More threads by Dan11

Dan11

Hi my names Dan and i'm 18 years old. I have been homebound for the past 2 years except to go out to GP appointments and a doctor for my ulcerative colitis condition. Last month my GP diagnosed me with depression and social anxiety and gave me Wellbrutrin XL 150MG (Bupropion HCL XL 150mg). But as of recently I read alot about Body Dysmorphic Disorder and this is exactly how I've been feeling. I compulsively touch the skin on my face to check for disfigurements, I ask my family if my skin is pale/ acne, hair, height, weight, etc. is okay and i think about suicide almost daily. They say there is nothing wrong with me but i deeply believe that there is. I have seen a therapist at CHEO, (Childrens Hospital of Eastern Ontario) when I was 17 and he just said it was social anxiety and that it was just a phase.

Basically my question is how do I go about finding help for this condition in Ottawa? I tried phoning the mental health hospital but they said I had to go through a crisis line at another hospital and see a doctor to diagnose me, then make an appointment to see them. I find this very difficult as I have problems with public transportation. The only way it seems I can get help is if I actually attempt to commit suicide but I really don't want to do something like that. I would be very happy to hear any ideas. Thankyou.

ladylore

Account Closed
Hey Dan,
Welcome to Psychlinks. :welcome2:

I have had depression and anxiety off and on myself so I empathize. Since you are an adult now have you talked with your doctor about therapy. Your doctor may be able to give you a referral.

At the top right hand side of the screen there is a link for support groups that you may want to check out. Personally, I live in BC but the support group link does provide resources right there in Ottawa.

To go out to see your doctor - could you bring someone you trust with you for support? I definitely glad you found us.

braveheart

Hi Dan, welcome. :)

Insecurity is more than a 'phase'. It bites to the very core of who we are.

I live in the UK, so I can't answer your question re treatment, but there're others here who can.

Dan11

Hey thankyou both for the quick reply's I'm going to check out the online support groups. As for a trusted one to get me to these appointments; I have a mom who suffers from OCD and has an even more difficult time getting out than I do, and my dad is currently in Thailand untill Feb. 19. Recently I've been feeling extremely hopeless and constantly looking from mirror to mirror and oversleeping. The medication I am on has so far made me feel more depressed than before.

ladylore

Account Closed
Hey thankyou both for the quick reply's I'm going to check out the online support groups. As for a trusted one to get me to these appointments; I have a mom who suffers from OCD and has an even more difficult time getting out than I do, and my dad is currently in Thailand untill Feb. 19. Recently I've been feeling extremely hopeless and constantly looking from mirror to mirror and oversleeping. The medication I am on has so far made me feel more depressed than before.

You may want to give your doctor a call regarding your medication. It would be good to talk with him about the depression so your medication can be changed if needed.

There is plenty to read here Dan - check out the "Sticky's" in some of the sections like self-image, positive pyschology and the exercise sections. There is quite a bit here that may come in handy.

Take care
Ladylore

Dan11

I had severe acne at the age of 13-15 and went on a treatment called Accutane which cleared it right up. But I still compulsively touch my face to check and look in the mirrors for more than 2 hours a day. Also I have scars on my stomach from surgery I've had done for my Ulcerative Colitis which i am pretty self conscious of.

I can see signs of this disorder since I was around 10 years old but I have just heard of it a week ago and began panicking because it feels like such a huge step to get help which can take mounths if not years to get.

ladylore

Account Closed
Sounds like you are doing all the right things - reaching out is a huge step. Sometimes when I have done somthing that I know is important and right for me - the panic sets in. Just breath through it and take one step at a time.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.