• Quote of the Day
    "Over the course of our lives, we’ll constantly be transforming into a more and more authentic version of ourselves. Our preferences will change. Our passions will change. And we have to be brave enough to choose the thing that makes us happiest in each moment."
    Mike Iamele, posted by @gooblax

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
“Every time I read a great book I felt I was reading a kind of map, a treasure map, and the treasure I was being directed to was in actual fact myself. But each map was incomplete, and I would only locate the treasure if I read all the books, and so the process of finding my best self was an endless quest. And books themselves seemed to reflect this idea. Which is why the plot of every book ever can be boiled down to ‘someone is looking for something.’” —Matt Haig, Reasons to Stay Alive

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
“But you love books, then,” Aunt Queen was saying. I had to listen.

“Oh, yes,” Lestat said. “Sometimes they are the only thing that keeps me alive.”

“What a strange thing to say at your age,” she laughed.

“No, but one can feel desperate at any age, don’t you think? The young are eternally desperate,” he said frankly. “And books, they offer one hope —- that a whole universe might open up from between the covers, and falling into that new universe, one is saved.”

Anne Rice, Blackwood Farm

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
“Poetry expands the senses and keeps them in prime condition. It keeps you aware of your nose, your eye, your ear, your tongue, your hand.”

“We have our Arts so we won't die of Truth.”

― Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing

Last edited:

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP

"[Bibliotherapy] is now interactive and moves beyond simply reading and into discussion and expression. It includes the use of literature of all kinds, including poetry, book passages, quotations, songs, storytelling, even segments of movies and video to help a person focus on what personal meaning it holds for them, and then to express themselves through journaling, writing, painting, dance, movement, or art in ways that help them bring themselves to deeper understanding and awareness."

~ Wendi R. Kaplan, LCSW, a certified poetry therapist

"When clients are in the throes of a new trauma, you don't want to rush them into reading or writing about a difficult experience. Some recent research points out that the power of silence helps our brains regenerate. Whenever a personal story has been shattered, it takes a while to adjust to the change. We have to allow for that."

~ Sandra Marinella, MA, MEd, author of The Story You Need to Tell: Writing to Heal from Trauma, Illness or Loss

Last edited:

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP

from La Torre​

Withdrawn to this solitary place,
With a few but learned books,
I live conversing with the dead,
listening to them with my eyes.

Open always, if not always understood,
they amend, they enrich my affairs:
in rhythms of contrapuntal silence,
awakened, they speak to the dream of life.

O Don José, for those great souls
absconded by death, the learnéd
press avenges time's slanders.

In irrevocable flight the hour flees;
but it can be counted fortunate
when we better ourselves by reading.

—Translated by Christopher Johnson.

Top Bottom