More threads by Vinton

Vinton

I find that this self help forum is a great place to share and empty your bag befores it blows. I live in a small community where we all know each other and going to the hospital for anything related to mental problems spreads around fast. so if your hurting , keep it to yourself.

I've done it for years and still keeping my story quiet and not even my wife know that I have thought of going to see the fishies..

Halo

Re: help line on the net

Vinton,

If you are unable to get the real live help that you want in your community then I am really glad that you have decided to join our community here :)

Retired

Re: help line on the net

Hi Vinton,

Glad to hear you find the Psychlinks community to be a helpful and supportive place. That was my impression when I first joined Psychlinks two years ago, which is why I enjoy being a part of it.

Sorry to hear that you have not found the support you would like in your local community.

Do you feel that your local community doctors would violate confidentiality if you discussed psychological issues?

not even my wife know that I have thought of going to see the fishies

Do you mean by this that you have thought about suicide, Vinton?

Vinton

No but at times I had to go to the emergency for anxiety and you know everyone. Before retirement I had a job in the public so they all knew me.

ladylore

Account Closed
Hi Vinton,

I grew up in a small town so I am aware of those issues. I am glad to see you here.

Confidentiality is mandatory for both the doctor/patient relationship and therapist/client relationship. These rules are suppose to be strictly adheard to and can only be broken in extreme circumstances which are usually discussed with you at the start. Any breaches except for those few exceptions can have serious consequences, so rarely happen. At least that is suppose to be the way that works.

So even if people know where you are going, they won't know why. I would just hate to see you not recieving the treatment you need because of the way a small town runs.

And with that, I am glad your here with us. :)

Retired

Vinton,

When you are seeing your family physician for your yearly check up, are you able to discuss your anxiety issues so that you might receive on going treatment?

Do you experience panic attacks?

Are you receiving treatement for your anxiety at the present time?

Vinton

Hi Tsow,

I will try to make it short.

Not knowing till a few months ago I've had Tourette's Syndrome. I've been a very anxious person all my life and I made a career in police work. In 73 paralysed partially and got back on my feet and it took 9 years to know what it was. Then was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. In 82 was diagnosed with bipolar. In 88 down to cyclothymia.
In 2000 it was change to dysthymia and anxiety and so on. Recently was diagnosed with Tourettes and possible ADHD ..

Now! if you asked me... yes I thought about suicide and still think on & off because with all this stuff over the years accumulates and at 60 and looking around me the burden is way too heavy.

On the other hand I have great wife , two daughter. One is a doctor and the other is a school principal. Also have 5 grand children so I'm not going to let them down .

It is not a lack of courage because it takes a lot of courage to live with that pain for years and not telling anyone. Not even my wife knows what I'm feeling. I've worn a mask all my life. Many people would have gone to see the fishies.

ladylore

Account Closed
Your right Vinton it does take courage to live through all that and it sounds like you have loads of courage. You also have had many diagnoses over the years. Has anyone nailed down what is going on for you? Just speaking for myself now; that would give me anxiety in and of itself.

Well, this is a great place to be as it is very supportive. :)

is it an option to see a therapist in a different town or city, should you be concerned with people seeing you visit someone in your own town?

Vinton

Tourettes is the first one that that look right. Also I was just reading about (Leaky brakes ) or rage attacks and God knows how many I had over the years and how Guilty I've been. I have rapid mood swings as I can be depressed in the morning and 5 hours after playing golf and having a good time. It seems that this is related to tourettes as bipolar is much more spaced.

I've tried every test on the net for ADHD and I'm at the top of all of them.

I'M waiting for a CLSC psychologist but if he does not know about this I might as well stich with this forum.

If I could find someone

Retired

I have great wife , two daughter. One is a doctor and the other is a school principal. Also have 5 grand children so I'm not going to let them down .

Vinton,

These are your reasons to live and to find resources to help you deal with the difficulties you are experiencing. Sometimes our current medical system does not make that easy, but by using support groups such as Psychlinks and the TSFC Forum where I know you also participate, people who share your interests and concerns can help you find ways to cope.

I've tried every test on the net for ADHD and I'm at the top of all of them.

I don't know much about the tests available online, but my intuition says to treat them with caution and not rely on them too heavily.

Self diagnosis can be misleading, and that task should be left to a trained mental health professional.

I'M waiting for a CLSC psychologist

I gather you are in Quebec, Vinton. Is the CLSC your primary resource for medical care, or were you referred there by your family physician?

Let's keep the conversation going, Vinton and we'll try to figure out how to get you the help and resources you need.

Regards,

I have great wife , two daughter. One is a doctor and the other is a school principal. Also have 5 grand children so I'm not going to let them down .
this is what kept me going as well when in the depths of despair, hang on to this as your reason to live, and your reason to get help with everything you are struggling with. i wholeheartedly agree with tsow to keep talking to us here and together we can help you with suggestions and ideas.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.