More threads by Mia713

Mia713

I am trying to kick my addiction to self injury. It is really hurting my boyfriend to see me do this to myself. He takes away anything sharp I can use to hurt myself with, but I don't think this is an effective way to get me to stop. I always find some sort of instrument to use to get the job done behind his back. I tried some different ways in the past to stop. I even tried talking to a psychiatrist, although I didn't like him, so I never went back after the first session. I am thinking about starting counseling that my school offers. I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how I can beat this thing. It's been going on for 6 years, and I'm tired of it and I'm ready to stop and move on with my life.
Thanks.

Re: I need help.

I would definitly check out the counseling your school is offering...for me personally I thought I could stop on my own but you said it exactly when you said that it is an addiction...most people wouldn't expect someone addicted to drugs or alcohol to quit on their own w/out help and no one expects you to be able to kick the habbit alone...also, I would suggest trying another therapist...it took me three therapist to finally find the one that was able to help me...don't give up...i'm glad you have the desire to stop b/c nothing will&injury forum...I know there is more than one that deals with ways to distract yourself...good luck

Mia713

I think I will give the counseling a try. Thanks so much for the support. It is nice to be able to talk about this stuff with people who understand and are going through the same thing, instead of me just keeping it inside and not talking about it.

ThatLady

Counselling is a wonderful idea for you, Mia. It's obvious from what you've written that you're ready to get this behind you and get on with your life. That's the first step toward recovery...the realization that it's something you must do for yourself. :)

Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted!

Hi Mia713 and welcome to psychlinks :hello: Sounds like you're well on your way to moving towards making some positive changes.

just remember that you deserve to be better that you can live a happy relativly normal life without this habbit .. you are aloud to feel and express emotion do not let anybody convince you other wise we are all worth the best so you are too !
try going out for a walk and surrounding yourself with good people that you trust and accept you..
yours trully
ashley

no probleme just know that you are not alone in this and that people can help you beet it you deserve to be better it is hard but worth it
yours trully
ashley

Eunoia

hey mia! nice to have you w/ us here!! :D

honestly, the best thing to get you started in learning to stop is is having a genuine desire to do so, b/c in the end all the help in the world is of no use if you wouldn't want to find other ways to cope... and it's nice that you have your b/f who cares about you and is trying to help you, even if it hasn't stopped you yet, which is understandable... I agree that it would be a good idea to check out the counselling at your school, and if that fails try to find someone who might know a bit about si? that was an important aspect for me, not as a prerequisite but just to get an idea on where the therapist stands w/ that kind of thing... you can beat it, many people go periods without si and some can stop on their own- but I think if it's interconnected w/ other things and has becomes a coping mechanism for a long time, it'd be more difficult to stop on your own, but my point is you can "beat this". there is a really good post in this forum on things to do instead of si depending on what you're feeling, that might help as well..... good luck!

Rosa

(((Mia))) I'm so sorry to hear your having a hard time today. We're you able to meet with that school therapist that you liked? I was hopeing she would be really helpful to you. If not, definately seek out help. On line help is wonderful-finding this sight has been such a blessing- but at the same time there is not subsitute for siting face to face with someone who can look in your eyes and see your pain, not judge you, and give you ideas on how to change and work through your pain in other ways. Hopefully this would be a person you could know you could pick up the phone and talk to during these difficult times as well. I just want you to be safe and I want your pain to end. Someone had written that doing this for six years is likely going to take some time to develop other coping ways-this is ever so true.
Take care
Rosa

Rosa

ps...to my post above...I just read Dr Baxters post above on tips on stoping self-injury. Did you get a chance to read it? It has some good ideas. Do you think any of them could be helpful to you?
Rosa

Mia713

Thanks Eunoia and Rosa. I am meeting with my school therapist, and she is helpful. I feel like I can trust her, and its been a week since I last cut! :)

ThatLady

Happy one week anniversary, Mia! I can't tell you how proud I am of you! It's a difficult thing you're doing, but that will make success even more sweet, won't it? :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.