More threads by amth

amth

I have been reading this site and its opened my eyes to the complex way our minds deal with things.I wouldnt of thought that doing rituals because of ocd,would stop the anxiety,when i do my rituals its when im feeling most anxious,and still i am anxious.I havnt been diagnosed as having ocd,i realise its the condition i have probably got,because of the symptoms,but i dont like going to the doctor,because i think hes not going to believe me or he wont pick up on what i am trying to tell him,so in the end i lie or go along with what hes saying,then in the end i kind convince him im fine.My daughter tells me shes counting colours,this happens when shes under stress from school,shes 13,could this be ocd,shes had it numerous times when shes under stress,she had like this attack a couple of months ago,she said her tongue was going numb and she couldnt breath and started to panic,i managed to calm her down and she was fine,then out of the blue she will have panics about something.

Well, counting is one of the rituals that seems to be associated with OCD. I find that this is a very hard issue to reveal to doctors. I tell my doc that I have it under control but it often times takes over my life. I manage to continue working through it, but I see no other option. I don't want to be labelled, and am afraid to get into just how pervasive it can be.

Welcome to the boards!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
...but i dont like going to the doctor,because i think hes not going to believe me or he wont pick up on what i am trying to tell him,so in the end i lie or go along with what hes saying,then in the end i kind convince him im fine

Is this doc a psychiatrist or a general practitioner? Do you think you may be more comfortable with a different doctor? There are psychiatrists that are better than others in soliciting this information.

You may want to write down your symptoms in detail beforehand and give it to the doctor. That's what I often do since I, too, currently have a psychiatrist that doesn't seem to be too interested. I'm changing doctors now, by the way.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
amth said:
I wouldnt of thought that doing rituals because of ocd,would stop the anxiety,when i do my rituals its when im feeling most anxious,and still i am anxious.
OCD rituals are attempts to impose control over anxiety - but it is only partially successful and ultimately creates more anxiety.

The combination of medication plus therapy (which will include but will not be limited to cognitive behavior therapy or CBT) with an experienced practitioner CAN help you learn to manage both the anxiety which triggers OCD and the OCD symptoms themselves.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
amth said:
My daughter tells me shes counting colours,this happens when shes under stress from school,shes 13,could this be ocd,shes had it numerous times when shes under stress,she had like this attack a couple of months ago,she said her tongue was going numb and she couldnt breath and started to panic,i managed to calm her down and she was fine,then out of the blue she will have panics about something.

Have you sent your daughter to be evaluated by a psychologist or even a school psychologist? If not, I would consider doing so.

amth

My doctor is a general practitioner,not a phychiatrist,i dont know why i feel like that before i see the doctor,i dont think i have any reason to think that i could not discuss my fears with the doctor,but i think i will end up looking silly saying that.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think most doctors will explore the simplest explanation for the behavior first before considering more complex or serious explanations -- that's good medical practice, but as the patient or mother of the patient you need to tell him/her when/why the simpler explanations can't apply.

mico

Don't waste another minute

For heaven's sake go the the doctor and tell him what's wrong with you. I used to think I could handle my ocd without professional help but it was only wishful thinking on my part. Your ocd will continue to make your life miserable until you are treated by a professional. If your family doctor won't help you, get another family doctor because that's what I did. Think of all the time you are wasting and the pointless frustration you are putting yourself through by not getting help. If you think you can't beat the devil of ocd you are underestimating yourself.

amth

I have been to the doctors previously,they gave me anti depressants for depression i felt worse,its not easy for me to talk and express myself face to face,i know if i see the doctor i will act like im coping,thats what i do,i put a face on for everyone.I wean myself off the depressants because i had a bad experience.

I think anti depressants don't work very well all by themselves with OCD. I think a certain amount of therapy is usually in order in order to adress the thought patterns unique to us OCDers.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.