More threads by panpan

panpan

Hi, almost a month ago I was diagnose by my doctor that I have dysthymia. He gave me sertraline (Zoloft USA & Canada; generic = sertraline) and Rivotril (Klonopin U.S.A.& Canada, generic = clonazepam). Here's what I had experience when taking those drugs. On my first week I felt very sleepy, I couldn't even surf the net for an hour. and I felt like floating, it made me felt good and very relaxed. Today, almost a month or a month past I feel kinda down, feeling unworthy, or something like that. Not in the mood of anything and loss my appettite.

Here's a brief story about me. I'm a graduate of a four year degree course and up to now I dont have a job. I did apprentices but I quit everytime I felt like I can't do it anymore. It happened 4 times. I quitted my last work coz everytime I woke up thinking of going to work makes me feel nauseated and I wanted to vomit. That's when I realize i needed to see a psychiatrist, hence he said Dysthymia.

For five years of not having a job makes me loose a lot of confidence. When compare to my friends who are very successful. I wanted to do good in my carreer, changing it is not an option either. I just don't know what to do anymore. Please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

chell

Hi There; l have Dysthymia and have been on medication for many years for it. Dysthymia is when our moods are always down and feeling generally depressed most of the time. lt never made me want to stop working, but l went through some other symptoms you have such as wanting to sleep all the time, eating more then normal (for me at least)
As far as your meds go, you really need to see a Dr. for that because it sounds like the meds are not working for you at all and you need to switch to something else and working with your Dr. just as l did, you will be able to come up with a new cocktail. Good Luck to you, Chell

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
. I'm a graduate of a four year degree course and up to now I dont have a job. I did apprentices but I quit everytime I felt like I can't do it anymore. It happened 4 times. I quitted my last work coz everytime I woke up thinking of going to work makes me feel nauseated and I wanted to vomit.
In addition to the medications, therapy can help build your confidence and help treat your dysthymia. There is also the book Feeling Good by David Burns. It's still one of the most popular books on cognitive behavior therapy, and the book is available at many public libraries.

One way people ease their way back into employment is a volunteer job, and these jobs are sometimes only a few hours a month. Alternatively, a temp agency may be able to find you a temporary paid part-time job. Depending on where you live, there may also be a non-profit job agency that helps people with mental disorders.

When compare to my friends who are very successful.
Yes, everybody asks themselves: "How am I doing for my age?" But a lot of people tend to do many more upward comparisons than downward comparisons. So, for example, you may discount that you already have a college degree -- which is something a lot of people don't have.

Similarly: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/coping-s...skills-dont-compare-yourself-with-others.html

Retired

Have you had any follow up visit with your doctor to report how you are feeling and what if any relief from symptoms you heve noticed since beginning your medications?

As you may know, sertraline requires six or more weeks to reset brain neurotransmitter activity before any noticeable effect in symptom relief is noticed.

Your doctor may want to adjust the dosage of one or both of your medications or even consider changing the compound if your side effects are bothersome, but you need to communicate this information with the prescribing physician.

What arrangement do you have for reporting back to your doctor?

panpan

Hi, thank u for ur replies, well today I kinda feel active, the opposite feeling of what i felt when I started the thread. My doctor told me that I will experience some side effects and that I will feel active in a month but that doesnt mean I have to stop the medication.

What arrangement do you have for reporting back to your doctor?

Well I dont have a schedule yet for my third follow up coz the doctor is out town. :fool:

Yes, everybody asks themselves: "How am I doing for my age?" But a lot of people tend to do many more upward comparisons than downward comparisons. So, for example, you may discount that you already have a college degree -- which is something a lot of people don't have. - Daniel

My father always told me that. :(

Retired

I dont have a schedule yet for my third follow up coz the doctor is out town

Even if the doctor is away, if there is a secretary or other person administering the doctor's scheduling of appointments, it is always a good idea to plan ahead and make the next appointment as soon as possible so you have peace of mind in knowing the target date of your next session. By making these arrangements in advance, you help yourself by removing any potential for anxiety caused by wondering when your next session might take place.

(when)....I will feel active in a month but that doesnt mean I have to stop the medication.

Exactly. This type of medication needs to be taken sometimes long after your symptoms appear to have gone away. The medication is thought to work by resetting the balance of brain chemicals believed to be responsible for mood disorders, and that process of resetting can take months and sometimes years. Your doctor will help advise you of when and if you medications need to be modified. In the meantime, your medications should be taken according to your doctor's instructions.

chell

My Doctor is going to be away for 12 months and she is making sure all the prescriptions have enough renewals on them, all bloodwork is done so she has results before she goes, all psychiatric patients are seen about their medications and she has a Dr. that is taking on her patients while she is gone. l am sure with the drug cocktail l have been on for over a year now, l feel back to my old self and l can go the 12 months without seeing the other Dr., but she is there if l have to go. lt is just knowing she is there that is good.
Maybe if you can ask your Dr. for another Dr.s name who might be taking on the Dr.s' patients or is willing to, especially because of your anxiety and possible side effects of the medication. l wish you the best of luck, Chell

panpan

thank you chell, i'm gonna do that :eek:

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Well I would like to add something about me, I'm an artist by nature, I do paintings since my childhood, and now I'm on digital art.. anyone needs graphics like personal ecard, wallpapers, personal graphic text, etc. u can PM me. :geek: well of course its not for free. ::dance2: hehe

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.