More threads by rdw

GDPR

GDPR
I'm usually a speed reader, but this book, Beautiful Boy, is a hard one to read. I am really struggling to get through it. Not because it's too hard to understand or anything, but because I can relate to it so much. A little too ​much.

GDPR

GDPR
I finally finished the book.I am still crying. It was THE hardest book I think I have ever read,but I also think it has taught me more than any other has.

eva

MVP
I finished obligatory readings I had to do for school, now I'm onto stuff I wanna read for myself.

I'm making some dents in F*ck It Therapy and I think after that I'll read some things from my collection of HP Lovecraft stories.

I just completed reading Manic by Terri Cheney. She's a former American entertainment lawyer who worked for high-profile individuals. She tells her story of finding out she is Bipolar II in a graphic manner. If you do not have a good handle on your illness (taking your meds working with a therapist, shrink), I would not advise reading it just yet. Even after all the years I've been Bipolar II, I was not ready for some of Ms. Cheney's story.

eva

MVP
I actually haven't gotten very far into it yet because I've been getting distracted by other life things. But so far it's pretty good. I really enjoy that it's funny and makes a little social commentary too.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Overcoming Trauma and PTSD: A Workbook Integrating Skills from ACT, DBT, and CBT.

*sigh*....I really think I may have an obsession with self-help books.

They can be extremely useful and helpful, so it's great that you work hard with it.

But chat to your therapist about it, if you feel a heightening sense of 'compulsion' about it, and like, lots of fear and anxiety pushing you to do it more than what seems balanced and reasonable.... if you seem compelled to do it so much, that you have little time (or ability) to relax or do other things you'd like to do or need to do.

How to See Yourself As You Really Are
By the Dalai Lama
Translated and Edited by Jeffery Hopkins Ph.D
From Atria books

A very introspective book with a great deal of philosophy, as one would expect that requires some meditation to put into context. There are some political angles to it that I did not expect but in my opinion a good read for anyone seeking an alternate perspective on humility and enlightenment that doesn't require religious dogma.

GDPR

GDPR
I did the Ten Days to Self Esteem book. I really liked it.

I am a person who reads many books at the same time...

So far I REALLY like the self esteem book.

I normally read many books at the same time too,but for once I want to totally focus on just one.I want to devote all my time and attention into practicing everything I am learning from this one.It just feels really important that I do.

Sometimes it's hard to stay focused,so when I read "Pick up a pen or pencil and do the written exercise NOW!This is VERY IMPORTANT.Do you want to change your life?Then do the self-help assignments!", I regained my focus instantly...plus got a laugh out of it,because I wasn't expecting to read that. I have never read anything like that in a self-help book before,I don't think.Hopefully there will be more things like that throughout the book to keep my attention.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
This is why I LOVE David Burns. :) I believe he helps people grow in a self-empowering and self-endorsing sense of humour about themselves and their challenges. And he knows how to get you to enjoy the process and stick with something.... He knows, predicts, and circumvents the ways that the mind would otherwise get in its own way.

I think he really, really knows how to make the tools and the science WORK for people. Love the guy.... oh gosh is that the time already? I've got to get to work printing Dr. Burns Fan Club t-shirts......... :)

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It's funny but just before Christmas I was so desperate for a solution to my internal struggle that I ordered about ten books at once from amazon, everything from Acceptance and Commitment books, Mindfulness, self esteem, OCD and anxiety. It cost me quite a bit and I totally overwhelmed myself trying to read them all at once, desperate to try and fix myself. Now they are sitting in a big pile because I don't have the focus to remember what is in them when I try to read them.

I guess I have come to realize, I don't really need to be fixed but I just need to deal and accept this internal struggle better and quit putting my life on hold waiting for this problem to go away. I'm trying to be a person that might be struggling with OCD and other issues living a life rather than waiting for all these issues to resolve to begin my life.

It's hard though. Not sure why I shared this. Just thought that the self help books always call out to me and that I am using them for the wrong reasons.

GDPR

GDPR
I guess I have come to realize, I don't really need to be fixed but I just need to deal and accept this internal struggle better and quit putting my life on hold waiting for this problem to go away. I'm trying to be a person that might be struggling with OCD and other issues living a life rather than waiting for all these issues to resolve to begin my life.

I like the realization you had.

I think I am waiting for 'THEE' book that will actually cure me.I have been reading self help books my entire adult life.It's almost like an obsession or something.I have almost 150 of them on my kindle right now and tons of them on my bookshelves.

Not sure why I shared this

I'm glad you did.What you said will give me something to think about. Am I really trying to 'cure' myself or am I never finding 'thee' one because deep down I know I will never find it and I'm using it as an excuse to never get well.......

GDPR

GDPR

This has been on my mind since you posted it adaptive1. It has really made me do some deep thinking.

I think it's time for me to stop buying/reading self help books. I have read SO many throughout my adult life,and I haven't found the magic one yet. I don't need to keep reading,I need to start practicing what I have learned. Every day.

I also need to accept my diagnosis and really work with my therapist so that I can get well. I know I will never be cured,but it's time I start doing what needs to be done to help myself,instead of just reading what I need to do, so that I don't struggle so much.

I think I have been obsessing over self help books as a way to get rid of what's wrong with me,not to help manage what's wrong with me. I realize there's a big difference in the two. Kind of like a diabetic trying to find a way to not be diabetic instead of doing what they need to in order to manage it.

I'm not sure that makes sense,but it does to me,and I'm glad you posted what you did. Thanks.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
You said it much better than I did Lost in Thought, thats totally how I have been feeling. All the self help books in the world wont help me if I dont do what needs to be done instead of just compulsively gathering information on what needs to be done. I was not not suggested you are doing that, but I know that I was to a certain extent.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.