More threads by amastie

amastie

Hi,

from another thread, I rememberd this advice from a nurse who worked in a ward at a major cancer hospital here. She was caring for people many of whom were dying from the effect of smoking and yet she herself had been unable to give up smoking until she started taking Zyban. She not only was able to give up smoking but felt good at the same time. I later heard that it was an anti-depressive. Iti's also been linked to helping people with other compulsions, including over-eating - which would interest me.

I mention it how to ask if others have found Zyban or other meds helpful for addictive behaviours, especially smoking - and, more especially, where depression or mental illness is a contributing factor.

Thanks,

amastie

Jazzey

Account Closed
Re: Meds which help quit smoking (and other addictiive behaviours)

Hi Amastie,

I've tried Zyban and unfortunately, for me, it had some bad effects (sleeplessness or really vivid dreams). Having said that, I've spoken with many people for whom the effects were substantially reduced. I think we all react differently.

While I knew it was a mild anti-depressant, I'd never heard that it could assist with compulsions.

There's a new drug on the market that's supposed to replace Zyban (in Cdn at least) but I don't remember the name...

I'm attaching a link to a smoking cessation article which discusses various methods to stop smoking. It also discusses some meds that I've never heard of.

Quit Smoking Aids - Quit Aids - Smoking Cessation Aids

As for me, I've set a quit date and I think I'm going to try to go cold turkey again (I have patches as a backup - just in case :) )

amastie

...As for me, I've set a quit date and I think I'm going to try to go cold turkey again (I have patches as a backup - just in case :) )
Where are all the fingers I can cross for you Jazzey?! I will keep my toes crossed too :)
You have a lot of bravery so, if anyone can, you can!
Want to cheer you on...

:cheerleader:

For now :support:

Jazzey

Account Closed

Aww - thanks Amastie...that means a lot to me. :airkiss::friends:

Retired

Anti-Smoking Medications: Zyban and Chantix
By: William W. Deardorff, PhD, ABPP

Currently there are two main prescription medications that may be prescribed to help people quit smoking: Zyban and Chantix.

Zyban (bupropion)
Bupropion is a prescription anti-depressant medication marketed under the brand names Wellbutrin (for depression) and Zyban (for smoking cessation). Zyban does not contain nicotine and is thought to affect chemicals in the brain that are related to nicotine craving. Zyban can be used either alone or in conjunction with nicotine replacement therapy.

Zyban success rates
Zyban has been shown to be approximately twice as effective as placebo at three months and approximately 1.5 times as effective as placebo at 1-year. Most studies show success rates of about 30% at 3 months and about 15% at 1-year.

Long-term success rates of Zyban are on the lower end, as smokers tend to relapse after longer periods of time. The success rate for Zyban is equivalent to the previously reviewed Nicotine Replacement Therapy to Quit Smoking. As with the other medication approaches to quitting smoking, Zyban is best used in conjunction with non-medication approaches.

Zyban is available in the generic form, bupropion.

Chantix (varenicline)
Chantix was developed solely to help people quit smoking and is one of the newest medication approaches available. Chantix works by interfering with nicotine receptors in the brain. This interference decreases the pleasurable effects of the nicotine and reduces the unpleasant symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.

Chantix success rates
Chantix has been shown to be approximately three times as effective as placebo at both three months and 1-year. According to the manufacturer?s website, Quitting CHANTIX is a Prescription Medicine to Help Adults Quit Smoking, studies have shown that at 3 months, 44% of those using Chantix were able to quit smoking.

Chantix has also been compared to Zyban and placebo. In the study, participants received Chantix, Zyban, or sugar pills (placebo) twice a day for three months. In addition to the pills, patients were also given a booklet on quitting smoking and received brief counseling at each visit. The effectiveness showed that both Zyban and Chantix were more effective than sugar pills, and Chantix was more effective than Zyban:

Chantix - 44% quit
Zyban - 30% quit
Placebo - 17% quit
Preliminary studies suggest the one-year abstinent rate for Chantix is about 20%. Other studies have shown Chantix users were 60% more successful at quitting smoking at 1-year compared to Zyban.

As with other medication approaches, using Chantix along with psychological-behavioral interventions improves long-term results. Chantix is relatively new (released on the market in May, 2006) and cannot be purchased as a generic(at this time).

Halo

Jazzey,

That is awesome that you have set a quit date. In my experience even with all my hospitalizations, the patch helped me because I knew that once I had it on that I couldn't smoke. It is forbidden according to the directions and I thought twice before taking it off. I was also started on the patch in the hospital

What I also found helpful as well was a site that tracks your days and hours quit as well as your money saved, days saved on your life as well as a forum for support. I haven't used it much for support but just seeing the above information before my eyes really helped get me through. The website is Quitnet.com. Who knows, it may help you as well.

If you need any motivation, I am here for you....although it has only been 4 months, I can relate to a lot of what happens when you quit.

Take care

Jazzey

Account Closed
Four months is a great feat Halo - don't take that away from yourself....I know how strong the grip is.

Thank you for all of your support Halo. I really appreciate it.

amastie

Wanted to add my congratulations to you Halo for having been stopped for months. That's wonderful!
It takes such strength to do it one day at a time...
:cheerleader:

Halo

Thanks Amastie :) Some days are not easy (as with everything) but I know that I made the right decision :D

I'm afraid I'm smoking again at the moment.... :bonk:

but the last time I sustained a successful quit, I found the forums at QuitNet extremely helpful. I really like the way they operate there-- there's lots of encouragement, just like here. I too would highly recommend the site to anyone trying to quit.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.