More threads by rsting89

rsting89

Not sure where to ask I need help...I don't know if this depression, low-esteem, social anxiety, all of the above, none of the above...I just dont know :(

First of all I'm 21yo guy and almost always have zero energy and always feel down, unhappy, lonely, just like some huge loser at times and don't feel like doing anything. I don't know if it's because I'm extremely self-conscious or what but I hate going out or doing anything with friends.

What I don't get is I don't think it's social anxiety because I have no problem interacting with people, or if I'm making a speech or whatever BUT if I were to go into a bar alone or some public event alone the anxiety increases immensely and I think it's because of my low self-esteem :(

Another that that is really really really bothering my is I am always imaging myself in the future, always saying "when I get to this point in life I will be doing this and that" but I'm so lazy, so unmotivated, so uninterested.

I mean, why do I just not feel like doing anything? I KNOW I want to but why am I so unmotivated????

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I don't know if this depression, low-esteem, social anxiety, all of the above, none of the above...
That's why they have mental health professionals :) Your family/general physician can refer you to a psychologist and/or psychiatrist. You would also need to see your family physician to rule out anything physical.

If you are in college, your university may have a no-cost mental health counseling center.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Regarding depression and anxiety in general:

In any given year, about 11 percent of the population of the United States will have a depressive disorder, and 19 percent of us will suffer from depression at some point in our lives...

75% of people with depression suffer from another psychological problem; 59% also have anxiety disorders

Amazon.com: Beat the Blues Before They Beat You: How to Overcome Depression (9781401921682): Robert L. Leahy: Books
Surveys have long shown that 60 to 70 percent of people with major depression also have an anxiety disorder, while half of anxiety-disorder sufferers also have symptoms of clinical depression.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/psycholo...-anxiety-and-depression-one-and-the-same.html
In any given year, about 18 percent of Americans will suffer from an anxiety disorder.

Anxiety Free: Unravel Your Fears ... - Google Books

tasha

Hi rsting89... welcome to the forum :)

The fact that you reached out here is a great start. Daniel & Yuray are right about talking to your doctor as the first step. Tell your doctor just what you said here and make sure he/she knows how concerned you are about it.... in other words, don't let them blow it off! Your feelings and concerns are legitimate and it's important that you find out what's going on. Speak openly with your doctor and don't despair. Keep us posted rsting89 :2thumbs:

charlene

Hi rsting89... welcome to the forum :)

The fact that you reached out here is a great start. Daniel & Yuray are right about talking to your doctor as the first step. Tell your doctor just what you said here and make sure he/she knows how concerned you are about it.... in other words, don't let them blow it off! Your feelings and concerns are legitimate and it's important that you find out what's going on. Speak openly with your doctor and don't despair. Keep us posted rsting89 :2thumbs:

1+

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.