More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
So I use gmail. It doesn't seem to download automatically, anyone know how to make this happen? If I have to check for mail every five minutes I will go loopy. There has to be a way...

---------- Post Merged at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Ooh ooh I think I Fixed it :facepalm:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Settings >> General >> Background App Refresh

Choose the apps you want to refresh in the background. Turn off the rest to conserve battery life.

When you install new apps, check this setting again. Many set background refresh to on by default. Do you really need instant updates for that game? Probably not.

Relatively unrelated question, but do you guys get good data connection speeds?

I've kept my phone on 3G because I rarely try to do much on my phone other than instant messaging. But whenever I try to load a webpage it can take from about 30 seconds to a few minutes.
In the couple of cases where I've got marginally lost and tried to load a map, I've usually un-lost myself before the map area has loaded (let alone zoomed in to where I needed to look).

Sorry, should have clarified that I've got Android 4.1.2 on a Galaxy Note 2. (There is an upgrade to 4.3 available but from what I've read the potential problems outweigh the benefits.)

Things load fine on wifi at home because I've got a good connection. At free wifi points it does get slower. The phone's capable of LTE (4G) but my service provider doesn't offer it... So I think it's just a really slow connection on 3G that's causing my problem.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.