More threads by boi

boi

I have been so stressed out lately and anxious. I've gone back to school after quite a few years and all I feel is anxious. I know going back to school is such a stressful event. I just keep asking myself of I made the right choice etc...I am not 19 years old anymore and I am obsessing about my age and I know all this is negative and I am trying so hard to think that everything will be ok but I cant shake this anxiety. It has to pass eventually but everytime I think of my classes I have this feeling in my gut. I feel like all my therapy is going down the drain. I should be practising positive thoughts right now and feel better about myself. All I am is scared and worried

ladylore

Account Closed
Re: soooo stressed out

Hey Boi,

Kudos for going back to school. :cool2:

I have known many people who have gone back to school in later years. Anxiety is common. Feeling nervous about doing well, measuring up..... Do you know anyone else in your age group that have also gone back to school? It could help to connect with those people - more support.

What your feeling is normal. And your therapy isn't going down the tubes. :support:

You may want to try to take assignment/test at a time. Chunk out your work load in managable pieces. Your human - all you can do is your best. That doesn't mean you need to be perfect or get 100% on all your assignments.

You can do it.

:2thumbs:

boi

thanks ladylore,

you are right, all I can do is my best. I think thats what Im strugging with. I am worried about my grades and if I can handle art school. Am I good enough? I have to keep saying to myself that I will take it step by step. Do the best I can and whatever happens. I think I also just decided that I wont take on too much even though it might take me another year of school. I'd rather not be stressed out about it.
I guess talking about it helps. I hope the stress goes away soon

ladylore

Account Closed

Have classes started yet. I'm thinking once you get into the swing of things so to speak you won't feel so anxious. Its an unknown right now.

boi

classes started today. I am thinking the same its because its the unknown now. the anxiety should subside. I hope it does. I hope this doesnt last for a really long time.

boi

thanks ladylore
i really love this board.
:)

sorry for continuing this thread...I just realized that one of the reasons I am really anxious is because of the expectations I have of myself. I need to get good grades in my courses or I wont be able to apply to further education later and if that happens what would I do? My artwork will be critiqued and I am terrified. Do I just do what I think is right or what the teacher wants? what happens if its wrong? It seems like I have lost all confidence in myself.
How do I change this thought pattern?

Last edited:
i think, correct me if i am wrong, that art is all about doing what you think, not what someone else thinks. obviously you can learn a lot from your teacher but i think it would be about taking what you are learning and making it your own.

i don't think art can be wrong. it's such a subjective thing.

with regards to not getting good grades, worst case you can redo a course :) not that that would be great, it would take more time, but the thing is, you always have another chance.

ladylore

Account Closed
Hey Boi,
Keep the thread going for as long as you need to. No worries about that.

My immediate thoughts regarding your post is as follows: The point of school is of course to learn and it is fortunately/unfortunately to do the tasks the way the teacher wants it done. I would say a bit of both. Do your own thing and be creative but within the guidelines of what the professor wants to see. You do need to incorporate what the teacher wants in order to get a good grade. So if your unclear ask what must be included. And you will come to know what each instructor wants within time.

To change your thought patterns; its ok to feel anxious because its new. You will do the best you can do. Notice your thoughts and then say to yourself or write down the actual truth of the matter. For instance "Im stupid" can be turned into to "I got 70% on a test and lets see how I can better my grade. If necessary, I can even get a tutor."

Hope some of this helps. :)

boi

i think, correct me if i am wrong, that art is all about doing what you think, not what someone else thinks. obviously you can learn a lot from your teacher but i think it would be about taking what you are learning and making it your own.

i don't think art can be wrong. it's such a subjective thing.

with regards to not getting good grades, worst case you can redo a course :) not that that would be great, it would take more time, but the thing is, you always have another chance.

Yeah I guess that would be an option but I would really not want to ever do that. I know art is so subjective but I guess I am worried about not understanding the instructions. But then I think that we will be working on it in class so I could ask the teacher. thats when I am logical about the situation. When I worry everything goes to hell.

My immediate thoughts regarding your post is as follows: The point of school is of course to learn and it is fortunately/unfortunately to do the tasks the way the teacher wants it done. I would say a bit of both. Do your own thing and be creative but within the guidelines of what the professor wants to see. You do need to incorporate what the teacher wants in order to get a good grade. So if your unclear ask what must be included. And you will come to know what each instructor wants within time.

To change your thought patterns; its ok to feel anxious because its new. You will do the best you can do. Notice your thoughts and then say to yourself or write down the actual truth of the matter. For instance "Im stupid" can be turned into to "I got 70% on a test and lets see how I can better my grade. If necessary, I can even get a tutor."

Hope some of this helps. :)

Thats what I need to do. Have more confidence in myself that I am understanding the instructions properly. That has always been my flaw, I feel like I dont understand what the teacher is asking of me. I second guess myself alot. I will ask the instructor if I have issues with the instructions. Ill start the project early so I have time to re-do if I muck it up.
I will try writing my thoughts down and then changing them. Thats what I do in therapy so I should start practising on my own.
thanks

Last edited:
good luck boi, i am sure you'll do fine, even though you are worrying about it. good idea to start the assignments early, and i am sure you can go and get feedback from your teacher in the process as well. try not to think ahead too much, just take it one assignment at a time. it's really easy to get overwhelmed when you start to think of everything you have to accomplish over the course of a year.

Boi if it were me I would ask if your unclear the teacher what is it exactly you want me to do. Then you tell her/him what you are thinking of doing is that what she/he is expecting from you or do I have it all wrong?

I am guessing at what people want if I am unclear and sometimes afraid to ask for clarification. I am still like that now. It's like they think I should know that but I don't because of my learning problems.

So If unsure ask question at the start of the assignment then you will know exactly what you are suppose to do.

Sue

boi

Boi if it were me I would ask if your unclear the teacher what is it exactly you want me to do. Then you tell her/him what you are thinking of doing is that what she/he is expecting from you or do I have it all wrong?

I am guessing at what people want if I am unclear and sometimes afraid to ask for clarification. I am still like that now. It's like they think I should know that but I don't because of my learning problems.

So If unsure ask question at the start of the assignment then you will know exactly what you are suppose to do.

Sue

thanks Sue,
I always seem to think of things after I leave the class. This time though I have time to ask next class. I guess as well, I think I might be expected to understand and then probably feel stupid asking for more clarification. Either way, I will take my painting in next class and the teacher will see exactly what Im doing.

good luck boi, i am sure you'll do fine, even though you are worrying about it. good idea to start the assignments early, and i am sure you can go and get feedback from your teacher in the process as well. try not to think ahead too much, just take it one assignment at a time. it's really easy to get overwhelmed when you start to think of everything you have to accomplish over the course of a year.

thanks Into The Light, I will focus on one assignment at a time that will help

does anyone know if anxiety can turn into paranoid thoughts. I am starting to get really paranoid that something bad will happen to me.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.