More threads by X_Rage_X

X_Rage_X

I need some advice from someone who may know about this stuff.
Judging from the way I feel, and past diagnoses, it is obvious to me that I need professional help. My mental condition is detiriorating the quality of my life to the point where I am afraid to get a full time job. I have no health insurance and cannot afford to see a therapist or even group therapy. I definitely cannot afford a psychiatrist although it is obvious I am in need of medication. (I have taken meds before and have improved but got 10 times worse when I came off them). What are my chances of qualifying for some kind of disability so that I can get help and start working like a normal person? I couldn't even keep a waitressing job going because of memory problems and social anxiety... I would cry before work because I was afraid to go to work, and I ended up quitting after less than a month. I had a good full time job after that but found I could not deal with commuting by train during rush hour every day either (among other things) and ended up quitting that job also. I am a college graduate and I know I can do better than this. I don't want to end up locking myself away in a room forever. Please help. Thanks.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm not sure what the criteria for disability are in the US. It sounds like you could well qualify for disability here in Canada.

Do you have a family doctor you could ask? Any chance of a family member helping out?

What about a university near you? Sometimes, they offer free or low cost counselling services...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What are my chances of qualifying for some kind of disability so that I can get help and start working like a normal person?

The quickest option to applying for Medicaid would probably be to use the link Janet gave you to have the New Jersey division of Medical Assistance and Health Services determine if you are eligible:

ADULT MEDICAID
New Jersey Medicaid covers persons who are age 65 years or over and persons determined blind or disabled by the Social Security Administration or by the division of Medical Assistance and Health Services. The individual must be a resident of New Jersey and a citizen of the United States or lawfully admitted for permanent residence. Care may be in an institution or in the community.

MEDICALLY NEEDY
Medically Needy: Provides certain medical benefits for persons whose income and resources are too high to qualify for regular Medicaid but do not have enough to pay their medical bills. Four categories are considered for the Medically Needy program: pregnant women, dependent children under 21 years of age, persons 65 years of age or older and individuals who are blind or disabled. Medically Needy applications are taken at all three MCDSS offices.
מחשוב ענן - פורטל שירותי מחשוב ופיתוח אפליקציות

The only other way to apply for Medicaid is to apply for Social Security disability benefits. However, that would take longer because of "90 to 120 days" of processing:

It generally takes from 90 to 120 days to process claims for disability benefits.
http://www.ssa.gov/d&s1.htm

Also, Social Security probably has tougher medical proof requirements because most people who apply for Social Security benefits are turned down:

A disability means you have a physical or mental problem that is expected to last at least a year or result in death.
http://www.ssa.gov/d&s1.htm

BTW, there are two different Social Security disability programs:

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured" meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI): pays benefits based on financial need.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

To apply for SSI, one would have to make an appointment with the local Social Security office by calling Social Security's 1-800 number. The local Social Security office would handle both the SSI and SSDI applications.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.