More threads by Angel

Angel

This is taking a lot of courage to write this. But I'm starting to be able to admit that I need help greater than ever. Today, I was sitting at work and just having dinner and reading a magazine on a break when a panic attack happened and put me into heart seizure. A first aid attendant at my work came and radioed for help. Soon an ambluance team arrived and had to get me settled down enough to make sure I was ok. I don't even know what I was thinking about at the time but it came on out of the blue.

I've tried talking to my doctor about it and he put me onto Celexa which I'm to start tomarrow. As for seeing a special psychaitrist here in town, he has a one to two year waiting list. I'm not sure what to do right now. And I know I'm freaking alot of people out.. Especially myself.

I could use some advice. Thanks!

Angel

ThatLady

Hopefully, hon, the Celexa will help. You'll start that tomorrow, so look at it as a ray of hope. It's a real shame that you can't get an appointment with a psychiatrist/psychologist any sooner than a year from now. Are there any towns nearby where you might see someone sooner, perhaps?

Me1

Medications generally take one to three weeks to take full effect, so don't give up if it doesn't work right away, okay?

When you have panic attacks, do you try talking yourself down? Sometimes it can help.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Shan said:
Medications generally take one to three weeks to take full effect
...or longer. You may notice some benefit even the first week, or you may not notice anything substantial for 4 to 6 weeks. Even then, other people may notice a change in you before you do. And for the full beneficial effect of the medications it may take several weeks or months -- the way these medications work is gradual and cumulative.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.