More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 11.01.19 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 11.09.29 AM.jpg

"...to address dysfunctional emotional beliefs, expressed as "I don't believe it's true, but I feel it's true." We hypothesize that in order to access and modify or mollify (make less salient, harsh, or destructive) a schema in treatment, the patient must become able to emotionally experience as well as to cognitively reflect upon its contents."

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Probiotics can help in regulating the human immunological system and the brain through the so-called “microbiota-gut-brain axis” (the set of hormonal, immunological, and neural connections between the brain and the gut-microbiota). A putative role of the microbiota-gut-brain axis has already been suggested for several psychiatric disorders (depression, ADHD, autism spectrum disorders, bipolar disorder, psychosis, and post-traumatic stress disorder)....

Interestingly, a recent Canadian study was the first to show that adult OCD patients have less richness/evenness of gut microbiota compared to control...According to our research on clinicaltrials.gov (mid-September 2020), there is an ongoing trial on the probiotic formula Lactobacillus Helveticus and Bifidobacterium Longum (two probiotic agents that showed anxiolytic properties on human studies).

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Who am I without OCD?
If I didn’t suffer with it, would I still be me?

OCD is horrible and takes control of me,
but I’ve lived with it for so long,
I feel like it’s part of me.

I often feel angry and question why me?
Why do I have to suffer from OCD?

But I’m starting to realise that I am me,
and never have been nor will be my OCD.
It’s separate from who I am,
and does not determine me.

I have beliefs and traits that make me one of a kind,
I am not determined by the mental illness in my mind.

Please remember your OCD is not a permanent part of you or who you will become,
you’re not your mental illness,
you are someone.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Teaching patients to change their relationship to their obsessive thoughts by decentering from them—as opposed to trying to modify the frequency or content of the thoughts—is an interventional technique that is more likely to promote acceptance and nonjudgment than traditional CBT with ERP. Previous investigations have successfully used such a technique to help those with OCD symptoms (Twohig et al. 2006; Wilkinson-Tough et al. 2010).

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Obsession is when we spend so much of our energy blocking out other needs that we can no longer function. Our attention tends to be captured by events around us. Though we focus on one thing there are parts of us ‘keeping an ear out’ for other things. The most common example is hearing our name at a party. A more serious example is our becoming rapidly aware of a danger that we hadn’t noticed when driving.

This kind of exclusion of everything else is a kind of ‘trance’. Therapeutic hypnosis uses this kind of state. So perhaps being obsessed for a brief time can be therapeutic.

It seems to me that while we may not be able to come up with hard and fast rules to distinguish a focus from an obsession, we can probably formulate some signs to look for. It seems to me that there are at least three:
  1. Does what I’m doing get in the way of what I am hoping to achieve? If so: am I willing to stop doing it? If not, why not?

2. Do I spend a lot of my energy fighting off distractions to what I want to do? Is it taking me so much time and energy to persist that I am exhausted and neglecting other needs?

3. Do I, in some way, feel or believe that if I get or do this one thing then everything will be OK? (This may be true depending on the situation and what it is, but I think it’s useful to question it.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Higher need of approval was the most important predictor of OCD diagnosis beyond the other attachment facets, and even of the obsessive beliefs.

The interpersonal dynamics related to attachment in OCD patients should be carefully considered during assessment and treatment of OCD patients in clinical practice.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Although treatment rarely cures the patient with OCD, significant symptomatic relief is achievable. Reasonable goals for treatment would be to spend less than 1 hour per day on obsessive-compulsive behaviors, causing minimal interference with daily activities...

Because OCD is a chronic condition with a high rate of relapse, treatment should be discontinued only with caution. Patients with OCD should be carefully monitored to detect possible comorbid depression and suicidal ideation...

Before attempting discontinuation of SSRIs, patients should take these drugs for at least 1 to 2 years...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

People diagnosed with OCD appear to have a more malleable “sense of self,” or brain-based “self-representation” or “body image”—the feeling of being anchored here and now in one’s body—than those without the disorder. This finding suggests new ways to treat OCD and perhaps unexpected insights into how our brain creates a distinction between “self” and “other.”

OCD is a perplexing condition that blurs the boundary between mind and body, reality and illusion. One may have to fool the brain to overcome the condition—combating one illusion with another.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

According to inference-based therapy, obsessional thinking occurs when the person replaces reality and real probabilities with imagined possibilities...Individuals with obsessive-compulsive disorder attempt to resolve the doubt by modifying reality (via compulsions and neutralizations) which merely increase the imaginary pathological doubt rather than resolve it since reality is not the problem...

The goal of inference-based therapy is to reorient clients towards trusting the senses and relating to reality in a normal, non-effortful way. Differences between normal and obsessional doubts are presented, and clients are encouraged to use their senses and reasoning as they do in non-obsessive-compulsive disorder situations. The exact moment where client cross over from reality to a possibility is identified, and clients are invited to go back to reality, use their senses, and tolerate the void of trusting the senses rather than enacting compulsive behaviors.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Likelihood thought–action fusion (TAF-L) refers to a cognitive bias in which individuals believe that the mere thought of a negative event increases its likelihood of occurring in reality...

The precuneus has been implicated in risk avoidance...and has been found to activate when participants focus on their duties and obligations rather than hopes and aspirations (Johnson et al., 2006). Further, Johnson et al. (2006) found that participants' duties and obligations had a greater number of references to other people than their hopes and aspirations, supporting a link responsibility to prevent harm coming to others rather than oneself. Perhaps the most compelling support for the role of the precuneus in TAF comes from the recent studies...They found that in an other-vs-self comparison, greater precuneus and posterior cingulate activity was present when participants imagined being the cause of harm to another person. Similarly, Cabanis et al. (2012) found precuneus activation related to the process of attributing causes to the self.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Our results suggest that visual association areas may play a primary role in the TAF [thought-action fusion] response. The simple belief and visual imagery that one’s thought may lead to someone’s injury activated visual association areas where brain activity, in turn, is associated with feelings of guilt. We believe these results provide biological clues about TAF and subsequent affective response such as guilt.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Inferential Confusion Questionnaire—Expanded Version​

10862_2009_9157_Figa_HTML.gif

page2.jpg

Attachments

• Inferential Confusion Questionnaire - Expanded.pdf
    76.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

The inference-based approach (IBA) was developed with the central notion that obsessions can be held at varying levels degrees of belief and realism by the patient with OCD.

In particular, if obsessions are held to be highly valid and realistic then these obsessions often resemble overvalued ideation or delusional-like beliefs.

The treatment target of IBA is the initial obsessional doubt or belief rather than its appraisal.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

There are three processes that make uncertainty feel so intolerable: anxious thinking distorts risk assessment; paradoxical effort makes attempts to eliminate uncertainty work backwards; and negative reinforcement drives the cycle.

It may not be obvious, but certainty is a feeling, not a fact. If you think about it, no one can be absolutely sure about anything. Here is an illustration: Does your car have a flat tire right now? How can you be certain? How long since you checked? Could something have happened since then? Actually, you only feel sure of your answer.

The key is that unproductive reassurance-seeking is an attempt to feel sure, to abolish all doubts, to establish certainty as a fact. Yet absolute certainty is unattainable and unnecessary to make decisions, evaluate choices, and take actions. Anxious people can get caught up in doubts about anything, including one’s own motives, identity, health, and sanity (as well as those of others). There are no guarantees possible about the future. Refraining from needless reassurance is easier when there is a shift in attitude, a willingness to feel uncertainty, and the acceptance of doubt and its discomforts...

In Needing to Know for Sure, we introduce a four-step program for breaking out of this trap and learning to tolerate reasonable uncertainty in your life. The four mindful steps are: 1) Distinguish doubts or distress from true danger; 2) Embrace the feeling of uncertainty; 3) Avoid reassurance; and 4) Float above the feeling while letting more time pass. You can remember these steps as DEAF, and these steps work independently of the content of your worrisome, doubting thoughts.

People can learn to become DEAF to the beckoning of a reassurance trap and the anxiety-producing bullies in their mind. They can turn a DEAF ear to the false alarm signals that are crying, “Emergency! You need to check this out right now!” It can teach your brain that thoughts are just thoughts, and that doubt is part of every decision and judgment you make, and is both inevitable and unavoidable.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Despite many people thinking that being too easy on themselves will lead to them straying from their goals, extensive research shows that it is self-compassion, not self-criticism, that is the best motivator...

People who tend to be self-critical...have a higher tendency to shut down or inhibit themselves from taking steps forward.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Feelings of guilt increased with increasing intensity of reassurance seeking.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

In Outpatient Morita Therapy, emotions are "universalized" as anxiety while desires are acknowledged as being part of human nature. Through the process of exerting desire for life, acceptance of anxiety is facilitated.

In ACT, values are discussed formally to find several specific areas of valued behaviors. Outpatient Morita Therapy, in contrast, aims to abandon the focus on values while targeting the desire for life to be nurtured and exerted.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.