More threads by Murray

Murray

Hi Everyone,
I am not sure if I am asking this question in the right place...so, sorry if it's wrong.

I am just hoping that someone could explain cognitive dissonance to me. My therapist has mentioned it to me a few times and although I sort of understand the concept, I think that I am missing something. For example my therapist has said that when my mother would give me the "silent treatment" for no reason that this made me feel cognitive dissonance and also he has mentioned that this is something that I can't tolerate at all. He has brought it up other times as well, in relation to other things, but I guess I am just not really sure I get it. I did a search of the threads on this topic and am still unsure.

Sorry to bug you guys, but I am feeling pretty stupid and am afraid to ask him to clarify. At least here the anonymity helps with the embarrassment...sort of.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Re: question about cognitive dissonance

Hi Everyone,
I am not sure if I am asking this question in the right place...so, sorry if it's wrong.

It's ok Murray. If a question is posted in an incorrect forum etc, us moderators or administrators will fix it, no worries :support:

Sorry to bug you guys,

No need to be sorry Murray. We are here to help if we can, so it is never bugging us :support:

but I am feeling pretty stupid and am afraid to ask him to clarify. At least here the anonymity helps with the embarrassment...sort of.

Therapists/Psychologists/Psychiatrists and most GP's don't tend to judge when we ask questions to clairify.

I know for me, I have a lot of confusion at times and my doctors are aware of this. So when I ask for clairification, they never think I am "stupid" they just know I am having a rough time understanding things.

Always feel free to ask us and maybe this will help you gain confidence and courage to ask your therapist questions as well. :support:

Murray

Thanks so much for the responses. You guys are so nice and supportive here. I think it is making a bit more sense to me. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.