More threads by TAG

Benjamin

comfortzone said:
Benjamin...two for the price of one so to speak as you get both Dr. Baxter's and my responses. :)
Thank you both for your comments. :O)

I wasn't aware that ADHD could be caused by environmental factors. Interesting.

I've been reading a little about 3rd wave BT treatments such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and the claims are, these may be more effective than CBT. Do either of you have any experience with ACT and do you agree with that statement? I've found that accepting myself as I am, flaws and all, has helped alleviate my anxiety.

Benjamin

comfortzone said:
Benjamin...two for the price of one so to speak as you get both Dr. Baxter's and my responses. :)
Thank you both for your comments. :O)

I wasn't aware that ADHD could be caused by environmental factors. Interesting.

I've been reading a little about 3rd wave BT treatments such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and the claims are, these may be more effective than CBT. Do either of you have any experience with ACT and do you agree with that statement? I've found that accepting myself as I am, flaws and all, has helped alleviate my anxiety.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I do not personally rely exclusively on CBT or any other tool or technique in psychotherapy. I think that generally speaking psychotherapy procees in layers, beginning with resolving the immediate crisis and helping the client to develop tools for better coping. Thus, as a starting point, procedures like relaxation therapy and CBT (and frequently medications) are very helpful. In later stages, therapeutic approaches which go beyond the immediate crisis or symptoms are often more helpful. My clinical framework is client-centered therapy, which means my role as a therapist is to help the client define treatment goals at each stage and then adapt the treatment approach to the client and the specific goals of that client.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I do not personally rely exclusively on CBT or any other tool or technique in psychotherapy. I think that generally speaking psychotherapy procees in layers, beginning with resolving the immediate crisis and helping the client to develop tools for better coping. Thus, as a starting point, procedures like relaxation therapy and CBT (and frequently medications) are very helpful. In later stages, therapeutic approaches which go beyond the immediate crisis or symptoms are often more helpful. My clinical framework is client-centered therapy, which means my role as a therapist is to help the client define treatment goals at each stage and then adapt the treatment approach to the client and the specific goals of that client.

Benjamin

David Baxter said:
My clinical framework is client-centered therapy, which means my role as a therapist is to help the client define treatment goals at each stage and then adapt the treatment approach to the client and the specific goals of that client.
That seems like a good format for treatment.

Maybe you could suggest the type of therapy you've had the best success with for some of the problems I have.

I have a bad problem with conflict. I get extremely nervous whenever there is any kind of conflict, even if I'm not directly involved. I grew up in a house where there was a lot of screaming, disrespectful treatment, and nervous tension. I was afraid to do or say anything that might set someone off, which is probably why I have this problem with conflict.

I also have bad performance anxiety. I shake and my lower lip quivers when I have to speak in front of people. I also play a little guitar but have a hard time playing in front of anybody because I get so nervous, I shake and can't think clearly.

I'm currently not working due to my insomnia and I don't have much social contact these days. I live with my girlfriend and most of the time, she is the only person I talk to. I am sleeping a lot better now that I don't have the stress of the office environment, but I'm going to run out of money pretty soon so I need to do something. I've taken time off before to try to get my insomnia under control, but it always returns as soon as I go back to work.

It's been quite a few years since I've had any professional therapy and I'm thinking about trying it again. I went though individual therapy and group CBT but didn't make much progress. Maybe I'll get a little more out of it this time. I'd like to find a therapist who does "client-centered" therapy. Do you know of any in the Denver, Colorado area?

Benjamin

David Baxter said:
My clinical framework is client-centered therapy, which means my role as a therapist is to help the client define treatment goals at each stage and then adapt the treatment approach to the client and the specific goals of that client.
That seems like a good format for treatment.

Maybe you could suggest the type of therapy you've had the best success with for some of the problems I have.

I have a bad problem with conflict. I get extremely nervous whenever there is any kind of conflict, even if I'm not directly involved. I grew up in a house where there was a lot of screaming, disrespectful treatment, and nervous tension. I was afraid to do or say anything that might set someone off, which is probably why I have this problem with conflict.

I also have bad performance anxiety. I shake and my lower lip quivers when I have to speak in front of people. I also play a little guitar but have a hard time playing in front of anybody because I get so nervous, I shake and can't think clearly.

I'm currently not working due to my insomnia and I don't have much social contact these days. I live with my girlfriend and most of the time, she is the only person I talk to. I am sleeping a lot better now that I don't have the stress of the office environment, but I'm going to run out of money pretty soon so I need to do something. I've taken time off before to try to get my insomnia under control, but it always returns as soon as I go back to work.

It's been quite a few years since I've had any professional therapy and I'm thinking about trying it again. I went though individual therapy and group CBT but didn't make much progress. Maybe I'll get a little more out of it this time. I'd like to find a therapist who does "client-centered" therapy. Do you know of any in the Denver, Colorado area?

Hi Benjamin,

Here is a link to help you find a therapist. Client-centered therapy is like an umbrella which different types of therapy can fall under.

Humanistic Therapists

I hope you are able to find a therapist who can help you reach your goals.

Take care,

Hi Benjamin,

Here is a link to help you find a therapist. Client-centered therapy is like an umbrella which different types of therapy can fall under.

Humanistic Therapists

I hope you are able to find a therapist who can help you reach your goals.

Take care,

Nigel H

Benjamin - I would also suggest you look in to finding someone trained in Time Line Therapy(TM), via the Time Line Therapy Association and Dr Tad James. It is perfect for treating any form of anxiety - you could look in to the website
www.timelinetherapy.net for some background info.

All the best.

Nigel

Nigel H

Benjamin - I would also suggest you look in to finding someone trained in Time Line Therapy(TM), via the Time Line Therapy Association and Dr Tad James. It is perfect for treating any form of anxiety - you could look in to the website
www.timelinetherapy.net for some background info.

All the best.

Nigel

ThatLady

I had problems very similar to the ones you describe, Benjamin. Speaking in front of a group equated to absolute terror for me, and I couldn't handle conflict at all. I did receive therapy, beginning with cognitive therapy and interspersed with personalized approaches that my doctor felt would be useful to me. They were. I still don't really like to speak in front of large audiences, but I'm required to do so at times, and have been able to do it without dissolving into a fearful blob. I've also learned to confront conflicts in a more proactive manner. It can be done, hon. It takes time, and work, but it's doable! :)

ThatLady

I had problems very similar to the ones you describe, Benjamin. Speaking in front of a group equated to absolute terror for me, and I couldn't handle conflict at all. I did receive therapy, beginning with cognitive therapy and interspersed with personalized approaches that my doctor felt would be useful to me. They were. I still don't really like to speak in front of large audiences, but I'm required to do so at times, and have been able to do it without dissolving into a fearful blob. I've also learned to confront conflicts in a more proactive manner. It can be done, hon. It takes time, and work, but it's doable! :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.