More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Questions and compliments are the primary tools of the solution-focused approach. SF therapists and counselors deliberately refrain from making interpretations and rarely confront their clients. Instead, they focus on identifying the client's goals, generating a detailed description of what life will be like when the goal is accomplished and the problem is either gone or coped with satisfactorily. In order to develop effective solutions, they search diligently through the client's life experiences for "exceptions", e.g. times when some aspect of the client's goal was already happening to some degree, utilizing these to co-construct uniquely appropriate and effective solutions."

~ Wikipedia

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“If I accept the other person as something fixed, already diagnosed and classified, already shaped by his past, then I am doing my part to confirm this limited hypothesis. If I accept him as a process of becoming, then I am doing what I can to confirm or make real his potentialities.”

~ Carl Rogers

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Solution Focus has no theory of person, no picture of the person, fully functioning or otherwise. All that interests us is talking with the client in such a way that the client reports to us that they have made sufficient progress."

~ Evan George

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Change your sensory channel. Switch between your visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, and gustatory senses. Notice which one you are using the most in the problem situation and change to another one. Or focus on something else within the same sensory channel.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
problem focused.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Too many people ask nothing but “Why” questions. They analyze and analyse problems - but no solution. “you can analyse a glass of water and you’re left with a lot of chemical components, but nothing you can drink”.

“Why?” questions can drive us crazy. “What?” questions drive us sane.
What questions lead us to practical solutions.

― Peter McWilliams

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Most therapists approach clients from the perspective of creating change. They would benefit themselves greatly if they would approach clients from the perspective of not creating resistance and let change occur as a natural result of the client exploring his or her own world.”

~ Clifton Mitchell, PhD

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

New SF practitioners may fool themselves into thinking that their client’s problem talk should be avoided. On the contrary, it can be within the problem talk that we are able to listen and select what clients want. This process can solidify the therapeutic relationship through joining while also honoring the change process, noticing a shift.

Another misunderstanding about SFBT is the assumption that SF language is problem solving. Understandably so. Solution focused therapy, however, is deliberate and persistent co-constructive conversations about what the clients want because of therapy, despite their presenting concern. To clarify, it is not ignoring the problem, it is coming back to it in a way that shifts our relationship with our own agency to do something different.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Advanced Techniques for Solution-Focused Counseling :acrobat:

The client is told and asked, “The situation is very volatile. Between now and the next time, attempt to think about why the situation is not worse.”

Rationale: This task is given if the client is in severe crisis.

Attachments

• advanced_techniques_for_sfc_(guterman).pdf
    141 KB · Views: 3
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.