More threads by dk

dk

I've never been diagnosed as an alcoholic, and no-one has ever remarked on my drinking, but I'm quite certain I am one. None of my attemps to cut down on or cease my drinking have succeeded for more than 3 or 4 days. I'm too ashamed to ask friends or family for help, too poor to afford private counselling, and too irreligious to be comfortable with the Christian basis of AA. In any case, I want to try to overcome my addiction on my own.

I've gleaned some helpful information and insights from other posts on this forum, such as keeping a diary (which I've tried and will continue to try) and understanding and dealing with what I'm trying to escape through drinking (anxiety and low self-esteem).

My greatest hurdles seem to be gatherings where others are drinking around me, and times of stress (frequent and difficult to avoid these days). Can anyone offer suggestions about how to cope with these situations?

Does anyone use or have opinions about the use of kudzu to help stop drinking?

Dr. Baxter, this is an incredibly useful and well organized resource, and clearly a labour of great patience and generosity. Thank you.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You don't have to be an "alcoholic" to have a problem with drinking, of course, but I agree that AA isn't for everyone.

In many communities, there are publicly funded programs for people with alcohol problems -- you might want to talk to your family doctor about what's available in your community. You could also ask him about Antabuse...

There is a toll-free number in Ontario to get information about substance abuse: Drug and Alcohol Information Line 1-800-463-6273

See also http://www.psychlinks.ca/pages/addict.htm

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.