More threads by Steven_v

steven, my heart goes out to you. i think you should definitely talk to your doctor about this. if you're afraid you may try again then the hospital may be the safest place for you right now. take care, my thoughts are with you.

ThatLady

Please, Steven, tell your doctor the truth. If you're feeling suicidal, you need care and you need it quickly. If you come to the point of trying to take your life, call a hotline, or go to the nearest emergency room and have them call your GP. You'll be in my thoughts. :hug:

Steven_v

i just dont really want to go into hospital, for a start its going to upset my family, plus iam just scarred. but my moods are just all over the place i dont know how iam gona feel even within the next few hours.

ThatLady

Steven, nobody ever wants to go to the hospital. It's upsetting for everyone concerned. However, there are times when we just have to go. You can't just sit home and let your appendix rupture, and the same goes for your mental health. When you're out of control, you need to be in a place where you're safe and cared for. :hug:

steven wide mood swings are a warning sign that things are not ok. i can see how it might confuse you and that you think you'll be alright one moment, but the next you might not be. i understand you do not want to upset your family by going into the hospital, but they will be even more upset if they find you having overdosed again or something else. this is your life we are talking about. please take care of yourself and get yourself immediate help. as thatlady suggested, call a crisis line or go to the ER should things become unmanageable. your doctor needs to know about this too.

Steven_v

but what do i say to my doctor? "oh by the way ive tried to overdose twice in the past few days and iam all over the place, send me to hospital". and then their's telling my family

ThatLady

If I were you, I'd go to my family first. They love you and they need to know you're having difficulties. A family can't pull together to help a member if they don't know the member needs help. Once you've talked to your family, you can make plans as to what to do and how to go about it. It's a lot easier and less painful to work together than to work alone, Steven.

ThatLady

I've said it often on these boards, but I'll say it again: Sharing your pain is giving a gift, Steven. It's allowing someone in. It's allowing someone to help you. Not only does that benefit you, but it make the other person feel useful and needed, as well. Too many times we forget that.

ThatLady

Sounds good, Steven, if you can hold on until then. Just remember, your family loves you and love is about sharing. It's not about keeping things to ourselves. The strongest love comes from things shared. :hug:

Halo

Steven,

I think that I can somewhat relate to how you are feeling as I am someone that tends to want to keep my family in the dark a lot of the time on how I am feeling. I know that it is scary to go to your family and tell them that you are not doing well and that you think that you need hospitalization but I will never forget my mothers words to me one time and that was "I would rather you come to me and tell me that you need to go and me be able to take you there than for me to have to call an ambulance to try and rush you there to save your life". Those words have always stuck with me.

Steven, I honestly believe that your family would be supportive even if you don't want to mention the previous attempts but just that you don't know how much longer that you can hang on and that you need their help. When you say family, if you are speaking about your parents then I really don't know of any mother or father that would not want to help their child get the help that they need. I agree with TL and BBC when they say that talking with your family first and maybe having one of them come with you to your appt. tomorrow would help.

If you are really in a bad state and concerned about making it through until your appt tomorrow then maybe waiting till tomorrow is not a good idea and going to the hospital tonight is a better solution. Only you know what is happening and what could happen.

Please take care and you will be in my thoughts.

hi steven, if you've made it through the night to this morning and are still at home, please be sure to see your doctor today and tell him about your situation. i know it's very unpleasant and i understand you're afraid and that you do not want to go. i know at one point i was feeling suicidal, very afraid and did not know what to do. i finally decided to go to the hospital as i didn't feel safe at home. it was a very awful feeling that i needed to go there to get help and a part of me really did not want to go. despite not wanting to go i went. i couldn't face my husband at that point (he had no idea how bad things were) and had some friends take me. even though it all felt pretty horrible that i even needed this help, i am so very glad that i did it. it kept me safe, i got help, and i made it through.

either choice is an unpleasant experience steven, but one choice is safer than the other. please keep yourself safe. talk to your doctor and be honest about what has been happening. take care okay? we care about you. :hug:

Steven_v

well its the next day and ive got my appointment in a few hours. but i woke up today feeling really good, and i feel stupid about yesterday. so i probably wont say anything to my gp, not just cause i'll feel stupid but because iam in such a good mood he probably wont believe me anyway.

Halo

Steven,

Even though you are feeling in a good mood now you described earlier your mood fluctuations and your two previous attempts of suicide when you were feeling much lower. I do think that even though you are feeling more "up" today that you need to tell your doctor openly and honestly what has been going on.

Although you may not need hospitalization today I still think that you should talk to your doctor and your family so that you have their support when those dark moments happen again and you can go to the hospital with their support.

Halo

Has he not taken you seriously when you have spoken to him in the past? What if you tell him about your two previous overdose attempts? Would that not open his eyes and hopefully make him take you seriously.

Steven_v

well ive not told him but my therapist before when i tried to take an over dose, and he didnt do anything so... i dont think they take me very seriously cause iam normally in a fair mood when i tell them

Steven - Hi! haven't been on in a while, so have missed your posts up until now. What ever you do, don't let your feelings go untold to the doctor. Even if you start with, "Its strange, I had a good sleep last night, and today I feel ok, but for the last ......(however long)..." and then just explain what you told us. You can even tell him that you feel silly brining it up, but the fact that you have tried three times in ......(however long).... has scared you enough to speak to him about it.

You can even tell him your fear of not been taken seriously, but i think that when you start to try to explain, your emotions are going to get the better of you anyway. I was in your situation when I had to tell my doctor about my attempts. I felt ok, and then a little stupid on the day. But when I started describing how I had been feeling, he was very compassionate - which made me cry like a baby.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.