More threads by Steven_v

Steven_v

ok so ever since the Friday before last when i OD on sudafed (wasn't trying to kill myself i was trying to slim down) and nearly died with my heart going through the roof, and i went into a fit. ever since all my doctors have been telling me that i should admit myself into hospital, since they cant section me. so everyones telling me to go in to hospital, but first thing i don't feel like i want to go into the hospital, but i do know that the way i have been is even starting to scare me. but then theres things like if i go into hospital my birthday is next week and i don't want to be in hospital for my birthday.
basically there are a lot of things for and against me admitting myself.
and was just wondering peoples opinions, like what they would do if they were in my position.

Re: need help making a big choice

Well, if the doctors are worried enough to give you such advice, perhaps it is a good idea. I know that being in a hospital on your birthday is no fun, but if you are in a bad state perhaps a birthday elsewhere might not be much better.

i would go, steven, for two reasons:

1. your doctors are advising it (and they don't take this kind of thing lightly!)
2. you said
i do know that the way i have been is even starting to scare me.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Have you been to the same hospital there before? If not, they may let you go by and take a look before "signing in." They may only keep you a few days, anyway, depending on the dr. and your condition. Some patients may be there for less than 24-48 hours.

sunset

Your health comes first. After you get help, you can still celebrate your birthday. Dosent have to be on the "day", and I get that its not a fun option to spend your bday in the hospital.
Most important is that you are healthy and happy and getting the help you need is a good gift to give yourself.

ThatLady

Steven, let's look at this logically. You have a birthday every year. You only have one life. I realize that's pretty simplistic, but it's true.

You say you overdosed on Sudafed because you wanted to lose weight. Did you think you were going to lose that weight immediately if you took too much Sudafed? I think you've got to realize that doesn't make much sense. There was more to the overdose than the desire to lose weight.

If I were you, I'd admit myself to hospital. You need to get treatment and you need to do it now. This is an opportunity, and missed opportunities are often the cause of a great deal of misery. Besides, being in the hospital on one's birthday isn't usually all THAT bad, if the hospital is aware it's your birthday. Most hospitals make an effort to recognize the birthdays of their patients. Do this for yourself, Steven, and for those who care for you.

Steven_v

ok ive just come back from an appoint with my doctor and said no i dont want to go in. now on returninghome iam have secound thoughts, espicial since the first thing i did went i got home was to take aload of Edit: deleted reference to specific pills . iam ive got atloat of questions. do i really need. will all the hasle be to much for my parents. and do i think the doctors can do anything about it any way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Call your doctor immediately and tell him about the overdose. Let him make the decisions at this point.

BTW, venproxen isn't in Google, so I don't know what drug you are referring to. I guess you misspelled it.

will all the hasle be to much for my parents. and do i think the doctors can do anything about it any way.

You certainly need their help. I think you need observation/hospitalization since this is the second overdose in a short period of time.

Halo

I agree with Daniel that calling your doctor and telling him about the pills that you have taken and that you are having second thoughts about your decision. It really sounds like you need to be somewhere safe and if that means being in the hospital then do whatever you need to in order to achieve that.

Take care

sunset

Ditto to what Daniel and Nancy have said. YOU even know you made a mistake so make the call to your Dr. No one can help you if dont let them. Please do it for yourself, ok?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The priority now is just staying safe, e.g. not overdosing. So if you can feel safe with your family until tomorrow, then I would just call your doctor tomorrow morning. If you feel there is a significant chance you will overdose before tomorrow morning, then I would just call the hospital directly and inquire about how you can get admitted even if you can't personally reach your doctor.

Peanut

It sounds like you've made a well thought out decision--good for you! I agree with the others, particularly with thatlady about the birthdays coming around every year. Plus, what a great birthday present to give yourself--taking steps to improve your life! Not to mention you can always celebrate your birthday when you get out...after all, it is YOUR birthday, you can celebrate it whenever you want to! Good for you though, it sounds like you have decided to help yourself and sometimes making the decision to get help is one of the hardest parts of the process.

Halo

Keep trying Steven because I am sure that another one will become available....just keep hanging on and trying.

Take care

Steven_v

well they havent called back and its past the time the shut down for today so... i guess its my fault anyway for not making my mind up sooner. saying that iam still not a 100% sure i want to go in

Peanut

Don't beat yourself up over this Steven. Sometimes it takes time to make a big decision. Sooner or later beds will open up, just try to be patient. Think about how your birthday is coming up--that's fun, right?! Does that make you a Gemini? Everything will be alright, try not to worry so much even though it's hard. Hang in there. :heart:

NightOwl

Steven - I went to hospital for help. I didn't really want to at the time, but now I'm glad I did and I can only advice you to go ahead and if you get the chance, get a bed in the hospital. Please don't be frightened.

It can seem daunting, but it isn't and if you need any help or advice from an ex-patient's point of view, I'm here on and off most of the time as I am studying a psychology course, but don't rely on my psychology experience, I'm only just starting on it.

I can send you plenty of hugs any time you need them. Stay on the board chatting to everyone here. We're all here for you.

Take care. :heart:

NightOwl

sunset

Steven, keep on trying.. NO one wants to go to the hospital, but sometimes its necessary. Let us know how you are doing, ok? :hug:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.