• Quote of the Day
    "Don't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do."
    John Wooden, posted by David Baxter
Hi everybody.I am past frequent vistor to this site but latley i havent been able so i have now decied to come back.Well as me frist question to ask everyone since i have left i am wondering if you as a past self injurer will always consider yourself a self injurer.I mean me persoinally i belive in my eyes i will always be a self injurer even though i havent done it in almost a year.I belive it is something i have come through with a better view on life with and i belive it has made me a stronger person overall....But i know i will always have thoes demons in the back of my head telling me that i am not doing the right thing.and i can live with that.or at least i have been.Well thank you and i would love to hear you opion on this.

Halo

Re: Coming Back With a Question For outhers who have si

Hi SecretPixie and welcome back :)

First of all I would like to say a huge congratulations is in order to you for not self injuring for almost a year. That is a huge accomplishment which you must be really proud of. I am glad to see that you feel that it has made you a stronger person overall and that you have come through it with a better view on life. I am sure that you are truly an inspiration to a lot of people.

As for the question of whether someone will always consider themselves a self injurer or not, I am not sure if I can answer that with certainty as I have never been free from self injuring and until that would happen I don't know for sure what I would consider myself. Although I hope that when the day comes that I no longer self injure that I consider myself a survivor.

Take care

I stopped for a long time, a little more than nine years and went back to it and have been struggling for the last few years so I see what you're saying. It might always be a struggle for me. Someone else might be able to stop and never look back.

When I was not doing it those nine years I was struggling with anorexia/bulimia which I still do so that kind of took the place of the self injury.

I think it's important to just try to take one day at a time and if you slip up, go easy on yourself and get up and keep going. Easy to say, hard to do I know.

braveheart

I just started again after just about a year. Not 'severe'/'serious', it never has been so, and is more controlled now than it was a year ago, but enough to feel I can cope with overwhelming feelings. But I also have anorexic tendencies, which has always been ongoing, and I understand that that is a form of self harm, and unhealthy control, also.
To answer your question, I wouldn't always see myself as a self injurer, even though I am a supporter on a forum for young self injurers. Rather, I see myself as someone who has been traumatised, and suffers depression and difficulties regulating her feelings because of that.

Cavi

Mine goes in cycles...I started when I was 8 years old...stopped for 6 years...Started again and than stopped for 10 years...so on, so on...
It had been 3 years since I had SI'd when I started this last time...Mine starts out minor, than goes major...I have figured out that it gets to the worst point when I feel abandoned...BTW I'll soon be 45......RIMH

Banned

Banned
I haven't SId in over a year now (14 months) but it's always in the back of my mind as an option, so I would probably say that I will always consider myself an SIer, but it may end up being cyclical. I have no idea what the future will hold.

wi11ow

Me too- it's always there regardless of how long since the last time. Like suicide, thinking SI especially when people leave my life or I feel like I'm being rejected in some way, lingers in my thoughts and I'm always just one step away from a blade or flame.

Latest posts

Top Bottom