More threads by Superiority Tails

Regardless of whether you decide to take the medication or not, I hope you keep posting, ST.

Also, I'm not a mental health professional, but thought I'd mention that depression has absolutely been a progressive (and fatal) illness in my family. My sister ended up taking her life, my mom's depression grew to psychosis (both refused to go on medication or seek any significant professional help). I believe that the only difference between me and them is that I have made different choices about the way I deal with my depression. That's the opportunity that I've been given...the opportunity to make different choices and therefore create different outcomes.

It's not easy though. Depression can be very seductive and decieving.

I'm glad you're posting and asking these questions.

just mary

I agree with HB, you've posted some very good questions. Very straightforward and to the point.

Thanks for posting ST, it's good to hear from you. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Take care,

jm

Psychosis is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state in which thought and perception are severely impaired. Persons experiencing a psychotic episode may experience hallucinations, hold delusional beliefs (e.g., grandiose or paranoid delusions), demonstrate personality changes and exhibit disorganized thinking (see thought disorder). This is often accompanied by lack of insight into the unusual or bizarre nature of such behavior, difficulties with social interaction and impairments in carrying out the activities of daily living. A psychotic episode is often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality".

I'm sorry about your family healthbound. I hope I don't end up dieing as well.
Thanks, ST. I hope I don't end up dieing either. Ultimately, I want to live and I want to move through the deceptions depression :).

ThatLady

If I remember correctly, "thought blocking" is when you completely lose your train of thought while talking or writing, and cannot reestablish it. It happens to everyone once in awhile; particularly, if one is distracted. However, when it happens constantly it can be a sign of a problem.

ThatLady

Losing one's train of thought isn't the same thing as losing one's "mind". As I said, it happens to everyone at one time or another. It's when it's a constant occurrance that it may indicate more deeply seated problems.

Depression needs to be treated. Personally, I don't like the inferrence of the phrase "losing one's mind". One might have a chemical imbalance that results in depression, or some other malady connected with neurotransmitters, but their mind is still there, where it always was. They're just unable to use it properly because the chemicals that make it work correctly aren't doing their jobs in the right way.

Halo

For me personally I do not lose my ability to talk and socialize with people but it does distort my perception of myself and my thoughts that I have in my head. I also tend to withdraw from people and not socialize as much but I do not lose the ability to talk and socialize if I wanted to.

Halo

For some people it does make them withdraw from others. I know for me personally that is how I know that I am feeling more depressed than normal is when I start to withdraw from family and friends.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.