More threads by dona

dona

I need some advice about someone who has ocd, namely hypochondria. He is on Zoloft. I know that meds don't "cure", they only mask the symptoms, but others still come through. What is happening that is perplexing me beyond life itself, is that he will make plans, only to break them; hardly ever finish anything he starts...there is much more, but I thought I would just begin with this....any replies I appreciate more than you know...it's about to drive me crazy...thanks.

ThatLady

please...help with dating and ocd

Got a couple of questions, dona. Is this person in therapy of any kind? Is someone experienced involved in the decisions and dosing of his medications? Does he express concern about his inability to carry through with plans, or is it even something you've discussed with him? If you have discussed it, what are his thoughts on the problem?

dona

thanks.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. He was an inpatient for 2 weeks nearly 2 years ago, and then outpatient for nearly 1 1/2 years, just ending this past December. He's on Zoloft, and goes to therapy once every 3 months, at least that's what he's told me.
I haven't gotten the nerve to discuss this with him. Every time I get the nerve, something happens in which I can't discuss it with him. The last time we made any plans, and then changed his mind, he summed it up as, "I've already done these things". But it's not healthy to sit in your home all weekend and do class work and never see the light of day.
We are in school together, we are adults seeking a career change in life. He either sits near me or next to me. We see each other every day except weekends. We instant message each other on a nightly basis, and on the weekends, can last for hours. Thanks so much, your help, it seems the more I know about this, the more confusing and difficult it becomes for me....

ThatLady

Since this problem is interfering with your happiness and comfort in the relationship, it really is something that needs to be discussed between the two of you. If he's been hospitalized, and is currently in therapy, he knows he has a problem, so it's not like you're going to be saying the equivalent of: "Listen up, fellah. You have issues!" He's already aware. He needs to be made aware that his "issues" are affecting you in a negative way.

Perhaps, once he's aware and if he agrees, the two of you could talk to the therapist together about some of the problems that are impacting your relationship. It sounds like you each have a lot of stress, and talking to someone can help you develop coping mechanisms to deal with those stresses.

Good luck to you, hon. I hope the two of you can find some help to deal with these problems. If he won't see a therapist with you, consider seeing one for yourself.

dona

Hi, I am already in therapy myself, not because of this situation, but of others in my life. I do talk about this with my therapist.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.