get from the people you care about is one of the most important and simple treatments available for anxiety. Force yourself to see those you care about. It will keep your mind off things like mortality and focused on important positive feelings and emotions.

Reduce Non-Caregiving Anxiety: In many ways, anxiety is an additive experience – if you have anxiety, and you experience more anxiety elsewhere, it is as though the anxiety has built upon itself, so you're experiencing twice the anxiety you would normally. By combatting your non-caregiving anxiety (removing yourself from stressful friendships or relationships, employing daily relaxation techniques, etc.) you can reduce the caregiving anxiety.

Strategies for Coping with Caretaker Anxiety

There is nothing I can do to help her or her doctors, except get upset because of there slowness of something that might work.

I had a horrible time when my partner had shoulder pain after falling off a ladder. His shoulder problems went away eventually after the VA's delays to do surgery, etc, but I was not in "acceptance mode" as much as he was. So that just made it worse for me.

Last edited:

Curious

Daniel,
In my case it's my wife and her Lymphedema. I like the second part about care giving. Great reading. high strung

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.