More threads by Daniel E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: Quotable Quotes 12

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

- Anthony J. D'Angelo

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“Oh, I’ve had such a curious dream!” said Alice, and she told her sister, as well as she could remember them, all these strange Adventures of hers that you have just been reading about; and when she had finished, her sister kissed her, and said “It was a curious dream, dear, certainly: but now run in to your tea; it’s getting late.”
So Alice got up and ran off, thinking while she ran, as well she might, what a wonderful dream it had been.

-- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I'm not sure Gretzky actually said that. I thought it was an NBA star.
Kristaps Porzingis upsets hockey fans by misattributing famous Gretzky quote - Article - Bardown

Gretzky has in the past said that his father was the one to say the quote to him, but the first public time it was quoted was that Gretzky interview with Bob McKenzie.

Well, now, someone has totally failed to attribute Gretzky altogether.

New York Knicks star Kristaps Porzingis made the regrettable mistake of crediting Kobe Bryant for the quote, and now everyone on the internet (Especially the hockey crowd) is all over him with jokes and criticism...

GaryQ

MVP

I'm not sure Gretzky actually said that. I thought it was an NBA star.

Such ignorance is only excused for Non Canadian residents that have never heard about Internet search engines!
Being born a “Brit” does not qualify as a valid excuse! :panic:

Shame on you Dr. B. ;)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

It is hard to be happy without a life worth living. This is a fundamental tenet of DBT. Of course, all lives are worth living in reality. No life is not worth living. But what is important is that you experience your life as worth living—one that is satisfying, and one that brings happiness.

- Marsha Linehan

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“To be a good human is to have a kind of openness to the world, an ability to trust uncertain things beyond your own control, that can lead you to be shattered in very extreme circumstances for which you were not to blame. That says something very important about the ethical life: that it is based on a trust in the uncertainty, and on a willingness to be exposed. It's based on being more like a plant than a jewel: something rather fragile, but whose very particular beauty is inseparable from that fragility.”

― Martha Nussbaum

GaryQ

MVP

Since we have come across the debate lately concerning a famous Wayne Gretsky quote being mistakenly attributed to someone else it seems like this is not as uncommon as we may think. Social history seems to remember the last famous person who publically said something without any proof checking as to who originally coined the famous quote.

When I was looking up the exact phrasing of the quote "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits" Commonly attributed to Albert Einstein I stumbled on a website call: Quote Investigator (https://quoteinvestigator.com/)

It's seems like a good reference for checking if a quote was originally coined by the person we assume it was (but not an exhaustive ressource). I saved it in my favorites.

GaryQ

MVP

That site doesn't even have the Gretzky quote though.

Maybe because almost everyone knows it was him that publicly said it first and some actually know that it was actually Walter (his dad) that said it to him. ;)

In all seriousness I did add the comment/disclaimer:

(but not an exhaustive resource)

Intentionally thinking it would avoid/prevent getting this kind of comment... how silly of me to think so :facepalm:

GaryQ

MVP

Ok I'll be a good sport like when my kids were growing up and let you win even if I wrote "almost everyone" ;)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

While we are on the subject:

"One day, you might look up and see me playing the game at 50. Don't laugh. Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion."

"Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise."

-- Michael Jordan

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.

~ William James

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

“That's the reason they're called lessons...because they lessen from day to day.”

-- Lewis Caroll

Status
Not open for further replies.