More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
I am due for a phone upgrade soon and am leaning towards an iPhone because of brand recognition but I'm hearing lots about android. What is the difference and pros/cons of android over iPhone? I have a Blackberry right now that needs to last until March but I honestly don't think it'll live til the end of the month.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I gave up on my last Blackberry update after about 4 months.

I went to iPhone because:

• from personally polling owners, iPhone has better reliability
  • it appears to get new apps first and has more of them
  • there are more Android viruses and other malware than iPhone malware
  • cell phone suppliers try to push you toward Android not because they're better but because they get a higher profit margin; Android manufacturers discount their phones to suppliers like Bell and Rogers so they offer discounts to customers for 2 and 3 year contracts; iPhone just has one price for everyone so suppliers don't get that discount and have to sell at the iPhone price which limits their profit margin. For that reason, cell phone reps will tell you all kinds of lies and half-truths about advantages of Androids that don't actually exist. For that reason alone, I distrust them.

Banned

Banned
I bought an iPad this summer to use while I was off for surgery. I thought I'd use it for eight weeks and then sell it but I love it and its gotten me familiar with Apple products so I'd be more comfortable going to an iPhone now too.

AmZ

My iPhone has been a lifesaver for me whilst being in the hospital. There's endless things to go on it and I'm always finding more and more new stuff! Even though I'm paying monthly for it on a 36 month plan (!), it's definitely worth the money. I don't even get my laptop out of the cupboard any more because I can do 90% of things on my iPhone.

If you're already familiar with the iOS from the iPad then I'd agree about getting an iPhone. I've never used one myself (my first smartphone is a Note 2 and before that I've only had a play with my dad's HTC phone), but the people I know who have iPhones seem to really like them.

Would you get iPhone 5 or one of the earlier models?

Banned

Banned
I'd get the iPhone 5. May as well since its got the most up to date "stuff" (how's that for technical talk?!)

Hi turtle,

In our house we have both an Android and an iPhone. Both are good phones. The phones are used for everything from email to entertainment to geocaching. So, I would recommend either phone.

There is also an iPod touch in our home. My daughter is a huge fan of Apple products. She is getting her first mobile phone in a few weeks (no not Christmas gift). I will be giving her a new phone,so her choice is not based on finances. She is tilting towards an Android phone. It has really surprised us because Apple products our what she likes. The one reason she is leaning towards an Android is because when she updates her ipod touch she has to reload many of the apps on her phone while the Android does not do this. Also there are more apps for the Androids than for the iPhone.

As for myself, I am looking at getting the curves blackberry or a Nokia phone that has a full keyboard. A little phone, no touch screens, and nothing fancy. My current phone is a Nokia very simple and it is about five years or more old. I have been told it is time to upgrade. I really do not like fancy phones. I just want a phone, not a camera, mp3 player, entertainment unit.....Just a phone....

Banned

Banned
I will definitely miss having a tactile keyboard. That is one thing I really live about my blackberry but undortunately at this point in time the only thing I love. I use it a lot to go online and it is so slow. And the camera is terrible. I will probably not use 1/4 of the features of the iPhone because I can't keep up but I do want a good camera, fast Internet access, and the fact I could sync it with my iPad is a plus.

Banned

Banned
Is it hard typing on the itty bitty keyboard of the phone? How many mistakes do you make in one message? :lol:

I know what you mean about the keyboard.... On my iPhone, if I am typing, I prefer that the screen is horizontal rather than vertical. That makes the buttons a little stretched out and further apart from each other and less likely to make mistakes. On the other hand, the auto correct is pretty good, although there are certainly some doozies I've seen for WAY too much correction! lol

Banned

Banned
Blackberry is trying really hard to make a comeback with the Blackberry 10 they are releasing next month. It has some interesting features and once I have more technical specifications, it may be enough to persuade me to stick with RIM.

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
well am gonna poo poo the iphone

It's the worst phone I have ever had

My daughter has had three blackberries all of which have never had signal or connective issues it far out performs my iphone and we bought her a playbook to go with it

The black berry playbook has dropped in price drastically for a 64gb version you can pick it up for a fraction of the price of a ipad and it has better technical spec

The problem with blackberry is it is the perfect network it cannot be hacked it is impenetrable to both malware and third party monitoring of any kind that is why the goverments use them

At the same time no one in the industry likes them because they are so good ... no one can make money from them or manipulate them

That is the saddest part for me they have been hammered for being SO good

My son has the new HTC x one + it has a quad core processor is 4g enabled Ive never seen a piece of kit like it and you can install absolutely anything you want even operating system if you wish and it is a fraction of the price and far out performs the iphone 5

Iphone's are dictatory their product is not very good given the high end market it targets they are riddled with bugs and security issues and for the money your investing you could get yourself something like my sons HTC that runs android therefore far less cost for apps etc and you ultimately control your own phone.

You won't be told what you can and can't do and it will work seamlessly

Me personally given the choice I would buy a blackberry and a playbook for a fraction of what an iphone will cost

In fact I am buying an playbook even though I don not own my own blackberry because I have been that impressed with it and they are that cheap which may lead to a blackberry phone purchase because the interaction you can do between the phone and playbook is brilliant.

I would go on the technical forums for the iphone and you will get an idea of the many many issues that exist

My own particular issues with mines has never been resolved to my satisfaction and many people have the same issues as me without any fix, which is intermittent ability to receive and send picture messages which in this day and age is shocking every other phone I have owned has never had a problem with this.

Anytime someone does manage to help with it any update I do to my phone brings the problem back.

I would give it quite a bit of thought and have a good look round

I personally think within 6 months the iphone will be old school due to the quality of next gen smart phones that are out there

The HTC my son has beats the pants off of anything

I will never buy an iphone again

Ever!

Happy phone hunting

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.