More threads by Stompgal

Stompgal

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was just 4. My younger brother is also autistic and he has a more servere type called Kanner's Autism.

There are many differences between us such as mannerisms. I have many interests such as music, films, going to the gym and cooking. Things that stress me out are loud noises, crowded places and having to wait for a long time.

My brother is interested in things such as looking at motorbikes and swimming. When he gets agitated, he jumps and starts screaming. He also spun around at one point.

I live in a care home that is especially for people with ASD and Asperger's Syndrome. My unit is especially for people with AS and milder forms of ASD. One housemate of mine has OCD as well as Asperger's Syndrome. I also keep in touch with penfriends who have AS.

We are currently going through testing to see if my 3 year old has Asperger's. I'm worried that 3 is such a young age....

Though when I read how you describe yourself, I see my daughter a lot. She loves music, though it has to be at a certain level, she cannot handle loud noises, crowded places and waiting are so hard for her. She also has to wear jeans, any kind of wind breaker is out of the question.

I know this might be quite personal, but do you think that your where you want to be in life? Do you find, as an adult, hard to cope with having Aspergers?
Sorry, I just worry about my daughter and I don't know many adults with Aspergers.
Thank you!! :D

Last edited:

Retired

I live in a care home that is especially for people with ASD and Asperger's Syndrome.

Stompgal,

Are you living in the care home in addition to being involved in activities outside the home?

Is your brother living at the same home and what is your relationship like with other members of your family?

Stompgal

Stompgal,

Are you living in the care home in addition to being involved in activities outside the home?

Is your brother living at the same home and what is your relationship like with other members of your family?

Yes. I'm involved in activities outside the home such as going to Needlecraft and Radio Drama classes at a local arts centre, Independent Community Access, going to the gym and going to an Asperger's Social Group on the last Saturday of every month.

As for my brother, he lives somewhere else; a residental college for students with ASD, which is a 40 - 45 minute drive from where my parents live.

In the past, my younger sister often referred to me as 'disabled' and I generally don't like that term. I seem to get along with her better now by contacting her on MySpace and MSN/Windows Live Messenger.

Two or three years ago, my life was particularly difficult. I was 17 - 18 years old during that time. In the Summer of 2004, I had a hypomanic episode as well as another one in 2005. After my 2005 hypomanic episode, I left my college and started to threaten my parents because my Dad once threatened to hit me with a frying pan. Last year, I moved to London to live in the care home.

Peanut

We are currently going through testing to see if my 3 year old has Asperger's. I'm worried that 3 is such a young age....

Though when I read how you describe yourself, I see my daughter a lot. She loves music, though it has to be at a certain level, she cannot handle loud noises, crowded places and waiting are so hard for her. She also has to wear jeans, any kind of wind breaker is out of the question.

I know this might be quite personal, but do you think that your where you want to be in life? Do you find, as an adult, hard to cope with having Aspergers?
Sorry, I just worry about my daughter and I don't know many adults with Aspergers.
Thank you!! :D

I had a coworker who had autism and you really couldn't tell other than what she told you, like she had no concept of time. She worked as an instructor at an ABA school for kids with autism and used her first hand knowledge to be one of the best teachers at the school. She also adopted two kids with autism. There are always special gifts (I don't mean savant qualities) but human gifts people have to give to the world. =)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.