More threads by Jesse910

Years ago, I went through hassles with several pharmacy clerks who felt it was their job to call my name and then discuss my medications with me in a raised voice. This was never acceptable and I duly reported their behavior to the pharmacy manager and at times sent complaints. I was embarrassed and became very defensive to the point of having my husband pick up my meds for me.

Fast forward to current time, I went into the pharmacy last week and I encountered another pharmacist who attempted to do the same thing. I stopped her and explained that my meds had already been discussed with my doctor; these were meds that I have been taking for years, and I did not need her to advise me. She then informed me that it was her job to "counsel" me. I was not feeling well at the time because one of the very meds she was holding was the one I needed to take. My refusal to cooperate with her and her refusal to understand that I understood put me in a precarious situation. She threatened to call a security guard which I suggested she go ahead and do. I then requested another pharmacist who knew me. This other pharmacist came over, handled the transaction, and I was on my way. When security arrived, the pharmacist told him that the matter had been resolved. I don't want to be ridiculed in the future and I really need to know how to handle this better. What more could I have done? I realize that this shouldn't stump me, but it does. Thank you.

Retired

Some pharmacies often have more private areas where the pharmacist can discuss your medications and offer consultations. Your pharmacist can usually provide you with information in addition to that provided by your doctor, such as drug interactions with other prescribed medications known at your pharmacy, precise instructions on how the medications must be taken and any other specific instructions that may have been omitted by your doctor.

That being said, it would help you to know who is the actual licensed pharmacist at the store you deal with and who are the pharmacy technicians. The technicians (in larger stores) collect and dispense medications, and then the pharmacist should verify the prescription to ensure it is correct.

If you have strong reasons to deal with that particular store, then arrange to speak to the licensed pharmacist,or the owner, depending on whether your store is an independent or a chain, and tell your story to that person. I would also tell that person if you cannot deal exclusively with the pharmacist on duty, and not a technician, and if you cannot have a discussion in private, you will take your business elsewhere.

Frankly, if it were me, I would take my business elsewhere, because that behaviour seems unforgivable.

I would look for a small independent pharmacy if there is one in your area, where you can deal with the pharmacist who is likely the owner. In smaller stores, when the owner is absent, there would be another licensed pharmacist as a replacement, and is usually someone who works in the same style as the owner.

If you're dealing with a chain, and there are no independents in your area, then I would visit other stores, have a conversation with the pharmacist, ask your questions as to how they operate and explain your concerns. Deal with the one with which you feel most comfortable.

If the place you currently deal with is the only one in town, and is a chain, then call their head office, speak to their customer service and tell them about your store's poor customer service.

Pharmacies are businesses and are very competitive, so there is no reason to tolerate unacceptable behaviour from any of their staff. If they cannot treat you the way you deserve to be treated, do business elsewhere.

Thanks Steve for your comments. Actually, this was a new pharmacist whom I had never dealt with before. It is a pharmacy of convenience as it's near my office. To date, I have never had any problems. Given my history, I do not like to get into snafus with people -- especially women because it takes me to a place where I do not wish to go. And while a pharmacist may decide to tell me things that the doctor may not have told me, I'm very proactive with medications and what works well for me. Additionally, I am pretty text savvy with PDRs and googling. And, if I get stuck, I am able to email my doctor with any questions that I have and prefer this method. Suffice it to say, this woman went too far out of the box and I let her get to me. This will not happen again for my sake more than hers.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.