More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“I'm not perfect... But I'm enough.”

“What is most personal is most universal.”

“The good life is a process, not a state of being. It is a direction not a destination.”

~ Carl Rogers

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there's something stronger – something better, pushing right back.”

~ Albert Camus

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Soak up the views. Take in the bad weather and the good weather. You are not the storm.”

"You can walk through a storm and feel the wind but you know you are not the wind. That is how we must be with our minds."

“Understand, for instance, that having a sad thought, even having a continual succession of sad thoughts, is not the same as being a sad person.”

~ Matt Haig

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
It's the thought that counts: belief in suicide as an escape moderates the relationship between emotion dysregulation and suicidal ideation cross-sectionally and longitudinally

While interventions might focus more exclusively on providing emotion regulation strategies to reduce the intensity and frequency of emotion dysregulation, it could prove beneficial to also use cognitive restructuring to address beliefs related to experiential avoidance and nonacceptance of emotional distress. For instance, a client who believes "I can't handle this" or "it is too much, I need to get out" might benefit from cognitive tools that illustrate previous incidents of being able to manage distress effectively without escape. This client might also benefit from mindfulness strategies that include sitting with distress and tolerating and accepting emotions without following through with urges for avoidance/escape. In this manner, when the client faces moments of emotion dysregulation in the future, they might be less likely to consider suicide as a way to escape momentary distress. Rather, such clients might more easily recall moments of being able to cope with distress (i.e., cognitive restructuring) and might use newly acquired mindfulness skills to sit with distress without avoidance or escape.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"The healing of any personal crisis of the self always begins with telling your story."

"To listen to someone else's story without judgement and resisting the urge to offer advice is the first and perhaps most important gift you can give to honour [the client's) story, to honour their pain and struggle, to honour them.‟

~ David Webb, Thinking About Suicide

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The Dynamics of Emotional Mind

The “Cycle of Suffering”- when we respond to emotional pain and life problems in destructive, emotion-driven ways, we end up with new problems and increasingly severe old problems...and we feel worse than before. If we respond to this new level of pain and problems in destructive ways, our pain and problems will continue to intensify and multiply. Because we’re not working through our pain or resolving our problems, our emotional baggage piles up. The trauma from the past weighs us down in the present and intensifies present misery.

What could have been temporary pain and problems has turned into long-term pain and suffering. The only way to get the cycle of suffering to stop...is to stop it. We can stop our suffering by stopping our destructive coping behavior. We must turn on Rational Mind to “think through before we do” and we must “follow through” with Wise Mind problem-solving and life-enhancing coping behaviors.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive.” —Dr. Howard Thurman

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"You are not alone. Many other people have gone through what you are going through and are alive today. It is okay to talk about suicide. It can help you feel better."

— World Health Organization

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"What is the smallest difference that will increase your hope?"

"What would someone who has (more) hope do in your situation?"

"What or who can give you more hope?"

“Some clients depend on others for hope, because they feel hopeless and must rely on borrowed hope—hope that others hold out for them. What are important people in your life hoping for? What are their best hopes for you?”

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"First I want to say — stop — breathe. Please listen. I’ve been there."

"Take those thoughts and emotions you have shared with others, and share them with yourself. Learn to show yourself compassion and empathy, because you deserve it too, just like they do. And when that happens, your resilience will shine through!"

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.