More threads by greenstarz

greenstarz

If somone were to call a helpline, like a suicide helpline, what would happen. Would they ask you questions, or would they just want you to talk? What would you even say? Would they make you give them you name and address, would they trace your number? What would they do? Does anyone have any experience with this?? Are people only supposed to call there if they are like one step away from doing it? Or can people call if they are just having those thoughts but feel like they might be able to make it for awhile longer? Is it better just to call your own mental health professionsals? I'm just confused. I'm just confused at what I feel anymore lately, it changes so much so often. That in itself is so hard to handle. I'm ok, I just need these answers so I'm not as scared aabout asking for help. I've always just *acted* and did sometihing bad, I don't know if I've ever asked for help before acting. I don't know. I want to be better.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: calling a helpline

To answer a couple of your questions:

No, you don't have to be feeling suicidal to call. A major goal of suicide prevention is to help prevent people from feeling that desperate in the first place. For example, for the U.S. national suicide prevention hotline, you only have to be in "emotional distress" to call. Most people who call are not suicidal.

Also:

In 723 of 1,431 calls, for example, the helper never got around to asking whether the caller was feeling suicidal.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/suicide/9098-a-study-of-suicide-hotlines.html

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP

Call and ask for help. If you are asking the question you know you need the help - call!

greenstarz

But what if they don't believe me, or what if they don't t hink it's a big deal....i can write how I feel, but when it comes to talking, I go blank and freeze. Or worse, what if they trace the call and call the police and make me go to the hospital. My mom thinks I should never be in the hospital, she thinks I'm making too big a deal out of it....not that I even see her often but she is usually the one that has to transport me. I wish I could be stornger and not feel this way. I think I'll make it til tomorrwo to see my therapist. I didnt tell my psychiatrist about how bad it was today because I didnt want her to send me inpatient. I sort of wish I would have told her now. Just taking that huge step of saying those words is too hard for me. I wish my therapist would insist on me going in, but i dont want to go in as well. I am so difficult when it comes to this i know I am. I just get overwhelmed an would rather pretend nothing was wrong until all of a sudden it hits me and tears me apart which is how i feel righ t now. but ill just take extra trazadone and maybe an antihistimine and sleep a lot tonight. sorry i went on like this. i just for a moment thought a helpline might be a good idea, but its too scary.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Is it better just to call your own mental health professionsals?

I think that would be more ideal, depending on the therapist's policy. Some therapists are better than others at calling back, etc. But certainly during off-hours like 2 AM in the morning a crisis hotline will usually be the way to go, I think.

And some therapists who work in a community clinic will just always ask patients to call a certain local crisis number if they are feeling suicidal so that there is no waiting around.

greenstarz

no one has tto reply to this. im just trying to sort this out. I feel so desperate right now. I feel like i should go to the hospital. I;m not an immediate risk, i can make it though. I just feel so trapped and alone and desperate. I just want to give up so bad right now. I hope my therapist suggests the hospital tomorrow, but what if i feel ok wehn i see her???? I don't know if that means I should even go to the hospital. Am I ok enough to make it at home???? I feel so confused about going to the hositapl. I need someone to force me to go. I always feel like Im not sick enough to go even when I feel so bad. I never knoww how sick is sick enough to go so i end up doing soemthing drastic to justify going to the hospital. I feel so messed up inside right now. I dont know what to even think anymore. SHould I try to wait for the cymbalta to start working.....thats a LIFETIME until that hapens. I dont feel like i fit anywhere. I know i shouldnt be saying all of this. I feel so lost. I feel like i cant find any comfort anymore or relax anymore. SOmethings wrong with me. I dont know what this is thats happening righ now in my life. I dont know if its the bipolar or borderline or what. Ive read borderlines shouldnt be in the hospital. I dont feel like i belong anywhere. I just cant stop crying. I feel suspended in spacce. everything feels frozen. i do want to end it but iim not threatening that or anything. i hope my therapist sees how i feel, i hope i dont hide it, i hope i feel brave and i hope she talks aaout the hospital. IM SORRY for wrtiting all of this......i can just imagine all of you people being so annoyed and fed up with my ramblings. i feel like im a burden, im sorry i still feel that way to those of you whove tried to say i'm not. i don't know why i cant believe you. im sorry.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

But what if they don't believe me, or what if they don't t hink it's a big deal....i can write how I feel, but when it comes to talking, I go blank and freeze. Or worse, what if they trace the call and call the police and make me go to the hospital.

BTW, from what I have just read elsewhere, it seems at least the U.S. hotline is currently do a great job at assessing risk -- neither being too overprotective or being dismissive.

It seems the important thing when calling a crisis hotline is to answer their questions. A small minority of people who call will refuse to answer followup questions about suicide intent and will then hang up. That seems to result in a call back and if no response, a possible call to 911. But it seems only about 1 in 20 calls or so results in the police being involved. And those calls are dramatically different than the other calls, e.g. the caller has a gun and seems at risk of suicide.

Banned

Banned

Hi greenstarz,

Even if you feel ok tomorrow make sure you mention how you've been feeling to your therapist so she can have an understanding of what you've been going through. Therapy isn't necessarily about how you feel at the second you're in their office but how you've been doing since your last appointment.

How long has it been since you started on the Cymbalta?

Have you been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder or Bipolar Disorder? (Sorry if you mentioned that elsewhere - I haven't seen it if you did). I'm diagnosed with Borderline and everything you're expressing is familiar to me. I'm not saying that means you have Borderline if you havent' been diagnosed, just that what you're experiencing is not specific to you so please don't think that you're the only person who has felt this way - there are people who can truly empathize through their own experiences.

Right now the most important thing is to stay safe. Do you have a means to ensure you stay safe until you see your therapist? Please write as much as you need to - whatever will help.

greenstarz

i thinkive given up on the hlpline idea if theres a risk of them calling 911. i cant take that risk. im too scared. im sorry i dont mean to sound difficult. :(

yes turtle, i have been diagnoised with bipolr and borderline.......thanks for undrestanding the feelings i feel......i just feel so alone....thank ou for saying you understnad and have been through it.........i dont know what you mean about a means to ensure i stay safe.........im just going to try not to do anyting until i see my therapist.......sometimes it works if i say to myseld,,,,,u can hurt youself when u get home from therapy. and then usually after i talk to my therapist i feel a little better, adnt the i set another time goal of what i have to do before i can hurt myself and just hope that i dont feel like it when that thing is over

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

i forgot to say.......i will start the cymbalta tomorrow. i just got it today....i ws takingg welbutrin btu i guess it just hasnt been doing ag oog job

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

i forgot to say.......i will start the cymbalta tomorrow. i just got it today....i ws takingg welbutrin btu i guess it just hasnt been doing ag oog job

Yeah, I would think something more sedating could possibly help. Cymbalta can be somewhat sedating as a side effect. Wellbutrin is often somewhat stimulating, which can be good or bad depending on one's mental health status.

BTW, regarding the suicide hotline, an example of what I was talking about in regards to the police being called: "Repeatedly asked her if she could be safe today but she would not give an answer and kept going back to the idea that she really wanted to die."

greenstarz

i didnt know that...thansks for the info...........also sometone told me that geodon doseage above 180mg can cause irritablity.....today she bumped me up to 200mg......i dont know if that will make things worse now.....

an option that might help with talking with her if you should need it.

Would it help with your apt if you were to print off post #6,?? in this thread?
I think it says so much about where you are and how you are feeling and also how you are trying to cope, (exploring the options etc). You could use it to remind yourself to tell her, or you could show it to her. This way ( if as you say you could be feeling ok when you see her,) she gets a good and clear understanding of where you are ( and have been this past week for inst).

:hug:

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

How are you doing this morning Green? :)

greenstarz

i have copied that post you said and am doing a little editing and adding on some and am sending it to my therapist. she might not read it by my appt time at 4:30, but maybe she will. I will print it off and bring it as well. sheneeds to know this stuff. today is going to be another hard day. i had a desperate idea of calling my brother once it gets a little later in the morning and seeing if he can come over. but he works, but has days off. maybe he'll be able to and that way i'll be safer. i woulnd't hurt myself or OD with him around and i adore him and he is a joy to me andmakes me feel good.

you know, in real life i can not stand the sensation of touch.......but on here, hugs feel really good. i hope you dont mind this: :grouphug4:

Retired

Greenstarz,

I participated in a training course in suicide intervention, the same course used by people who staff crisis lines. What they will likely do is ask you a number of questions, following a specific protocol to determine exactly what your need happens to be. Once that is established and the counselor understands your situation, they should present you with various options available in your geographic area where you can go for help and guidance. Their job is not to provide therapy, because they are not trained for that, but rather they are like St. John Ambulance, where they provide first aid, and then tell you where you can go to get professional help. Then it's up to you to act on the information you've been given.

What's most important, when thoughts of suicide occur, is to reach out for help. Suicidal thoughts are the result of distorted thinking, and by reaching out for help, you can be guided to professional resources.

Have you ever acted on your suicidal thoughts in the past, and tried to carry out your plan? Do you actually have a plan at this time? Do you have a therapist to whom you can report your thoughts of suicide?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

they should present you with various options available in your geographic area where you can go for help and guidance.

And it seems in the U.S., the national hotline will usually refer the person to a local crisis center, which is listed on their website in the first place (though they don't list the crisis center phone numbers):

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - Crisis Center Locator

For example, for the Miami hotline: "More than 180,000 people per year call us for free, confidential telephone counseling, crisis intervention, suicide prevention, and information and referral services."

greenstarz

Have you ever acted on your suicidal thoughts in the past, and tried to carry out your plan? Do you actually have a plan at this time? Do you have a therapist to whom you can report your thoughts of suicide?

I have a therpaist that i se today, i am hoping i will be ablle to convey how i am feeling to her. i have acted on the thoughts in the past and it wasw quite serious. i have a plan currently but i feel like i always have a plan. id ont know if it realy matters anymore. i dont know if my therapist will do anything.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

BTW, you therapist can help you with further developing your coping skills, including relaxation techniques. According to the studies done on DBT, such skills can help reduce the need for hospitalization while also lowering the risk of suicide (and the incidence of self-injury).

Retired

i dont know if my therapist will do anything.

That would be unfortunate, but if it is the case, it is up to you to locate a local resource that will assist you. This is where your local crisis line can be of help, because they know the resources available in your geographic area.

Some options for resources could be a close and trusted family member or friend on whom you can call when you have thoughts of suicide, and who can come over and stay with you. You might also have a spiritual advisor on whom you could call, the ER of your local hospital or try to find another therapist who will address your concerns more directly.

As a first step, get rid of the devices involved in your plan, and refrain from using alcohol or unprescribed drugs.

Tell your therapist you currently have a plan and that youhave acted on a plan in the past.

Remember that suicidal thoughts are the result of ditorted thinking, and that your therapist should help you resolve that issue. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and there are always solutions to temporary problems.

Do you have family that you are close to nearby?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

At the minimum, increasing the frequency of therapy visits, such as to twice a week, may help. But you may have done that already.

And, as Steve says, the most important thing you can do is to get rid of anything tempting, like old pills. Even with people (like myself) who tend to mostly have just obsessive thoughts about suicide, getting rid of the means or anything related to that can decrease those obsessions.

greenstarz

my therapist stronly recommended that I go to the hospital, but she told me I have to decide. RIght now I'm not going. it's too hard to go. too my anxiety.
too much work. too many fears/

my therapist is going on vacation next week, but i would up it to two sessions if she were going to be here. ive done that before and it has helped. i dont knwo what i'm going to do for a whole week without her :( she gave me the name of her co worker but ive never even met that person.

I have tons of old pills that i keep as a security blanket. how do you even get rid of them? what should I even do with them? I'm talking a lot of pills. I don't know if i can do it :( get rid of them i mean. I should have brought them to my therapist. maybe thats a stupid idea.

i don't go around or drink alcohol---ever. it's a big trigger for flashbacks.

As far as family or friends,I have my little brother. I can't talk about how i feel with him really, but being with him does help distract me sometimes. He wasn't able to come over today. I don't know when I can see him next.

I still havne;t ruled out the hospital idea. It's going to take a lot of thinking about it though. It just seems like a mountian to actually get to the hospital. BUt I am still thining about it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.