More threads by Retired

Retired

Microsoft has announced the launch of Internet Explorer version 7, which has been in beta testing for quite a while.

The new version 7 can be downloaded HERE

or you can wait until it becomes part of Windows Update in about a month or so.

There are several places for technical support for IE7, and my favorite is the former Compuserve, now operating under the banner Netscape IE Support Forum

The volunteers staffing this Forum have been providing support for all versions of IE, and Outlook Express for over a decade and it's the place I like to get my own IE support.

If you have a favorite IE support venue, let us know about it.

Share your experience with IE7, any anomalies, issues or incompatibilities with websites you may encounter.

What is it you like about IE7 and if you have been a Firefox user, how does IE7 compare with Firefox?

Firefox ver 2.0 can be downloaded HERE

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Opera 9 is the latest version, I think. I like it. IE is my preferred browser but as an alternative to IE, I prefer Opera over Firefox. (But then I really hate Firefox.)

There is now also:

Opera Mini™ 2.0
You can also get the Opera browser on your mobile phone! Use it to Google, check e-mail and surf all your favorite websites straight from the phone. Get Opera Mini as a free download now.

Im not that keen on IE, recently have used Firefox and dont know what all the fuss is about, people talk about it like its something special but I didnt like it at all, never used Opera, Im a Aol user and for all their faults and problems I like their browser,, dont all faint at once:D

AOL?!?

GASP..........:sleep:

I like Firefox better than IE for sure, but mainly because I can open all my windows in one (which you can do in opera, and have aparently been able to for ages). That is the only reason that I use it, becase I like things neat! :p

Retired

I downloaded and installed IE7 from Windows Updates today, and promptly uninstalled it.

There was some unexpected software behaviour where browsing my email client would spontanously launched IE7 along with an unwanted search page.

The search page was not included in my preferred search pages and I configure the browser homepage to be blank.

Also the search engine function did not work as expected, and my favorite "links" did not appear in the "full screen" view.

Settings for these functions did not appear to respond for me, so I have given up on IE7 for the time being.:yuk:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Uh-oh. :(

I haven't had time yet... maybe it's wise to wait for the beta testers' feedback... :eek:mg:

Which email client do you use, Steve?

ThatLady

I tend to avoid Beta tests. I figure there are enough risk takers out there. I don't have to be one of them. :p

Once Beta testing is over and the software "bugs" have been vanquished, I'll be more interested.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Well, officially IE7 is out of beta. However, I never upgrade to a new Microsoft version of Windows for at least a year for the same reasons... let other people do the debugging for me.

ThatLady

Heh. That shows how much attention I pay. :p

Like you, David, I'll give it a miss until the glitches are ironed out. There are always glitches. :yuk:

Retired

My email client is Express Plus, from Chaos Software, known for their contact manager, Time and Chaos.

I've been using EP without incident for two years, since its inception and the reason I like it is because it is highly configurable and fits into my way of operation.

At first I found the interface of IE7 a little puzzling, since several usual tools were not appearing despite having been turned on in the config settings.

I began losing hope when the highly touted search engine feature did not work, but then when I opened Express Plus andselected an email to read, that action would launch IE7 unexpectedly with a Dell homepage.

Nowhere do I have a Dell homepage configured on my system and this action could not be changed, deleted, or controlled.

That's when I decided to pull the chain!:rolleyes:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Steve, are you certain you are spyware-free? That doesn't sound like Microsoft. First, they are too sensitive to the issue of spyware. Second, they don't need to promote Dell, especially since Dell if I recall correctly recently announced they are going to ship machines with Google as the default search engine.

Check with the website for your email client and see if they have an update for IE7.

Retired

Steve, are you certain you are spyware-free?

Pretty sure, David. I run MS Defender daily plus the system has McAfee Security Center that came from the folks at Dell.

What was puzzling was that the browser homepage was set to 'blank" but when IE7 was launched by this action from within the email client, the browser would come up with the Dell homepage.

Now that I've reverted back to IE6, I have no unexpected software behaviour.

I'll consult with my friends on the IE Support Forum, and...good point I'll check the Chaos Software site for upgrades.

I've been hearing that some other people I chat with on other boards have had problems with it too Steve, strange stuff has been happening to them so your not alone, why dont you try AOL instead:D

Retired

Look Here for a list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on IE7. The posting pointed to on the Internet Explorer Forum will be updated as articles are made available.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.