More threads by Thelostchild

So I went to see my psychiatrist this morning and it always goes the same we talk about how my meds are coming along, what current events have been going on in my wonderful life, reads up on some note taking by my psychologist and we discuse that. And for some he tells me in any situatuion that we are talking about he talls me "Emily that's something you could have avoided" which I know that but I don't always have some one to talk to. I don't have friends and the only people I have to talk to is the great forum. I don't know if he understand how I feel or he just assumes that I'm alright. He really doesn't acknowledges that Im going towards a goal of going underweight. I don't know maybe its just me

ThatLady

Perhaps, what he's saying is that if you had taken a moment to think the situation through, you could have avoided a negative ending. I hear what you're saying, though. When one first begins to work on one's reactions to difficult situations, it's hard to know if you're thinking correctly, and if the decision you feel you're about to make is the right decision. Sometimes, you have time to bring it to the boards, sometimes you don't. When you don't, you have to go ahead and do what seems right at the time. If it turns out that a better decision could have been made, you can look at the whole thing as a learning experience and file it away for future use. :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
He really doesn't acknowledge that I'm going towards a goal of going underweight.

Communication is a two-way street, LostChild. Is it possible that he doesn't seem to understand you because you really aren't telling him very much about you?

I do my best a communicating. I understand that communicating is a two way street. My mom puts that in my head all the time. Yeah there might be one thing im not telling him. But when I feel comfortable I will do so. If he doesn't understand what Im saying or what ever it might be I wish that he would tell me. But I have failed to tell him that. I know sometimes Im hard to understand and I expect people to read my mind. But it just isn't going to happen.

K9

Hi there ThelostChild, I don't think we have met on the boards before but here goes. When I first went to my therapist she said to me that she thought she could help me IF I worked with her. So I guess it is a two-way street. They need to have something to work with I guess.

Just a little about myself. I am at the other end (I have been eating all day). I eat when I am depressed and then get more depressed when I eat, so it goes around again. Way back when I was in my 20's, about 30 years ago, I was always dieting, weighing myself everyday and making sure I didn't put on half an ounce. I would look in the mirror and not like what I saw. Those clothes would'nt fit a 12 year old now. I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I wasn't even this heavy when I was pregnant. I have put on 20kgs (don't know what that is in lbs) in 12 months.

I am here if you want to talk, take care of yourself. K9:)

Thanks K9. I understand. When your a teen for some girls its easy to eat what you want and never gain an ounce. but Think about it when we were in high school and out and about up and movie more then we do thats when we got our exercise now day we mature in to wemon and our bodys grow these awfull figures and it sucks to think that there is no way we will ever get back into those small clothes again. But hey it was nice meeting you.

ThatLady

TLC, have you ever considered telling your therapist, outright, that you're working toward the goal of being underweight? We go to therapists because we need help dealing with issues in our lives...things we find we can't control without assistance. Yet, sometimes, we don't give the therapist any real information to work with. We expect them to ferret it out of us, or devine it from tea leaves, or something. ;)

One of the most important things to learn about therapy, and the very thing that helps therapy to work, is that we must be totally honest. Nobody can help us if they're basing their help on lies and/or half-truths.

I have told him several time and even this morning. hes said well your under weight and I said well it looks like achieving my goal. im not ready to tell him that I take diet pills and i exercise the heck out of my self. i know its not a good thing that Im doing. Im not lieing to him. I always tell the truth, maybe half just about the diet pills.

ThatLady

You're not lying to him, exactly, hon. However, you are failing to tell him pertinent information that will help him help you. If you'll think about it, you're there for help. The best way to get that help is to be totally forthcoming with the issues that are causing you problems. I know it's hard. I've been there. However, once it's done therapy moves along a lot quicker and the gains are more quickly realized.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.