More threads by Retired

Kanadiana

I sorta-kinda fit in the category of "suddenly inflicted retirement" LOL ... I abruptly could no longer do my job/jobs due to physical problems, and can't do them ever again. All of my work has pretty much depended on me being physical on some level ... and none were enough to build a nest egg to fall back on or pay much into cpp so I am fallen back on the safety net of Provincial disability for medical coverages and support ... although am researching long-term possibilities of any little entrepreneurial something I'd be capable of home-based. Challenging.

If I were financially independent I'd probably love to get into collecting, and buying and selling via online. I enjoy history and "things" of history.

Other things I'd like to be involved in via online are things like networking to stop predators and crime especially drug related (world wide) ... there is far too much of this in our world and far too many vulnerable to being used and abused by gangs and other predators. Major drug rings equals major social and economic problems everywhere. So damned huge. Stopping one person stops at least that much.

My social concience needs to help somewhere, somehow in my own little ways ;) The collecting and other interests are pure interest and fun :)

K.

foghlaim

i have 20yrs before mandatory retirement, a nd as soon as i ge the go ahead to return to work again, i hope it's back driving for the company i was with before i fell ill. as for retirement itself, i would hope to be able to have the ability and cash, to drive all over Ireland at my own pace and really take in all it has to offer.
prob take a yr or two there is so many places i haven't been yet. so that's my plan for now.

nsa

Retired

Planning for retirement is a long range process, unless you happen to come into a financial windfall. Even when people inherit or win a large sum of money, if they do not have the proper financial management skills, they often squander their windfall in a relatively short time.

So the decision about financial independence in retirement should be made fairly early in life to allow the financial forces or compounding interest and conservative investment strategies to have time to bear results.

As aside from financial considerations, there needs to be a purpose in one's life after the job such as Kanadiana's plan to collect online and to become involved in predator and crime prevention.

Some people plan to travel, while others plan to work on their leisure property, while others might pursue education.

There must be a long term goal, so that decisions during one's lifetime can be made with that goal in mind.

The goal might change or be modified, but without it a meaningful retirement plan is impossible.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.