More threads by gage_9b9

gage_9b9

Hi,

I have been searching the Internet for help with my relationship with my sister. I am sure she suffers from some sort of personality disorder or something and I just don?t know what to do.

It is a long story but her behavior can be angry, cold, controlling, hurtful and then she can be nice and sweet which makes me feel guilty for being mad with her and I then suffer by questioning myself. I feel really depressed at the moment and have tried to talk to her, asking her to open up but she won?t talk about anything and prefers to just 'get over it' - shutting me out again makes me feel worse, my mind goes into over drive and I?m making myself ill with worry.

I can be more specific with examples of behaviour, but firstly is there anyone who can offer their support?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I’m making myself ill with worry

This is really the key, gage.

You can't change other people. The only thing you can do is change the way you react to them when they are hurtful or where their behavior is contradictory and confusing.

You don't say what your situation is with respect to your sister. Are you living together? in the same house? or different residences in the same city? How old are you and how old is she? How difficult is it in your cicrcumstances to distance yourself from her or to set boundaries?

I think it would be helpful for you to look into some of the cognitve behavior therapy resources in the Recommended Resources forum here.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.