More threads by Cat Dancer

What exactly does this mean? Can you get well in therapy without it?

Is it when you transfer feelings that you have for other people onto your therapist? I wonder what happens if you don't really do that?

ladylore

Account Closed
Hi Janet,

Because of the nature of the client/therapist relationship there will naturally be situations come up in therapy that remind you of a situation in your family origin...and the client will unconsciously project those feelings on to the therapist.

For example, feeling close to your therapist because you share intense feelings with him/her. You may feel your therapist is your best friend. It naturally happens. One needs to remember however that their therapist can't really be their friend - see you socially as she/he needs to remain objective to assist you.

In turn, counter transferance is the opposite way. Therapists are human too and it is a kind of relationship, of a different sort. I know when I was do crisis counselling, what some clients told me affected me and I inturn needed to deal with my own feelings with my supervisor/co-workers.

Counter Transference is seen in a positve light these days...as I said before we are all human and all just trying to get by in the world.

Hope this helps :)

Oh, I really do love the dancing kitty.

Ladylore

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.