More threads by AlleyWay

AlleyWay

.....the change in seasons affecting your pain and stiffness levels?

I was dx'ed earlier this year with Fibro. The past couple of years have been somewhat painful for me at times, but nothing at all like they are now. I used to love winter and the colder weather. Now, I dread it. And every time we get a cold front coming through bringing rain I just want to scream!

I've been on Cymbalta since my dx and it does help, but right now.....I wish I could just float in a heated pool for hours on end or just sleep my days away and not have to get out of bed. :(

I really hate this :mad::mad::mad:

Andy

MVP
Re: Anyone else finding.........

Hey Alleyway,

I do not have Fibromyalgia and do not know what it's like. I'm sorry your having troubles coping with all the symptoms, I really can't imagine.

They actually use a few psychiatric meds (or other way around I guess) for Fibromyalgia that I have been on. I was not aware that Cymbalta was one of them but that is one of the meds I am on for psychiatric reasons.

Anyway, I have arthritis in my shoulder from a severe break and dislocation when I was young and in the winter or when there is a cold rain I really feel it in my shoulder and neck so I can empathize with that.
It should be interesting to see if the Cymbalta helps me as well when it gets cold.
I have a shoulder brace that I wear that is made out of special material that keeps the heat in when I need it and sucks it out when I don't. lol That's totally not the right discription but it's along the same lines. Anyway, mine was rather expensive but if you are able to get something like this for the areas that bother you most, I would recommend it. You could also get those back wraps in the drug store that wrap around any part of your torso and they give heat to sooth aches.

I am not a doctor so I don't know about medications. I was on Vioxx until that was pulled (even though I still have some I use in certain situations) and then Diclofenac for a long time and it helped a lot with temperature change. Not completely but enough. I can't use that anymore because of my meds. Maybe you could see about something like that.

Anyway, sorry to babble on. I know they are not the same thing, but I thought I would suggest some things that may help if you haven't already tried them.

I hope you can find some relief. I have a friend who has Fibromyalgia and I feel so bad for her sometimes because she is always so achey. :support:

AlleyWay

Hi STP!

Thanks for responding :) I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder pain and all. I also have a bad knee from playing softball back many many moons ago. I was a catcher and it did a number on my knees. So between those aching during bad weather and then the Fibro tenderness and all...sometimes I just want to curl up in under my covers and not get out of bed LOL. I'm really glad you found something that helps with your shoulder pain. :)

I will look into some of the things you mentioned to help relieve the aches and pains. Like I said, the Cymbalta helps most days to take the edge off and I can function but on rainy/bad weather days or when a cold front is on the move.....OUCHIES! is all I can say.

I also have some celebrex that I take now and again when it gets really bad. It seems to help with the swelling and the pain along with the Cymbalta and makes it so I can somewhat function. And I have to be somewhat functioning as I am a home provider for a disabled individual. ;)

Take good care of yourself....I wish for you painless days and nights!

:cat3:
AlleyWay

Banned

Banned

Hi Alleyway,

I don't have fibromyalgia either but your comment about wanting to float in a heated pool for hours on end made me wonder about going to your local rec centre every day and spending some time in the hot tub?

I love hot tubs, and have a llot of joint issues and other things wrong with me, and it's great just to sit in one. Eventually I'll get one installed at home, but until then, I head for hte community centre.

AlleyWay

Oh Turtle, I'm so glad you can do that for yourself! That sounds wonderful.

I live about an hour away from a city where I could go to a hot tub...it's at a hotel. I'm in that city 3 times a week and I suppose I could try to squeeze some time in to do that.

The only thing I worry about is getting overheated. I do have neurological issues when my body becomes overheated. I guess I will just have to play it by ear and learn the length of time I can stay in it without having affects from getting overheated.

Great idea! Thank you so much :)

AlleyWay:cool:

Jazzey

Account Closed

I like the idea of the hot tub. :) I also like saunas for that reason - just remember to stay only for maybe 10 - 15 minutes.

I've also heard that massage therapy is really good for fibro - I'm wondering if you have a health insurance plan that could cover some of these if they were prescribed by your doctor. My doctor has happily prescribed these for me in the past. :)

I also don't have fibro, but I find that when I get stressed my entire body stops cooperating with me. :)

Good luck AW :2thumbs:

AlleyWay

Oh how I would love to go for a full body massage *sigh*

I don't have any health insurance. Haven't had any for years. I'm really pushing my luck here I know. Can't afford individual health insurance, it's just an outrageous cost :(

I go to the docs when I absolutely have to go....nothing more than that, so you know I have to be pretty sick to go.

I might be able to put some $$ away to go for a massage though....what a great holiday present that would be to me :D

Thanks for the great idea!

AlleyWay

Jazzey

Account Closed
:)
At times when I couldn't really afford them, I also went to a local training school - it was a little less than half of the regular costs...Just a thought. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.