More threads by Lookin4Help

I know this forum has a lot of experience in Canada, but I'd really like some direction on how to help someone here in the USA.

My friend is a mid 30's woman with borderline personality disorder, secondary narcissism and delusional disorders. Her condition has left her mainly destitute and really has nowhere else to turn.

Her episodes, while they can be violent, are not a problem for me but they are for my housemate as well as her parents, who are elderly. They have resulted in them putting locks on their bedroom doors as well as my housemate. She can go into violent tantrums and rages, that is when she's not in utter fear and stress from delusional and imagined trauma.

We tried therapy, 2-3 visits a week with a therapist and twice a month with a pdoc, but her problems are mainly 20+ year ingrained psychological so various med regimes haven't helped. Her imagined traumas have also thwarted therapy as she'll put herself into a hypochondria phase of believing she is dieing by recollecting delusional past events of imagined exposure to killer diseases. Even after arranging testing to show negative occurance of the disease, she either picks a new disease with delusional recollections or insists the test results are inaccurate. This is enough to put her in a 4-7 day suffering brigade of imagined sickness.

The delusional disorder also prevents her from even low adult functioning. She believes she is being stalked, watched and followed. She feels any food or drink is poisoned from outside as well as feels there are agents in the outside world after her, trying to give her diseases or harm her. This makes testing visits, therapy or any exposure out of the house very, very difficult.

I believe the only thing left to try is actual commital, but I'm unsure how to begin this process. I cannot continue to afford the therapy visits nor can I accomodate her any longer as it's too much for my job and housemate. Her parents are also low income and cannot accomodate her any longer either.

I'm looking for anyone with resources or links for California, USA and any help or direction towards getting this process started. I'm also interested if anyone knows of any programs or assistance/aid here in the USA or California that might lead to alternate forms of therapy or institutional information for her. Her normal therapy was $1100/mon, not including meds. We have halted all forms of therapy currently due to episodes preventing them.

There has to be something that can be done to get her the care that she needs. I'm hoping the expertise on this forum can point me to a few directions, government programs or local programs that she may qualify for.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

I know this forum has a lot of experience in Canada, but I'd really like some direction on how to help someone here in the USA.

My friend is a mid 30's woman with borderline personality disorder, secondary narcissism and delusional disorders. Her condition has left her mainly destitute and really has nowhere else to turn.

Her episodes, while they can be violent, are not a problem for me but they are for my housemate as well as her parents, who are elderly. They have resulted in them putting locks on their bedroom doors as well as my housemate. She can go into violent tantrums and rages, that is when she's not in utter fear and stress from delusional and imagined trauma.

We tried therapy, 2-3 visits a week with a therapist and twice a month with a pdoc, but her problems are mainly 20+ year ingrained psychological so various med regimes haven't helped. Her imagined traumas have also thwarted therapy as she'll put herself into a hypochondria phase of believing she is dieing by recollecting delusional past events of imagined exposure to killer diseases. Even after arranging testing to show negative occurance of the disease, she either picks a new disease with delusional recollections or insists the test results are inaccurate. This is enough to put her in a 4-7 day suffering brigade of imagined sickness.

The delusional disorder also prevents her from even low adult functioning. She believes she is being stalked, watched and followed. She feels any food or drink is poisoned from outside as well as feels there are agents in the outside world after her, trying to give her diseases or harm her. This makes testing visits, therapy or any exposure out of the house very, very difficult.

I believe the only thing left to try is actual commital, but I'm unsure how to begin this process. I cannot continue to afford the therapy visits nor can I accomodate her any longer as it's too much for my job and housemate. Her parents are also low income and cannot accomodate her any longer either.

I'm looking for anyone with resources or links for California, USA and any help or direction towards getting this process started. I'm also interested if anyone knows of any programs or assistance/aid here in the USA or California that might lead to alternate forms of therapy or institutional information for her. Her normal therapy was $1100/mon, not including meds. We have halted all forms of therapy currently due to episodes preventing them.

There has to be something that can be done to get her the care that she needs. I'm hoping the expertise on this forum can point me to a few directions, government programs or local programs that she may qualify for.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Generally speaking, the most popular federal and state government programs are: Social Security Income, Food Stamps, and Medicaid (called Medi-Cal in California).

Short-term residential treatment programs are usually paid for with Medicaid, private insurance, or lots of cash. There are also group homes, but I don't know much about group/community living programs for people with mental illness.

Online resources:
California Dept. of Mental Health
California NAMI - Find Local Services & Support

You may also want to contact a local chapter/affiliate of NAMI in your city/county for more info on local resources:

California NAMI - Local Affiliates

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Generally speaking, the most popular federal and state government programs are: Social Security Income, Food Stamps, and Medicaid (called Medi-Cal in California).

Short-term residential treatment programs are usually paid for with Medicaid, private insurance, or lots of cash. There are also group homes, but I don't know much about group/community living programs for people with mental illness.

Online resources:
California Dept. of Mental Health
California NAMI - Find Local Services & Support

You may also want to contact a local chapter/affiliate of NAMI in your city/county for more info on local resources:

California NAMI - Local Affiliates

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.